Tesco announces major plans to move into salon market

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am very interested to see who will be supplying them.

on the one hand, it would be a huge opportunity for a supplier and probably financial suicide to turn them down.

but on the other, its a kick in the teeth to loyal therapists who have supported suppliers for years to then go on and supply a giant like tesco [or detesto as its known in my family] who may have a big impact on small businesses.

Interesting comments ... Having supplied many of the giants in my time I can tell you that most of them are not worth the problems they give you .. they ask for everything from you and believe it or not there is nothing like the return you would think. It is more financial suicide to deal with them than not to deal with them. These days I'd leave most of them to the suppliers desperate for some sort of recognition. Believe me these giants never make their choice because of the product .. it is all about who will supply them the cheapest and give them the longest credit terms.

I do not agree it is a kick in the teeth to therapists to supply them though. Tescos have as much right buy and to sell to as anyone else .. if the therapists are trained properly then it is a perfectly legitimate outlet for any supplier.

May not be our taste in venue but it will be for many ... These people do their homework they know the business is there or they wouldn't invest in it. One of the busiest nail salons around me is located in a supermarket right there for all the world to see .. the tech is always rammed. They are not daft.

OPI have been selling direct to the consumer for years and are going that way even more now with special collections to Sephora etc. And the technicians keep sucking it up. They don't stop buying it or consider it a kick in the teeth it seems.

Tesco aren't the cheapest supermarket in the UK but I am sure they will build a 'salon' in their store somewhere. My local one has just started shoe repairs and dry cleaning. It's not going to be a table in the middle of the milk aisle so if it works for them great.

I don't think it will have much effect on local salons as when you have a loyal client base then they will stay loyal to you. I wouldn't worry too much, there's new salons opening and closing all over the place. x

Tesco aren't the cheapest supermarket in the UK but I am sure they will build a 'salon' in their store somewhere. My local one has just started shoe repairs and dry cleaning. It's not going to be a table in the middle of the milk aisle so if it works for them great.

I don't think it will have much effect on local salons as when you have a loyal client base then they will stay loyal to you. I wouldn't worry too much, there's new salons opening and closing all over the place. x

:lol: a table in the middle of the milk aisle

"the nail bar is just down past the fresh veg, turn left at the canned goods, madam, and it's on your right in the middle of the milk aisle " :lol:

Morrisons supermarket did this a few of years ago up here, and it did not take off at all. it was a little stand at the end of the makeup and Beauty products aisle, not quite in amongst the supermarket proper more crammed in between the electrical goods and the veg aisle.
It never took off and although I was near one of the Stores doing it I never lost any clients.
I do remember one of my clients used it though....she would leave her elderly mother there to get her nails polished so she could do her shopping in peace!! and pick her up once she was done!!!

In my other life I am a mortgage broker and what happened... supermarkets offering loans and insurance even holiday companys offering loans and insurance (remember virgin) due to the recession I decided to retrain and run another business alongside my mortgage business which is nails and what happens Bloomin Tesco decide to follow me there too, - cannot imagine sitting in a supermarket listening to musak and screaming kids plus tannoys "all colleagues to the checkouts please" whilst my frozen food defrosts leaving a puddle on the floor and my husband ringing me to see where I am with his tea while I sit having my nails painted - real experience that will be won't it!

I think the majority of therapists and techs on here don't attract the type of client that Tesco will gain. Depending on what they are going to charge I think it will be the clients that haggle over the price, cause a fuss over nothing and generally make there therapists life a misery that will flock there not the the upscale client that wants a professional discreet service.

Maybe they will launch Tesco Tan :lol:

Will be very interesting to see if they get any big names on board, Im suprised Dermalogica haven't been signed up !

:lol: a table in the middle of the milk aisle

"the nail bar is just down past the fresh veg, turn left at the canned goods, madam, and it's on your right in the middle of the milk aisle " :lol:

Good directions Geeg :lol:

Latest posts

Back