Test your hair knowledge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A strand test is taken is taken while the following products are on the hair to check when the product has developed thoroughly :

*Semi permanent
*permanent colours (tints)
*Bleaches
*Colour strippers (colour reducers)
*Relaxers

Method remove some of the product from a strand of hair with a piece of cotton wool or the back of a comb so that you can see whether it has developed properly, leaving the hair the correct colour or the correct degree of straightness

Hi lotus blossom, yes this is the correct answer , well done :hug: x

you're turn to ask the next question :hug: x

You hair geeks rock - well done all of you :hug:

Some interesting stuff in the posts - thank you so much for the hair knowledge - keep it going girls (and guys) :lol:

what is folliculitus, and is it caused by bacteria, fungal or viral infection!!???

thanks for all the help earlier on minky

it can be caused by all 3 also parasites- paracitic follicullitis
inflammation of the hair follicles caused by several different factors it can show itslef as a tender red spot or a pustule.

it can be caused by all 3 also parasites- paracitic follicullitis
inflammation of the hair follicles caused by several different factors it can show itslef as a tender red spot or a pustule.

Hi Joanne Yes correct , great answer
Now you have to ask the next question or another nice willing geek ? :hug: x

Will someone ask us all another hair question ?

pretty please ?

what is the importance of correct heat application during the drying process......................................

what is the importance of correct heat application during the drying process......................................

Great question JOANNE come on all student geekys I'm not allowed to answer it

Perhaps JOANNE will give you a clue ? :)

yeah , a clue please joanne!!

just wanted to say i got 14.5 out of 15 on my exam
top of the class,
who says the oldies are past it!!!

yeah , a clue please joanne!!

just wanted to say i got 14.5 out of 15 on my exam
top of the class,
who says the oldies are past it!!!

oldies but goodies we are hun

cant give you all a clue cause its a question i want answering.....we get told about blow drying etc....same heat not burning the scalp, same direction to keep cuticles closed etc....but i ask the above cause i dont know this myslef...lol

Ok then well Ill give a clue
but a student will have to fill in the blank bits
here goes ;

If we don't have the correct heat during the drying process
then the ................... within the hair will not be temporarily set in place and it wont hold its temporary new shape

If the correct heat is applied all the ..................... will be set into its temporary new shape and should hold the until the hair gets wet again if we are lucky with the weather and atmosphere

PS the dots are random and both answers are the same good luck all students :hug: x

Ok then well Ill give a clue
but a student will have to fill in the bank bits
here goes ;

If we don't have the correct heat during the drying process
then the ................... within the hair will not be temporarily set in place and it wont hold its temporary new shape

If the correct heat is applied all the ..................... will be set into its temporary new shape and should hold the until the hair gets wet again if we are lucky with the weather and atmosphere

PS the dots are random and both answers are the same good luck all students :hug: x

If the hair is too hot it can alter the................ causing permanent damage that will prevent further chemical treatments and styling options. (my dots are just as random and it's the same answer)

sulfuric (sp) bonds? the bonds that are broken down and re fixed ?

bonds ????????

Hi , bonds yes , in the UK we say Salt links and Hydrogen bonds are easily broken during setting blow drying and tonging ,

Jeni in the USA you may have a different name for these bonds so could you confirm Lillys answer ,
thank you Jeni :hug: minky x

There are also very strong permanent bonds within the hair
which can only be broken by using a strong chemical on the hair such as permanent wave lotion

We will ask you later after Jeni's reply what these may be :hug: x

Hi , bonds yes , in the UK we say Salt links and Hydrogen bonds are easily broken during setting blow drying and tonging ,

Jeni in the USA you may have a different name for these bonds so could you confirm Lillys answer ,

which can only be broken by using a strong chemical on the hair such as permanent wave lotion

perms break those bonds ???????? neutrilizer fixes the bonds ?????? that right ????

perms break those bonds ???????? neutrilizer fixes the bonds ?????? that right ????

Hi JOANNE yes thats right :) . Brilliant , totally on the right track ,

Salt and Hydrogen bonds here too- if there is too much heat applied however, the hydrogen bonds become overly heated and will actually cause the protiens to melt and dissolve. When you melt the cortex there is no going back, the hair may look and feel fine, but it will not hold a curl or respond to chemical treatments. Another good reason for a strand test!!!

Latest posts

Back