Terrible time with tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorraineandmia

Reaction score
Please could someone advise? Did tanning course a few weeks ago. Have been practising on friends. Majority have been fair skinned so used 6% Crazy Angel. Guide colour is real hard to work with. Two people now have hsd these missed bits on under forearm. This lady in pic, feet completely missed even though I did the cross action.

Finding tanning real hard at the moment. I wondered if an 8 or 9% better? But again would possibly be too dark for my fair skinned ladies.

Looks so easy when watching someone but boy hats off to all you experts

Any advice appreciate x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1404056261531.jpg
    1404056261531.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 331
  • 1404056286876.jpg
    1404056286876.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 328
Once I finish tanning each client, I ask them to slowly turn around so I can check I haven't missed anywhere. I also get them to hold out their arms sort of twisting them one way then the other so can check they are even. Also find asking them to step out of the tent where the lighting is better can help. Have you got a clamp on light for your tent? I've been thinking of getting one of these too. It takes time to get your confidence so keep practising and you'll be fine. Good luck xx

Please could someone advise? Did tanning course a few weeks ago. Have been practising on friends. Majority have been fair skinned so used 6% Crazy Angel. Guide colour is real hard to work with. Two people now have hsd these missed bits on under forearm. This lady in pic, feet completely missed even though I did the cross action.

Finding tanning real hard at the moment. I wondered if an 8 or 9% better? But again would possibly be too dark for my fair skinned ladies.

Looks so easy when watching someone but boy hats off to all you experts

Any advice appreciate x

The problems you are encountering are not uncommon to newbies..just bear in mind that your trainer or demo is undertaken by someone with experience and of course they will make it look so easy...rest assured given time, usage and the making of and learning by many mistakes made that it will all suddenly click and you will be away .

To answer your question...it is not the solution concentrate that you need to change or is the problem...its simply technique ...stick to the regime you were taught and keep at it....a lot of companies train techniques differently but in the early stages definitely stick to the way you were taught...you can through gaining experience and as your confidence grows you can adapt to suit your specific style your application technique

The only thing that I could specifically suggest and not trying to get you to look at using an alternative brand however I think you will effect more total coverage by using a solution that has a higher initial guide colour as you will be able to see far better where you have actually applied solution to the skin.

Alternatively look at the lighting in the work area..is tis adequate for you to see clearly ???

In conclusion...don't beat yourself up...be patient.. keep trying knowing you are going to make mistakes in the beginning...use those mistakes to learn by

HTH and good luck with your venture

I still now after 5 years tanning always ask clients to stand out of the tent and do a full turn arms up/down and check insides of legs just to be sure in artificial and daylight if possible.

There is nothing wrong in being thorough and this will put your mind at rest - as Collin said 'don't beat yourself up' we have all been there take your time and enjoy xx

Thank you all. Much appreciated. I did a few turns of client after I had finished and it looked even. I am going to slightly up the percentage of the solution and get a close friend to be a guinea pig :)

I think my gun is set ok. Although I only bought an entry level gun TS10 but it seems to be spraying lovely and fine. I do keep forgetting not to stop and start the gun on the client though so that's my bad.

Good job I have lots of willing friends with lots of exfoliator. Thank you

I'm having the opposite problem - did my spray tan course last week and my first guinea pig ended up looking like Magda from Something about Mary! Even though I used barrier cream, her hands and feet were totally orange!!! So embarrassing and I felt terrible for her to have to walk around like it. What's the best barrier cream to use? I'm using White to Brown but am wondering if vaseline would be better?

I bought the Classic Glam machine and find it's spaying really freckley - anyone know why this would be? I've tried turning the dial up/turning it down, changing the pressure setting, standing further away, cleaning it....

In summary, don't beat yourself up - I am also having a terrible time and now noone will let me practise on them! :) xx

Oh dear. Sorry to hear you are having problems too. At least we know we arent the only ones :)
Im using Acquarius cream from boots. Or a thick cheap moisturiser like Nivea. Its working really well. In the pic I only put barrier cream on her toe nails so goodness knows how feet got missed lol. She looked like shed been on a nudist beach in socks ha ha.

Another problem im having is I was trained to raise the clients arm so I can spray inner arm and down side. Well im so short I cant reach. Gonna have to invest in a small stool :)

My friend had to sell her glam as it was coming out freckly. She had it checked over and machine was fine but it was still coming out spotty. There's a few posts on here about the Glam being freckly. As for barrier cream, try the Sienna X one. Vaseline is a complete barrier so anywhere you use Vaseline, the dha will not penetrate and that area will stay completely pale. The Sienna X one I love, as it's a partial barrier therefore the area will tan lightly. I use a clip on light and always ask the client to stand outside the tent and do a twirl for me. I also found there was a stripe down the inner arm that I kept missing but I now get the client to put their forearms out, lightly spray and then lift them in the air to check and spray any bits I've missed :) It does all come with practice and one day youll be spraying without giving it a second thought! Xx

Thanks HollyVictoria for your advice. I'm glad to know the freckly tan problem isn't anything to do with my technique! I rung Suntana this morning (where I purchased the Glam kit from) and they are exchanging it for a totally different machine so I'll see how I get on with the new one. I've also ordered some sienna x barrier cream so hopefully no more orange feet :) xx

I have the glam machine and it needs to be on high power and level 1 to come out ok. I also have to stand further away than is recommended in training or they end up looking like an Oompa Loompa. It's fine once you're used to it though I do find the number dial too loose - it doesn't click into position and therefore changes easily.

I'm having the opposite problem - did my spray tan course last week and my first guinea pig ended up looking like Magda from Something about Mary! Even though I used barrier cream, her hands and feet were totally orange!!! So embarrassing and I felt terrible for her to have to walk around like it. What's the best barrier cream to use? I'm using White to Brown but am wondering if vaseline would be better?

I bought the Classic Glam machine and find it's spaying really freckley - anyone know why this would be? I've tried turning the dial up/turning it down, changing the pressure setting, standing further away, cleaning it....

In summary, don't beat yourself up - I am also having a terrible time and now noone will let me practise on them! :) xx

If the solution is managing to penetrate the barrier cream your using, which is one supplied by your solution brand, then I suspect you are simply using far to much solution

How much are you actually using...should be around 50ml however not unusual for newbies to use far more in the early stages

HTH

Thanks Collin - that is highly likely my problem to be honest!

Thanks Collin - that is highly likely my problem to be honest!

pleasure....simply turn your gun outlet volume down...move closer in to the skin and trust in the solution...don't try to spray em brown...that happens by itself after development

keep at it and it will all drop into place in time

Good luck

God I used to go through half a litre when I started! Most of it was on the tent walls and floor...huge waste until I learned how to turn the gun down!!

I usually aim to be about a hands length away from the client when spraying...when I started I was miles away so had lots of overspray and lots of wasted solution.

You will 'get it' and tanning really is a matter of practice. Have you tried the couch roll test? I think getting the proper gun setting is key, and having a bit of a play around on couch roll means you aren't needing volunteers for that part. Once you get comfortable with that then rope in friends!

Latest posts

Back