Telling off family!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aimeelouise93

Reaction score
Need a little rant and some advice.

I cut and colour members if boyfriends family. They do are already charged at a discount. I give them £5-£10 off depending on the service theyre having.

They always ask the price, its as if they want it to be cheaper. They always say oh do you your mums hair etc for free at home or, when theyre in for their appointment? Theyre always late and ask for appointments at 12ish? I do say i have 12 or i have 12.30. Theres no inbetween.

Anyway theres always an issue? How am i best to handle this? I dont want to be seen ad cheeky, but i dont want to be messed around either.
Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just explain that they need to understand that your trying to earn a living and say you have to cover the cost of your time and products and you could have done someone eles in that time etc, and you vould always tell them there time is earlier than it is so they might show up on time e.g if appointment is at 12pm tell them its 11.45am hope this helps! X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

What job do they do?

Would they set meetings for 12ish?
Do they write contracts or chauffeur for less than the cost of petrol or mend computers all day then "just have a look at this for me" when you've invited them over for dinner...?

You've let them do this (we all do it!) and they've not thought about it if the shoe was on the other foot.

Be nice, but firm. Or you'll push back paying clients or fall out with them which would upset your home life.

Go for it. Good luck :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SalonGeek mobile app <- apparently my app doesn't tell me where the thread is! Oops! Going back to beauty now....

Last edited:
Just explain that they need to understand that your trying to earn a living and say you have to cover the cost of your time and products and you could have done someone eles in that time etc, and you vould always tell them there time is earlier than it is so they might show up on time e.g if appointment is at 12pm tell them its 11.45am hope this helps! X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

What job do they do?

Would they set meetings for 12ish?
Do they write contracts or chauffeur for less than the cost of petrol or mend computers all day then "just have a look at this for me" when you've invited them over for dinner...?

You've let them do this (we all do it!) and they've not thought about it if the shoe was on the other foot.

Be nice, but firm. Or you'll push back paying clients or fall out with them which would upset your home life.

Go for it. Good luck :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SalonGeek mobile app

I know i always think, they dont turn up for doctors, dentists or anything late! So why be late for a hair appt?

I know!it gets difficult once theyve gotten away with it once they think its okay to do it all the time!! Were self employed, so as you say were trying to make a living!!:thumbup::thumbup:

I just had his auntie sent a very nasty response, she wanted to speak to me about her colour and said she will call on tuesday so i said thats fine were here until three. So closing up about 5 past three and you get the im on m way. And i said sorry were closed now, she sent me a message saying she was not a bit happy she was helping me build my business and she was gonna have her colour done twice before christmas. And thats the thanks you get!!! Took some serious willpower to bite my tongue and say nicely that it was her mistake. :banghead:

Yes the earlier appt sounds like a good idea to try!!

Thanks!!:)

What do they give you in return?

Do they offer to do your laundry, bake cakes? If they do nice things for you in return for a permanent discount, fine.

Otherwise, they should be paying full price.

They're not helping you to build your business. They'd happily pay full price and be telling everyone how wonderful you are, if that was the case.

Just tell them NO MORE! They'll get over it.

What do they give you in return?

Do they offer to do your laundry, bake cakes? If they do nice things for you in return for a permanent discount, fine.

Otherwise, they should be paying full price.

They're not helping you to build your business. They'd happily pay full price and be telling everyone how wonderful you are, if that was the case.

Just tell them NO MORE! They'll get over it.

Nope they dont do anything like that! Its not like we swap services or anything. Nothing nice at all, they just expect more money off. I think what they want is the privelege my mum,nanny etc get which is it for free lol.

I know i think that will be the end of my favours, especially after how she spoke to me today!! :rolleyes:

Im a terrible soft touch!! Wheres my backbone? Haha. X

Things like this grind my gears big time!
Just because people know you, no matter in what form, expect to be heavily discounted.

Would they badger you for cheaper prices if you worked in a supermarket or a shoe shop?

Come on Aimee time to grow a set and tell them it's thus price or go get it done elsewhere. To be fair I'm not sure the hassle they give you is worth it

Stand your ground!! *points a waving finger x

Confusion is a lifestyle - not a state of mind :eek:

Things like this grind my gears big time!
Just because people know you, no matter in what form, expect to be heavily discounted.

Would they badger you for cheaper prices if you worked in a supermarket or a shoe shop?

Come on Aimee time to grow a set and tell them it's thus price or go get it done elsewhere. To be fair I'm not sure the hassle they give you is worth it

Stand your ground!! *points a waving finger x

Confusion is a lifestyle - not a state of mind :eek:

Thank you!! I know it is so aggrivating!

I know, when you would never think of expecting discount yourself, its hard to get your head round that some people do think its completely acceptable!!

Yes i have ready told my other half that when she messes up her hair with home colour (which is what happened before she came to me) she can go elsewhere, im not interested! Haha.

Yes I am going too! Shall send them all a diplomatic text explaining that fanily discounts are no more.

Thanks so much!!

As I'm very busy, my friends and family know that if they come into the salon for their hair they have to pay full price. Otherwise I could use the time for other full paying clients.
I only do family and a select few friends out of work and it's when I am available. What I charge them is then up to my discretion. As long as they cover the cost of colour then a bottle of wine would happily do for me ;)
I've often had friends recommend other friends to me but they are informed they will have to come to the salon and no discount is offered. If they choose not to have me it's no bother to me.
Put your foot down with these people. If they want to be your client they have to be treated as so.

I can only repeat what others have said, a firm but polite book an appointment, no discounts policy. You (like they do) have to survive in this world. If they owned a pub, they wouldn't allow their family and friends to drink them out of business on freebies, being a hairdresser is no different xx

some family members can be flakey with appointment timekeeping, for me it was easy to be firm and say along the lines of;
"yo snitches you're getting this for free so shaaaat up n put up lol" (he he he i really didnt say it like this but it was strongly implied!--im not ghetto lol)

...and when my hands started to reacted to the contact dermatitis it was easy to say well you can always go elsewhere. i know they wouldn't be as picky or do this with my other staff or at other places but family have a way of showing support in critical constructive feedback lol. in other words find a way to moan about how everything! Its just the way it is.

My advice is to be firm and direct don't pander to the whims of family members and remember who in charge! maybe a little bit of cheekiness is what you need since they're family! (choose your friends but cant pick your family!) xoxo

Latest posts

Back