TGB/The Gel Bottle concerns!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJC94

Reaction score
I’m feeling quite worried as I’ve just spent nearly a grand investing in TGB products and lamp (previously used CND Shellac for years but the staying power and dehydration on my own and my clients nails was awful) as I’m hoping to do treatments from home post-covid. I tried a few of their colours and liked them so I just went a bit mental in the sale! But now I’m seeing comments on here regarding nail allergies due to the high HEMA content... I noticed nail techs I follow have switched brands and I wondered why.

I’ve tried googling this but I’m not getting any helpful results, can anyone tell me if they’ve had experiences of reactions with TGB? Or point me towards groups etc that could shed light on this?

Hi, I starting use TGB a couple of years ago. I started experiencing an allergy to their BIAB and have had to stop using it recently. They have issued a notice saying the allergies can start when the uncured product comes into contact with the skin. I use it on other people with no issues. As far as I'm aware it is only the BIAB that can cause allergies. I don't have any problems with their polish though so am still using them. I switched to Ink London BIAB and find it much easier to use with no allergic reactions.

Hi, I starting use TGB a couple of years ago. I started experiencing an allergy to their BIAB and have had to stop using it recently. They have issued a notice saying the allergies can start when the uncured product comes into contact with the skin. I use it on other people with no issues. As far as I'm aware it is only the BIAB that can cause allergies. I don't have any problems with their polish though so am still using them. I switched to Ink London BIAB and find it much easier to use with no allergic reactions.
Thank you for replying, I’ve been going crazy since last night reading things and I actually feel sick at how much money I’ve spent on something potentially risky! Yes I’ve seen others state the rubber base and BIAB is the issue but I couldn’t find any factual evidence, the brand seem to be denying everything. I’m trying to figure out if I can return some of the bottles at least as I’m so scared to use them!

There isn't too much about on it, just people raising on Facebook pages and on here. You would have to check their returns policy, although I have seen their BIAB selling on Ebay for much more than it costs to buy it from them if that helps. Obviously unqualified users buying it. Their polish is great though, very pigmented and lasts ages.

Thank you for replying, I’ve been going crazy since last night reading things and I actually feel sick at how much money I’ve spent on something potentially risky! Yes I’ve seen others state the rubber base and BIAB is the issue but I couldn’t find any factual evidence, the brand seem to be denying everything. I’m trying to figure out if I can return some of the bottles at least as I’m so scared to use them!

Im so sorry you’re in this situation. A Facebook group was set up specifically so that nail techs could openly discuss this situation and ask questions as TGB and Premier Gel refused to allow posts about it. It’s called Nail Tech Awareness. All the information is there, but it is advised you use the search bar before asking questions now as most the questions have been asked over and over again. In the earlier days of the group, educators and ambassadors were more open about discussing their experiences, but I understand due to legal reasons a lot of them keep much quieter now, which is a shame because if they were allowed to speak out it could help so many more nail techs avoid the situation you’re in now.
I warn you though, discussions can get very heated as there are still plenty of nail techs that haven’t experienced these problems and won’t or don’t want to believe there are any issues. But read the posts, look at the photos and then make your decision x

Bare in mind that Facebook group was set up by people who own their own nail product companies. Just keep an open mind..
I've used it with no problems myself and I really love the products xx

Bare in mind that Facebook group was set up by people who own their own nail product companies. Just keep an open mind..

That’s not actually true at all. It was set up by one of the ambassadors of Premier Gel who had experienced several cases of onycholysis on her clients. She was treated abysmally by the brand, so she decided to set up her own group as she became aware there were more and more techs experiencing the same issues with both Premier Gel and The Gel Bottle who had nowhere to turn. She does not have her own brand. She just wanted techs to be able to talk freely about what had happened to them.

Also bare in mind that the majority of techs also used it for some time before seeing cases of onycholysis. It’s like a ticking time bomb! True, you and your clients may never experience it, but it wasn’t a risk I was prepared to take any more. So yes, definitely keep an open mind.

False! The lady who runs the Facebook does not own a brand.

Oh, I just assumed as they always posted on there. I don't follow anymore

I have read so much about this. And I was one of those people that did not believe this brilliant product which all my staff and clients loved, was problematic. However…I’ve had two clients with severe cases of onycholysis in the last few weeks. I know I built a very small extension on them both using BIAB. So yes, the potential was def there that it had not fully cured and was touching the skin. I’ve been a nail tech for 24 years and never ever had anything remotely like this happen. I’ve religiously used CND the whole time, until last year when I swapped to TGB.
I will attach a photo of one of my clients nails. They all looked like this..

Attachments

• 4552C04E-5E57-4A1A-A609-9FEED7E459A0.png
    4552C04E-5E57-4A1A-A609-9FEED7E459A0.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 1,971
I’m no doctor but that looks to me like a typical allergic reaction especially as all the nails are affected. Once you’ve developed an allergy, that’s it for life or until a cure is discovered. Subsequent applications of the chemical causing the problem will increase the severity of the reaction.

I’d wait for the skin to fully heal and then be very cautious when trying out any alternative gel products.

It could also be a fungal infection looking at the edge of it

How does Ink London BIAB consistency compare the TGB biab consistency? Also, I'm confused with which of Ink London's ranges is the biab. Is it the SoBiab? x

Please bear in mind, when choosing a brand, that as a business owner you are legally responsible for performing "due diligence" to ensure the safety of a product.

Regardless of if a product range is accredited by an insurance company. IMHO, having spoken to several, they don't have much of a clue and their policies, I was told be their underwriters, are written in such a way to avoid responsibility if the product is not compliant.

Why would a product not be compliant if it is registered on the Submit Cosmetic Products Notification (SCPN) portal? Well, perhaps the specific product is not actually registered.... or the information used to register it is false i.e. it contains ingredients not specified in the SDS or on the product label. Perhaps because the factory in China is dishonest.

If your client sues, don't expect the insurer to support you. They will support the claimant, to avoid paying out. So it will be up to you to demonstrate that you did due diligence, are trained in the specific product and applied the product exactly as the manufacturer stated, which includes using the manufacturers UV lamp.

But if they analyse the product and find undeclared ingredients, ingredients in amounts that are different from the SDS, are still using a MSDS and not an SDS, or find disturbing reports online of other injuries, perhaps even from Educators of the brand, then you will become personally liable, irrespective if your company is a Ltd or not.

One advice that I would give anyone starting a business, is before you think of ways to make money, think of ways that you can lose it. Protect yourself first and use that as a foundation to build a strong business. Unfortunately, too many in this industry are swayed by price, the possibility have hundreds of colours and glitzy brand social media. Instead of building a rock solid and unique reputation for your education and skills in your own region, combined with safe products from a brand with a longterm reputation.

I was thinking of still using tgb colours... all 75 of them but after reading this have decided to get rid if them. Huge expense but better than have the risk hanging over my head...

I’m feeling quite worried as I’ve just spent nearly a grand investing in TGB products and lamp (previously used CND Shellac for years but the staying power and dehydration on my own and my clients nails was awful) as I’m hoping to do treatments from home post-covid. I tried a few of their colours and liked them so I just went a bit mental in the sale! But now I’m seeing comments on here regarding nail allergies due to the high HEMA content... I noticed nail techs I follow have switched brands and I wondered why.

I’ve tried googling this but I’m not getting any helpful results, can anyone tell me if they’ve had experiences of reactions with TGB? Or point me towards groups etc that could shed light on this?
Hi, I have had the Gel Bottle on my nails for a few years but my nails are horrendous. What back in the winter we thought was bruising turns out to be an allergy to their product. My nails were lifting (two came away totally) and they are green! I have had to have them all taken off and cut ridiculously short. I am gutted. I contacted the Gel Bottle Co fir advice, they escalated the email and came back with a reply if I must of got an allergy and it can by no way be their product? I have it on my toes which are fine so wonder if it’s the ‘builder’? I googled it and came across this thread.

The green bits are an infection, so not necessarily an allergic reaction.
Has the infection cleared up yet?

The green bits are an infection, so not necessarily an allergic reaction.
Has the infection cleared up yet?
Hi. As soon as I had them taken off it started to ease. The green has stayed but they no longer smell (gross I know) and aren’t lifting. Doc said it’s a allergic reaction so didn’t even need meds for it. I am hoping it could be the builder as I love having my nails done. Going to have to wait months now before I can do anything. I’m literally hiding my nails from people.

Unfortunately, I think your GP might be mistaken and whilst you may have an allergy, it definitely sounds like an infection too. :oops:

https://nailknowledge.org/nail-know...LtCDa-VgHMdfHW8jw05EmHfkpZxYFPwreehK9PXLePFDc
Deffo not infection now and it did get better in lockdown when I wasn’t having them done. Sadly, the first sign of it we thought was bruising due to me being overzealous with filing. Had them done again in the April and they started to lift from nailbed in the May, unfortunately it was not until August that it got really bad and realised what was happening. Healing now

Latest posts

Back