The awesome money saving thread!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi geeks! Not sure if this is the correct thread for this but it will save you money! The personal tax allowance for 2013/2014 is going up to £9440 - so we can earn more before we pay tax!
This is one for those of you that have employees - im sure many will know this but make sure if you provide them with a uniform and they wash it themselves they get their tax rebates from hmrc - they simply require to write a letter to hmrc - pm me if you require this letter.
Also this goes for those of us that worked elsewhere even if we have left if you were supplied with a uniform - i left the bank 2 years ago and my hubby left the firebrigade 3 years ago - we both received our rebates back approx £60 cheque - better than a kick up the toosh!

Wow! How far back can I claim for it?
A few places I have had to buy my own clothes and have a reimbursement for them as uniform so might be worth checking it out. Xoxo

Hi geeks. Not sure if this is the correct place but can save both home based and salon based therapists money on their utility bills.
Please take a look at my website. If you have any questions at all please ask :) http://www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk/yestolowerbills
Hope this helps you all save some money :)

Hi geeks! Not sure if this is the correct thread for this but it will save you money! The personal tax allowance for 2013/2014 is going up to £9440 - so we can earn more before we pay tax!
This is one for those of you that have employees - im sure many will know this but make sure if you provide them with a uniform and they wash it themselves they get their tax rebates from hmrc - they simply require to write a letter to hmrc - pm me if you require this letter.
Also this goes for those of us that worked elsewhere even if we have left if you were supplied with a uniform - i left the bank 2 years ago and my hubby left the firebrigade 3 years ago - we both received our rebates back approx £60 cheque - better than a kick up the toosh!

Yes I done this for my partner.... £75 :)

To save on shellac topcoat when doing rockstars, I use 1 coat of clearly pink over the glitter layer then 1 coat of topcoat (instead of 2 layers of topcoat) to get them nice and smooth.
It's a colour that came in my kit that never gets used. A few others work well too.

Read that tip on here ages ago from Geeg I think and it's really helped me so highlighted it again for others.

I probably didn't explain as well as she did though :)
Sam xx

I use Zillionare in the same way. And for my nail pops I use normal top coat :Love:

I too buy my tissues and cotton wool pads for pre-wax cleansing from Lidl or Aldi
I buy couch roll on VAT free days when they are also 3 for 2
Regina kitchen roll makes for great nail wipes
Tesco do a HUUGE tin of Tesco Gold coffee for £5, the same price as a regular size jar (Nescafe Gold Blend same size tin is £15)
Look for offers - I just got typhoo tea bags 240 bags for the price of 120
I only ever buy washing powder and washing up liquid when it's on offer
1000 waxing spatulas worked out at 66p per box because I bought in bulk, **sorry that should read 10,000!!**

I appreciate when space is limited, bulk buying is not an option but it's saved me a bit!

Last edited:
Whoa I love this thread!!! I love saving money and I do it in everyday life. I'm now starting out as a mobile beauty therapist and this was great to read!!!!

Thanks all!!!

where did you buy the 10,000 spatulas from?

Bit random but I was in the pound shop the other day in Warrington and they were selling casserole dishes for £1. Thought it was a bargain. Got some amazing stuff In there so if anyone needs to stock up there kitchen, deffo worth a quick trip to your local £1 shop :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361235174.945031.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361235174.945031.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 320
I have that one, it's been that price since I bought it in 2011.

They obviously have it on price promotion regularly then, it's been at the higher price for at least a month though so just glad I decided to buy it today :)

I too buy my tissues and cotton wool pads for pre-wax cleansing from Lidl or Aldi
I buy couch roll on VAT free days when they are also 3 for 2
Regina kitchen roll makes for great nail wipes
Tesco do a HUUGE tin of Tesco Gold coffee for £5, the same price as a regular size jar (Nescafe Gold Blend same size tin is £15)
Look for offers - I just got typhoo tea bags 240 bags for the price of 120
I only ever buy washing powder and washing up liquid when it's on offer
1000 waxing spatulas worked out at 66p per box because I bought in bulk, **sorry that should read 10,000!!**

I appreciate when space is limited, bulk buying is not an option but it's saved me a bit!

I used to get the Tesco coffee but now use makro, £10 for a 1.5 kg tin. And remember all food stuff's are vat free so the price you see is what you pay!

Aldi powder is great, was a which best buy recently and although it says 28 washes were only 1/4 way through and have done about 20 washes. About a whiskey tumbler full
Is enough as the towels aren't filthy so only need the minimum amount.

Your local buy/ sell Facebook has great little bits that you can get for special occasions and help
A small business.

Xoxo

They obviously have it on price promotion regularly then, it's been at the higher price for at least a month though so just glad I decided to buy it today :)

You'll like it, it's a good lamp.

What we all need to be aware of is real value for money. The supermarkets are great at leading you to believe it's a good deal, when sometimes you end up paying more. I don't take anything for granted.

I had a job in retail when I left school and the boss would make us mark up brand new stock with a 'was' price and a 'now' price, to make it look like it's on sale. I'm pretty sure this is illegal!

Great thread!! Lots of great tips!! I get my scented candles from the pound shop or asda they last long and smell great!! Iv always got candles on the go! I always split my couch roll and cotton pads too!! X x

What we all need to be aware of is real value for money. The supermarkets are great at leading you to believe it's a good deal, when sometimes you end up paying more. I don't take anything for granted.

I had a job in retail when I left school and the boss would make us mark up brand new stock with a 'was' price and a 'now' price, to make it look like it's on sale. I'm pretty sure this is illegal!

I definitely think that's illegal too!
But bet there's plenty that do it lol xxx

This is a great thread ;)

New items can be on promotion, as an intro offer, and can be reduced on their first time in store as long as it has been full price for a minimum of 28 days in atleast one of the chain's stores xoxo

Latest posts

Back