That age old lifting issue!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeYourBestYou

Reaction score
Hi guys. So, I’m not super experienced as yet but I take a lot of time ensuring nail prep is done (buffed to provide a key, all dead cuticle removed and live cuticle pushed back, naio nails nail prep dehydrator, acid free primer - thin coat and all dry before acrylic application) and I use Naio nails max adhesion liquid and their core powders. But I am STILL getting lifting of the odd one or two fingers at one week (sometimes earlier [emoji31]) and more lifting by the end of 2 weeks. What else can I do???

I think some of the acrylic may be on the skin around the cuticle if there is more lifting....are you e-filing or hand filing down the acrylic product?

Hi @lalaloveee! I mostly hand file if the nail is fairly decent! Lol! But I do e-file sometimes too. Does that make a difference then?

Some people prefer efiling over hand filing but there isn’t a right or wrong method to shaping and filing your acrylic....it’s hard to say what the issue is because if you overfile the product...it can cause lifting...but also if you apply the acrylic too close to the cuticle..it will also cause lifting. I tend to push the skin away from the sides of the nail when I am filing to make sure that the product is not stuck to the skin because water can get between the product and the nail and cause lifting.

Some people prefer efiling over hand filing but there isn’t a right or wrong method to shaping and filing your acrylic....it’s hard to say what the issue is because if you overfile the product...it can cause lifting...but also if you apply the acrylic too close to the cuticle..it will also cause lifting. I tend to push the skin away from the sides of the nail when I am filing to make sure that the product is not stuck to the skin because water can get between the product and the nail and cause lifting.

It’s possible that might be the problem then. I obviously try to apply the acrylic snugly around the cuticle area but certainly need ongoing practice at getting this just right so may well be leaning more towards getting TOO close as opposed to leaving a fraction more room. Thanks so much for your help! [emoji8]

I agree with the comments you’ve had....
Lifting us usually insufficient prep or product touching the cuticle or side walls. If it’s the later it usually happens quicker

Check out Young Nails Nail School’s YouTube video: “ How to Prevent Lifting”

I agree with the comments you’ve had....
Lifting us usually insufficient prep or product touching the cuticle or side walls. If it’s the later it usually happens quicker

Yeah, I strongly suspect it’s to do with the acrylic touching the cuticles/side walls which I need a tad more practice to perfect.
Here’s a thought tho, why do you think nails from these quick throughput nail bars still stay on so well when they basically do little or no cuticle work on the nail?

Yeah, I strongly suspect it’s to do with the acrylic touching the cuticles/side walls which I need a tad more practice to perfect.
Here’s a thought tho, why do you think nails from these quick throughput nail bars still stay on so well when they basically do little or no cuticle work on the nail?

They use a carbide drill or equivalent on the nail plate so there is nothing left to cause lifting and little nail plate left either

They use a carbide drill or equivalent on the nail plate so there is nothing left to cause lifting and little nail plate left either

Are you using a good quality brush? It makes a big difference and once you find one that suits you you’ll see an improvement. Some techs have brushes for years, I go through one or two each month. But once you find one you like you can apply a bead with precision, and always point the finger down to avoid flooding the cuticle.

I suspected that might be the case. [emoji26] Yet people allow their nails to be trashed like that just to get the extensions they want for little dollar. So saddening.

Are you using a good quality brush? It makes a big difference and once you find one that suits you you’ll see an improvement. Some techs have brushes for years, I go through one or two each month. But once you find one you like you can apply a bead with precision, and always point the finger down to avoid flooding the cuticle.

Good point. Thank you. My brush is decent but definitely not high end. I think I need to treat myself - and my clients! Thanks lovely! x

Um, no one has mentioned RATIO???!!! if your prep is ace - and you're not touching the skin, I'll bet money it's your ratio :)

Um, no one has mentioned RATIO???!!! if your prep is ace - and you're not touching the skin, I'll bet money it's your ratio :)

Hi! What is the biggest issue with ratio that might cause a lifting issue? I tend to work medium to wet.

Latest posts

Back