Telling nail biter about weekly appointments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo's Nails

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I put the pic on my Facebook page of a sculpted nail on a nail biter, I kept it very short and natural, there was also a very bitten nail next to it to show the difference. A lady then contacted me and explained that she is a bitter and wanted what was shown in the picture. We have been keeping in touch through email.
The lady explained that she is a serial nail bitter and she wants false nails and to grow her own nails but had been told that it's not possible (I don't know why). I explained that I used a cover pink and that I hadn't put a tip on etc.

I told her that she needs weekly maintenance appointments for a while to make sure that she is keeping them on and she had to oil on a regular basis to repair any damage that had been done and that it will take a lot of hard work on her part. I haven't heard from her for a few days, not sure if I have put her off or if she is busy.

My question is.. When do you tell a nail bitter bout weekly appointments/maintenance?

Do you tell her before hand or after she has had the treatment to get the sale?

I thought I was being honest and preparing a potential client about the process as I would rather the client come back and become a regular client and love her nails.

Jo.x

Hi, In my opinion you should always be upfront and honest with a client. I've lost a lot of business when I've told a client that X isn't suitable for thier needs, but I'd rather that than get a bad name for poor service..hope it helps :)

with severe nail biters I will always be upfront and honest.

I will advise that their habit won't be solved easily or cheaply as it becomes so ingrained and sub-concious that they will, even with a protective coating, keep biting and nibbling which will destroy my hard work...

The only solution is that it costs a lot and requires constant maintenace (weekly until 'I' deem they can go to 2 weeks, and only longer if 'I' ever deem it appropriate)

I explain that to change the sub-concious habit I need to create a new association with finger in mouth now = $$$ so that it snaps them back out of the nibbling...

hope that helps.. It has worked well for me, I have found if they won't accept my challenge of cost/constant service they simply won't stop biting and will never get a good nail service that lasts...

Thanks jillybob,
I was talking to a business adviser about it today and he said "Ah that's where you've gone wrong you should have gotten her in first to make the sale then told her about the maintenance" Got me second guessing my self business wise. xx

Thanks Envy,
I know I have done right by being honest, I hope she has been busy and will get in touch.xx

You where right to tell her from the beginning! I have had a nightmare with a lady as I was doing a '4 week program' with shellac - explained everything b4 hand - done the first one for free 😡 plus a pinkie solar oil and aftercare leaflet and latex gloves!!!! Well.... Today was a month to the day we started and she has only been twice!! Despite my telling her she needs to come every week plus use solar oil to get the maximum benefits from the treatments - to which she told me 'if I think of it I'll use it'!! I should have known from the start - she had an apt this morning at 10 and txt me at 948 'I have a funny feeling I have an apt today' yes you do at 10 o clock!! 'Oh I'm sorry I'm at mummy n toddlers .... I finally grew a back bone and told her that I can't use her anymore as it was a 4 week course and its now over a month but il still go our it by removing and reapplying shellac - ' oh all the GEL is off now'!! 'Do you have any apts this afternoon'!!

That was a serious rant & I totally took over your thread - I do apologies!!

Therefore I agree you are right to explain it before hand & I would honestly draw up a contract if I where you!! I will in future! Lesson learned!!

Sorry ☺😊

some business advisor...love to know where they got their experience from! Imagine if you were the nail biter and you went in blind to an appointment and then after your told by the way you need to come in x times per month to get the results you want, how conned would you feel and the chances of you going back....nil probably. By being honest you have given the client the information to make an informed decision as to whether they can afford the treatment. You did the right thing x

Your business adviser obviously doesn't realise what an honorable profession we run!

Of course we should be up front about the services we are going to offer, how can a client otherwise decide if they want to commit, and clearly, in the case of a nail biter, you need commitment from the client if you are to help.

You were right. If this client can't spare the time for the maintenance, it is unlikely that you will be able to help her break the habit.

Latest posts

Back