Telogen Effluvium-OK to highlight (bleach) roots?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparklylove

Reaction score
Please can only people who know about Telogen effluvium or similar reply, thankyou.

Hi everyone

I have been going through hair loss Telogen effluvium due to stress which is easing off now after 3 scary months.

A month ago I wanted to get my much needed roots re-highlighted (with bleach) as I have all my life. The last time they were highlighted was Dec 2012 before the Telogen effluvium started.

My Doc said that this would be completely OK and voluntarily wrote an official note to my hair-dresser saying that this would not effect any shedding. My hairdresser, at first said that she would do a test area and then when it came to it, she said that she had spoken to a dermatologist and said she wouldnt do it. I understand she has to protect her business etc, but the Doc note covered that. Plus it was only a test area.

Now the shedding is easing, would it be safe to have a test area bleached?

Has anyone come across this before? Any views welcome and appreciated.

I am in a muddle over the conflicting opinions and I dont want to go to a different h-dresser I dont trust who would prob do it.

Yes, off scalp os fine. It won't affect the hair loss at all. I can understand your stylist being wary, we live in litigious times, and unscrupulous clients have sued hairdressers for performing services claiming that previous hair loss was caused by the stylist.

Too true Persianista.
Anything off scalp ( in foils or such like) will not affect the hair loss, however its important for the stylist not to apply to much traction when putting the foils in. Sounds silly but Ive seen some stylists really yank the hair in to the foils.
Also, for the Telogen Effluvium have a look at the Redken Intra Force range.
Ive used it for hair loss myself and swear by it
x

Thankyou for your reply and so the answer I was hoping for. With highlights, the bleach goes near the roots but never touches it, right?

Just out of interest, if a colour that was put on which wasnt bleach but was painted on the roots and scalp would that effect my condition?

Thanks in advance

A test would be good first thou, do you think just to be sure, before I get the lot done?? I have shoulder length hair and desperately want to keep the hair I have remaining

Thankyou for your reply and so the answer I was hoping for. With highlights, the bleach goes near the roots but never touches it, right?

Just out of interest, if a colour that was put on which wasnt bleach but was painted on the roots and scalp would that effect my condition?

Thanks in advance

It shouldn't, but do you really want to find out the hard way?

Too true Persianista.
Anything off scalp ( in foils or such like) will not affect the hair loss, however its important for the stylist not to apply to much traction when putting the foils in. Sounds silly but Ive seen some stylists really yank the hair in to the foils.
Also, for the Telogen Effluvium have a look at the Redken Intra Force range.
Ive used it for hair loss myself and swear by it
x

As I am not a hairdresser, what particularly does the Redken Intra Force range do for hair loss, + any product in particular you can recommend, thanks xx

As I am not a hairdresser, what particularly does the Redken Intra Force range do for hair loss, + any product in particular you can recommend, thanks xx

It contains a chemical called Aminexil which - in layman's terms - basically stimulates the root (the follicle) in to active hair growth. Hair has various stages of growth, telogen being the resting stage.
Imagine your hair being asleep when its in its telogen stage, well the aminexil kicks it up the bum and gets it moving again.
Hope that made sense ;-)
xx

Hi everyone

Due to my telogen effluvium my hairdresser is still reluctant to do my roots with bleach.

Persianista you said "Yes, off scalp os fine. It won't affect the hair loss at all." How sure are you about this?

I am as nervous as my hairdresser, but Doc says OK.

Is there anything else I can say to my hairdresser to convince her it will be OK?

Thanks

It has been shedding for 4 mths now, I am hoping it will ease off, but looks 10 times worse due to my extra dark roots (2 inches) with bleach blond hair!!!:cry:

Hi everyone

Due to my telogen effluvium my hairdresser is still reluctant to do my roots with bleach.

Persianista you said "Yes, off scalp os fine. It won't affect the hair loss at all." How sure are you about this?

I am as nervous as my hairdresser, but Doc says OK.

Is there anything else I can say to my hairdresser to convince her it will be OK?

Thanks

It has been shedding for 4 mths now, I am hoping it will ease off, but looks 10 times worse due to my extra dark roots (2 inches) with bleach blond hair!!!:cry:
You see, when you put it like that, in litigious times, nobody is gonna give you a definitive answer, certainly not me :(
I can't see, feel, or check your hair. I don't know your hair history, so it is HIGHLY UNFAIR to pressure me for an exact answer no?

persianista, hey I am truelly sorry for offending you in any way, it was not intentional at all.

I have re-read what i wrote and it didnt come across right. And I agree HIGHLY UNFAIR

I hope hope you accept my apology.

J x

Latest posts

Back