Tesco announces major plans to move into salon market

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Hat

Reaction score
Tesco, Britain's largest supermarket store - selling everything from clothes to DVDs - confirmed today it's set to move into the beauty industry with a major roll out of in-store salons.

The news comes after the success of three existing Tesco salons and the announcement of two new beauty sites in Chesterfield and Leicester which are due to open by the end of January. It is aiming to open a possible 70 Tesco salons by next year.

It's a major development for retail giant Tesco, which is hoping to generate £15m turnover in its first year - and is likely to have an impact on independent salons up and down the country.

It is thought Tesco - which aims to go in direct competition with Boots to be the country's biggest health and beauty provider - will offer hair, nail and beauty services such as threading.

Attachments

• tesco-amble-tesco-653343341.jpg
    tesco-amble-tesco-653343341.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 297
Why oh why do these massive companies have to own the world? This will be another blow to smaller salons

This is not welcome news for any of us. Why can't they just stick to food.

It has started in a Tesco in Milton Keynes, a therapist sitting near the baskets with a table and chairs offering mani/pedi Gel and acrylics, Threading. I would not a treatment or give treatments in that enviroment.

I think it's disgusting. I do all my shopping at Tesco (well actually hubby does!) and think i may have to change to Morrisons!

It has started in a Tesco in Milton Keynes, a therapist sitting near the baskets with a table and chairs offering mani/pedi Gel and acrylics, Threading. I would not a treatment or give treatments in that enviroment.

I wouldnt want to give or receive a treatment in this environment either. I think its pretty unprofessional. If it was a one off for charity etc then this would be fine but not all the time.

I asked Tesco about this about 3 months ago and was told by a Tesco Manager that they are not allowed to because they already have the majority of all shops already ie phone shops etc so are not allowed to move into beauty. Wish they would make up their minds about these things.

This is ridiculous! Why do they need to do this!! I would never have treatments in a place like this.. I say stick with your local beauty salon!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek ..... Oh yeah!! Lovin the app!!

Why oh why do these massive companies have to own the world? This will be another blow to smaller salons

Such a shame.... i appreciate tesco for FOOD, and sometimes homeware - but beauty treaments? No thanx...

As someone away to set up a small mobile tanning business, i wonder how long il last as have a HUUUGE Tesco on my doorstep :((

I wouldnt feel comfortable recieiving a treatment in this environment - not would i be happy GIVING one!! No peace or serenity like in a salon.

they want a piece of everything .. where do they draw the line, sewage works? also read they'e going into cash for gold too, think might just have to shop elsewhere

i dont think it would be a very hmm Classy place to get something done!
as you can probably tell with it been bloody TESCO!! you can imagine all the woman saving the vouchers and getting there club card point! Hahahah

to be real we should be laughing at this!! tesco are not going to pay for the staff to be trained very well are they? hmm cant really see it been much competition to me and i dont think anyone els would? i dont think they are going to offer top quality services like Minx and Shellac (i think we should make S2 not let them have it :p) hehe

and really any client that would rather get her club card point and sit in between customer services and buro de change tesco are welcome to! my client love the warm environment and the privacy of been in the nail and beauty room!

I'm sure it wont affect us all that much :D (well i hope it doest) xx

I can't personally see it having much of an impact, most people I know can't wait to get out of the place!! Seriously though, they'll probably be paying the staff peanuts, they'll get monkeys and it will end up being a cheap and cheerful job, no serious threat to any upscale salon using professional products and systems.

If my local Tesco is anything to go by you spend a good half hour riding round trying to find a parking space, then go in already stressed out to find the place crammed with people and unhappy children. I for one can't wait to get out of the place. I try to do my shopping online and enter supermarkets only when I have to, this news will not change my mind

H xx

Let's face it ... Any therapist worth her salt, would be working for herself or in a nice environment not tescos.

But maybe certain ladies will get introduced to beauty services at the tesco end of the spectrum and go on to finer things later. :green:

It's Tesco ... they are only going to attract the customers who are motivated by price. More professional higher end salons won't see much impact. And its not the nicest of environments to go into is it.

And knowing how they treat their suppliers, will be interesting to see what systems / products they use.

Mat

On a positive note, it will raise awareness of beauty and nail services, as Geeg says, it could introduce a whole load of new people into the beauty market.

The more people who are having tans, manis, pedis, etc., the more people will be seeing them and wanting them too:)

In a strange way it would actually be better if Tesco offered a good service as opposed to a bad one:eek:

It would be interesting to hear from people who have this situation in their area already - how has it impacted business and what do the public think about it?

Last edited:
And knowing how they treat their suppliers, will be interesting to see what systems / products they use.

Mat

i am very interested to see who will be supplying them.

on the one hand, it would be a huge opportunity for a supplier and probably financial suicide to turn them down.

but on the other, its a kick in the teeth to loyal therapists who have supported suppliers for years to then go on and supply a giant like tesco [or detesto as its known in my family] who may have a big impact on small businesses.

Good god what will they do next - podiatry, doctors - wonder if it will be like their food range - basic blue/red treatment up to their 'top end' Tescos Finest treatments and what products would they use, nothing decent probably. Can you imagine walking out of their so called salon, and goodness knows how they will manage a nice quiet relaxing area in a supermarket, after a lovely relaxing body massage into all those noisy stressed out shoppers, I think not. I for one would never use them. Any good salon near a tescos won't have to worry. Beauty treatments are a luxury for most of us and I for one want to go to somewhere that offers a professional, relaxing, clean, quiet and comfortable environment, as I expect most of us do.

Personally I dont think this is going to effect good quality salons/therapists/nail technicians it will however effect the lower quality as the people who use them are there for a quick, cheap in and out service not a comfortable relaxing good quality service.

I couldnt think of anything worse than sitting in the middle of a supermarket getting a treatment done while someone is buying their food shopping :eek:

Every Little Helps !!!

I have seen this in tescos .... a little desk with a list of treatments bang in the middle of the shop floor, very hygienic !!!

I hope they will at least provide a treatment room ....

It wont impact any ones business, your clients love you because they enjoy coming to you and you provide great service and good treatments, they dont need to go anywhere else, least of all a supermarket ! x

Latest posts

Back