Temporary way to stick tips on?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan27

Reaction score
hey geeks!

i need some advice/help,

as part of one of my last hairdressing assignments, i am doing a photoshoot and i decided to do wizard of oz, i've been planning for months and i need to do 2 models (dorothy and the witch), my friend is modelling as dorothy and ive decided to do red glitter nails, and for the witch i wasnt to do really long stillettos in black and green!

for dorothy's nails im doing them in L&P and my friend will keep them on, but for the witch i was planning on jsut sticking a tip on and blending and polishing,

my question is, what is best to stick the tip on temporarily (for an hour of sitting down so dont need to be durable)

should i jsut use my polubond adheisive from nsi or is there a trick of the trade that could help?

thanks in advance and sorry for the essay!

:):lol:

imo you would be best to stick it on as usual as its going to need to be held well enough for you to file the shape etc... then you could always remove with acetone and would only take a few minutes to get off
hth

Now this is very spooky because I have seen this somewhere today. Oh its just come to me it is in the NVQ nail technician handbook. For photo shoots they suggest sticky pads, but gawd knows where you get them from.

thanks!!

do you think its the same sticky pads available in some press on nails? or is that a big no-go?

or maybe the little pads for crafts?

i can shape the tip etc before the actual day and pre blend abit, so really only needs to be strong enough to last about half an hour - an hour :)

:)

thanks!!

do you think its the same sticky pads available in some press on nails? or is that a big no-go?

or maybe the little pads for crafts?

i can shape the tip etc before the actual day and pre blend abit, so really only needs to be strong enough to last about half an hour - an hour :)

Hi hun, I have double sided sticky dots that I use for 3d cards. I get them from hobby craft:hug:

thankyou!

i know the ones you mean, ive seen them on the crafting show on qvc!

i hadnt though of that!

will go to hobbycrraft this week :)

thankyou!

i know the ones you mean, ive seen them on the crafting show on qvc!

i hadnt though of that!

will go to hobbycrraft this week :)

They also do some fab fine glitter (in the tubes) packs of 5 or 6 they mix well with the acrylic, 1 part glitter to 3 parts powder, I use pink for the dark glitters and clear with the light colours.
I know I'm bad:smack::green:

I worked on one of the Harry Potter films a few years ago (Rita Skeeter - those were my nails!!) and I used regular nail tip adhesive.

I actually used my electric file to file out the well area to make full covering tips.
I tailored the tips to fit, blue tacked them on to wooden manicure sticks, painted them overnight so they were dry and then I could literally just stick them on with tip adhesive and soak them off later.

If I had full covering tips available at the time, I would have used those!!

Gina xx

susie, that might be good if i can get green?

i was going to put the tip on paint with clear topcoat and then sprinkle glitter on and fine glitter would be great! the green i have i think might be a bit chunky so will have a look for the stuff in hobby craft!

thanks for all your help!

and gina, i jsut looked n google for rita skeeters nails, and wow!!!

i think i might try the dots first, since she wont have to use her hands or pick anything up, as they will be less hassle to get off, and if that doesnt work il use my tip adhesive :)

thanks everyone :)

I read (either on a forum or a nail mag) that applying L&P over a coat of top coat will make it super easy to get them off again. It was used as a tip for when you couldn't get lots of models to practice on - just apply top coat, then do your L&P. The L&P won't adhere, so it's easy to get them off (I think they said just to wiggle them a bit, but I'm sure a little acetone would do the job in a minute or two).

I'll try to find the link where I read this!

that sounds quite good!

but wouldnt the monomer "melt" the topcoat?

and gina, i jsut looked n google for rita skeeters nails, and wow!!!

do you know I didn't even ever google Rita Skeeter - there are some great shots of the nails that I did - how cool :)

Gina xx

that sounds quite good!

but wouldnt the monomer "melt" the topcoat?

Don't know... I have to redo mine this week, so I'll try it on a nail and see what happens.

I know I read this in a magazine, probably Scratch as it's the only one I have a subscription to, so I'll keep looking for it!

Let us know what you try!

i have no nails on now and was going to do them tommorrow or friday, i will have a go and see! :D

it sounds like a good idea!

thnks!

andil keep you posted :)

Latest posts

Back