The awesome money saving thread!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm mobile so to save money on cleaning towels I just use the same one for all my clients and don't bother washing them. They'll never know as I go from house to house. Also, I don't bother cleaning my tools, just a quick wipe will do. I just put some blue food colouring in a spray bottle of water and pretend it's sanitiser. Their hands look a tiny bit blue if you use too much so be careful, you only need a drop.

I buy all the cheap nail varnishes from the markets at 5 for a £1.00. For nail files I use my kids old ice lolly sticks and glue sandpaper onto them.

Foot scrub is a combination of the cheapest moisturiser you can get from the pound shop mixed with sand.

sorry, I'm not taking the mick, I think this is a great thread! I was just having a bit of fun.

I only buy the cheap tissues as the only bit of skin they touch is between the toes. And I only buy on VAT free days from the wholesalers.

This made me laugh!! I started to read in pure horror and then realised pretty quickly you were joking!! Lol!! Xx

I'm also wondering if the roll of hair dressing foil is cheaper than the pre-cut squares ??!!

Probably is, can you not use kitchen foil

I've tried cutting the sizes I need with kitchen foil & they're all odd & very hard to get the same.

My local Sally's have a VAT free day tomorrow, will see if the roll of foil is any cheaper & go from there.

I used to use kitchen foil but its too thin and can rip really easily. I now use hairdressing foil. I bought it from my local sallys on a vat free day but they were also 3 for 2. Easy to rip up too, I spend and evening in front of the tv ripping it up and pop it into an old takeaway plastic box. It then saves time when a client arrives because its already cut up xx

I've tried cutting the sizes I need with kitchen foil & they're all odd & very hard to get the same.

My local Sally's have a VAT free day tomorrow, will see if the roll of foil is any cheaper & go from there.

Sent a pm

Great thread!
I love saving money...who doesn't!?
I have recently just rang bt and told them my bills were getting abit expensive and was there anything they could do so they lowered my line rental. I did the same with my card machine and the same with my house bills, mobile phone etc. sometimes its worth being a bit cheeky. My boyfriend was paying 52 a month on his phone and he is now paying 25 for the same contract :rolleyes:

Also I only ever go to the warehouse on vat free days and only buy things if I really need it. I also use hairdressing foil instead of the precut foil for gel soak off.

hope this helps xx

How the hell did you contract down by half?

well he had 600mins on his contract and was only using on average 20-50mins a month! (typical man) so they lowered the minutes and that's why its so cheap lol he was also paying for more internet than he was using so I lowered that to xx

Loving this thread! Like the idea of timers because it also saves the hassle of thinking 'need to turn the wax pots on ASAP when I get in' :)

Tip I would like to pass on is energy brokers. I had a guy come round my business and house about 8 months ago and he checked all the gas and electricity bills. He checked all the best deals and I now across my business and home I pay £120 less a month! Very happy with his service and I stayed with my current provider.

His service is free because the energy companies pay him a commission for getting customers to sign up.

Anyone want his details please feel free to PM me. I would also like to point out that I am in no way connected to this company, just wanting to pass on the saving :)

Oh my god my heart. You gave me such a fright. Ha ha...great thread by the way!

Sent from my GT-I9100

well he had 600mins on his contract and was only using on average 20-50mins a month! (typical man) so they lowered the minutes and that's why its so cheap lol he was also paying for more internet than he was using so I lowered that to xx

Ive just done this, rang my provider and I'm only using roughly 90mins of my allowance of 600mins! So they cut down my minutes to 100 and its gone from £36 to £20 a month. I was so happy wish I'd done it sooner.

Used to use my phone a lot for work, but I don't as much now as more salon based so clients call there, and if I need to order I email as have wifi at work x

Aww that's good! :) glad you got it cheaper xx

Ive just done this, rang my provider and I'm only using roughly 90mins of my allowance of 600mins! So they cut down my minutes to 100 and its gone from £36 to £20 a month. I was so happy wish I'd done it sooner.x

I just did this same thing. I had a crazy amount of Internet and minutes which I hardly used any of so my provider dropped me right down. Thanks for the tip.

This isn't really a huge money saving tip, but I've so many comments from clients on it.

A friend of mine who does beauty has a digital photo frame with all of her photos of her work. It cost £70 and although I thought it was a great idea, I couldn't justify it.

Instead, I bought a wall mounted bracket for my iPad (it was £12 off eBay) and I have it mounted in my nail room in perfect view from the client. I have an photo album on my iPad with all of the nails that I have created which I put onto slideshow... It's great when a client is indecisive as to what to have done as they can look at the photos whilst I'm doing their soak off and prep.

Xx

Not really sure you've thought this through. What about if someone sneezes on your stolen coffee sticks.
I might be a bit worried about hygiene & karma!

I also do the same, i put them in the micro-wave for a few minutes it sterilises them :)

I asked a local cafe if he could order me some coffee sticks (told him they were for waxing eyebrows - now he thinks I'm nuts!!) he only charged me £1 for a brand new sealed box of 1000, there quite long so snapped them in half so now have 2000 mini spatulas for a whole £1!

I asked a local cafe if he could order me some coffee sticks (told him they were for waxing eyebrows - now he thinks I'm nuts!!) he only charged me £1 for a brand new sealed box of 1000, there quite long so snapped them in half so now have 2000 mini spatulas for a whole £1!

You got a bargain 1000 5.5" are £1.35+vat at bookers ,will be going for a box when I run out :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

You got a bargain 1000 5.5" are £1.35+vat at bookers ,will be going for a box when I run out :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Oh gosh, bookers are expensive anyway. Our coffee machine cost about £70 every month or 2, now its £30 if we need to replace everything by traveling that bit further to a makro, and the cost of petrol is off set by the huge saving compared.
Haven't checked, but I want to get them little biscuits in coffee shops, Aston and Fincher have them at £15 I think so hope makro are cheaper (for 300) xoxo

Yum I love them, can buy small packets in morrisons now,
The white packet with red writing,

You should get them cheaper than that at makro or Costco

I bought the lotus individually wrapped biscuits really cheap from amazon. They worked out at 2pm or a bit over. £6.99 off the top of my head.

X

Hi geeks! Not sure if this is the correct thread for this but it will save you money! The personal tax allowance for 2013/2014 is going up to £9440 - so we can earn more before we pay tax!
This is one for those of you that have employees - im sure many will know this but make sure if you provide them with a uniform and they wash it themselves they get their tax rebates from hmrc - they simply require to write a letter to hmrc - pm me if you require this letter.
Also this goes for those of us that worked elsewhere even if we have left if you were supplied with a uniform - i left the bank 2 years ago and my hubby left the firebrigade 3 years ago - we both received our rebates back approx £60 cheque - better than a kick up the toosh!

Latest posts

Back