Tennis elbow

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debz

Reaction score
Hi peeps need a bit of help!!!

Lately my elbow has been playing up and I wondered if any of you could give me different ideas to try to aliviate it a bit.
I have a support that sits just under the elbow but its a bit cumbersom after a while n doesn't really do anything.
Tried the steroid injection bout 6 months ago n that was great but you can't move arm for 2/3 days n def not work for first week as it comes up in bit of lump and big bruise(and that normal!!!!!!):rolleyes: .

Any ideas apart from amputation would be good!!!:)

Debz xxxx

Hi

My husband was referred to a physio by our doctor recently as he'd had sore elbows for some time. He was also offered the injection but wanted to try something else before resorting to medication.
The physio asked if the doctor told my husband that he had 'tennis elbow'. My hubby siad yes. She replied by saying that they nearly always say that with any elbow pain.
So the short of it is that he does not have tennis elbow. She easily diagnosed that it was the way that he was holding his head that was the problem.
He how has excercised to do which have made a big difference to him -
he sits upright on a chair and pulls his chin towards the back of his neck. Aparently this releases the strain across the shoulders and down the arms.

You've obviously been to the doctor to have your injections but has the physio seen you? If not it might be worth asking.

Theres nothing worse than being in constant pain so I hope that you get this sorted out soon.

Best wishes and good luck

This is a reply I made to the same question sometime ago ... I hope it is helpful.

I had been doing nails for about 5 years and had NEVER had a break even for a holiday (that's why I retired early!) I also had never had the slightest twinge of pain ever.

Came back after a 2 week break and within DAYS I had both shoulder pain and pain in the elbow of my working hand. Couldn't figure it out and it went on for 2-3 weeks before I realized someone else in the salon had changed the height of my chair. I would have noticed the change instantly if I hadn't had the holiday break but being away I didn't notice on my return.

I was basically working without my forearm resting on the table for support and that was what caused all the problems. If it hurts, you are doing something wrong!!

Arms should always be supported by the table.
Your bottom should be well back in your seat with your back well supported.
You should not be 'hunched over' your client's hand with your nose in your work - get a good light and magnifying glasses if you can't see well enough to work sitting straight.
Raise your client's arm on an armrest or a rolled towel so that you do not have to support it or fight for possession of it!
Finally always point balance your working hand either on the table or by resting on a finger your other hand... just as any other artist would do. You can't work well with a brush when your working hand is not balanced.

Hi Debz

Just another thought. He was advised to use one of those gel pads for support when using his computer.
Hope this helps.

Hi Debz,

Inspite of doing nails for a long time now AND using all the valuble steps that geeg suggested ,recently i have had the same problem as you with a painful elbow . I had a hol a few weeks ago and thought it would improve but it did'nt.

I bought myself an elbow support . The elasticated ones used for sport . I have found that this has helped me a lot . I also now use my electric file for SOME of my filing (mostly for taking back the whites and cols ). If it gets too bad (which it hasn't lately due to the support)I take an anti inflammatory pill like Ipuprofen but I don't like to do this too often . Try the elbow support and watch ,as geeg said the way you sit ect .

Kind Regards
Karen
Light Elegance UK :)

Thanx for the tips peeps will def try them all!!!

I know due to an on going back problem that I do tend to sit a bit squiffy in chairs, but I didn't realise the way I sat would effect my elbow:rolleyes: .
Yellow pages here I come.
Thanks loads

Debz xx

My mum had acupuncture for tennis elbow - worked a treat. I have another prob though, think you could call it Geek Bum! I'm gonna have to get a better chair to stop my derriere from going numb due to sitting her stuck to my laptop looking at Geek!
Debz said:
Thanx for the tips peeps will def try them all!!!

I know due to an on going back problem that I do tend to sit a bit squiffy in chairs, but I didn't realise the way I sat would effect my elbow:rolleyes: .
Yellow pages here I come.
Thanks loads

Debz xx

Ha ha ha ha :D !

I don't have that problem Sarah, must be all the extra padding I've stock piled!!!:D ;) :biggrin: :D

Debz xxx

Latest posts

Back