Thank Geek It's Friday! OMG OCD!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
Welcome to our Thank Geek It's Friday feature...we are very pleased that the weekend is a hop, skip and a jump away and this week we think we've got an amusing anecdote to get you giggling.

Today's story comes from the lovely @properprincessp on Twitter (you do know we're on Twitter right??) and I have to say, this woman shows the patience of a saint. Read on geeks...it's possible she'll need advice on how to deal with this 'particular' client!

I Cannot Believe My Eyelashes!

I charge £60.00 for a set of eyelashes. I'm not the cheapest or the most expensive but when I first started to drum up customers I had an offer of £40.00.

I got a call from a lady who found me on gumtree. She was nervous and said she was particular. I wasn't fazed. I'm confident in what I have been doing. I spent 40 mins explaining the procedure and types of looks achieveable and how to care for them during her holiday that she was going on two days after application. She also booked Minx toe nails. I offered to do semi-permanent eyelashes and Minx for £55.00. BARGAIN! Before she hung up, she asked me "What if I don't like them?" I promised her she would love them.

Two days before her appointment, I go to her house 6 miles away to patch test before intended application. There are no problems so we decide to go ahead with the eyelashes in 2 days. From this point on it becomes so complicated and crazy I'm have to type it as a timeline:

DAY ONE
11:00am: I arrive. Shes on my bed by 11.10pm. She asks me to tint her eyelashes. I advise her that it's not necessary but she insists so I do it anyway.

12.30pm: I have applied a full set of lashes in 1.5 hrs. She looks at them and immediately says they aren't even. THEY WERE. She asks me how many lashes are on each eye. I say about 60-70...big mistake. Huge.

She then discloses the fact that she has OCD. She said she couldn't walk about with an uneven number of lashes. She asks me to count them. I can't count them. "Then you must remove them," she says. "I won't be able to go on holiday unless I know they are even."

1.30pm: I'm Type 1 Diabetic, insulin dependent. She knew this as it had come up in conversation at her patch test. So time is now ticking on and I'm feeling bad! I need food and insulin. So I decide to TRY and count them. She becomes very flustered.

3.00pm: I've made her perfect extensions look a complete mess at this point messing with them. I tell her I think it's best I remove them. She agrees. I start to take them off and she says, "No, actually. It's ok. I want to keep them." So I start to try and remove the remover off the lashes on one half of an eye I'd already started to remove. There was no chance; the damage was done. I was going to have to take them off, clean and prime and start again.

I show her the lashes. She asks me how many there are and I guess/lie and say...62. Ok, I shouldn't have lied but I was supposed to be taking my little boy out and he was sat with his nan waiting for me, after I told him I'd be home 2.30pm. Once I'd completed her treatment, she didn't like the outer lashes and wanted bigger ones. I had no lashes left to fill so I remove six outer eye lashes from each eye, clean prime and re-apply thick long 'c' curls. Her lashes were too small for this, I told her but she insisted....I'd given up at this point.

4.00pm: She stopped half-way through for a sandwich saying, "Oh I have to eat. I feel dreadful when I dont eat." REALLY? I think, YOU DONT SAY!!!

5.30pm: She finally has her lashes. She's happy...well kind of. Now, I realise I still have to do her Minx and I can't wait for this...as I you can imagine. I realise the time and panic. I say, "I'm sorry. I have already let my little boy down and I have no childcare for this evening I'm afraid." So, she gives me the measly £40.00 for 6 hours work. I drive home in rush hour traffic.

DAY TWO
The next day, I get a phone call. "Please can you come and change the outer lashes to the original shorter option? The longer ones are touching my sunglasses and they seem to be drooping." Obviously, I said no. I told her I had another client. It was sort of true. "Well, I'll come to you then," she said. Great.

So she turned up. I fixed her lashes which looked a mess. She admitted she had been playing with them. The treatment took me another 1.5 hrs. Less eventful this time, she left and said thank you.

That client made me £40.00...

SINCE THEN...
This was at the end of last summer. She texted me at christmas asking for a full set of eyelashes. I told her I was fully booked - it was Christmas after all. This was partly true. I could have squeezed her in and with four children there's never enough money in our house. So, she asked for a new year appointment. I told her I was going away for new year but that I would let her know. I also told her that a set of eyelashes were now priced at £100. She didn't care. I gave her a ring after Christmas and said I couldn't do anymore lashes as I had a bad reaction to the glue and need a break.

This Saturday she texted me and asked if I was doing eyelashes again. I think I'm going to emigrate...anyone want me? Or maybe I'll just sack her entirely! Or I could be honest and say I'm sick of counting eyelashes!

(Wowzers. Perhaps honesty isn't always the best policy! I'd emigrate...but that's because I'm a scaredy cat! The Ed.)

Send in any stories/videos/pictures that you think will raise a smile on a Friday morning by PM'ing me (The Ed.) and you could also win the Geek Treats.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• TSTDT.jpg
    TSTDT.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 942
Great story...my heart goes out to you! :hug:

Wow what a story! I really feel for you :) x

i:( think i would have killed her by 4pm.

We are often reminded on here that the general public can read our posts. I remember reading this *first time around* so it must be on here twice now, plus on Twitter, and I feel there is so much detail about the client that if she read it herself, she would easily recognise herself. Just sayin'.

I have to agree with Zozo, on this one. I think this is a great story, but it is way too detailed for it not to be recognisable if the said client happened upon this post looking for an eyelash queen in her area which is totally possible as it's how I found the site.

Personally, I can't say that this story made me giggle.
If said client really did have OCD, it's not something that should be be made public knowledge for our amusement. What happened to client confidentiality? I appreciate no names were mentioned but it wouldn't take too much working out as to who the client was.

I agree wholly - my closest friend has OCD and I know, were it her being written about in such an obvious manner, she would be devastated. OCD is hard enough to live with for people who have it without it being mocked openly on a public forum :(

Latest posts

Back