The BIG Skincare decision!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Taylor

Reaction score
There are threads every couple of weeks from newbie geeks asking one of the most popular questions: ‘What skin care line should I use?’

It usually generates responses from seasoned geeks to the various companies and brands available, however I get the impression that the Original Poster is still completely baffled by the huge choice in hand and doesn’t really know what they should be looking for.

I thought I would dedicate some time to this area and try and give food for thought to the main areas that need to be addressed when making such a big decision.

Investing in a skin care brand of products is an extremely important decision to make, a decision which can cost you a lot of money if you get it wrong. But, it is a decision only YOU can make.

First and foremost is to identify your market:

· Do you have a current clientele or will it be from scratch?
· What client range do you want to aim for?
· Are your clients younger or mature?
· Are the majority of your clients male or female?
· Are they results driven or luxury/pampering?
· Do they have high end money to spend or are they on a budget?

Once you have identified your market and know which kind of products you are likely to need it is then time to look at which companies are out there.

Identify which brands are available:

This is a list of the skincare companies that are often mentioned, it is not a definitive list but a list of the most talked about on Salon Geek. I have also categorised with my interpretation of brand positioning them to make it easier for you to choose the section you’re most interested in:

· Eve Taylor (Aromatherapy/Prescriptive/Pampering/Middle Market) M
· Decleor (Aromatherapy/Prescriptive/Pampering/High End) OO
· Elemis (Spa/Pampering/High End) OO
· Environ (Results Driven/Cosmeceutical/Prescriptive/Middle Market) OO
· Swiss Dermyl (Results Driven/Cosmeceutical/Prescriptive/Middle Market) M
· Monu/Susan Molyneux (General/Prescriptive/Pampering/Middle Market) M. OO
· Dermalogica (Results Driven/Prescriptive/Middle-High End Market) OO
· Thai Therapy (Wholesaler Product/Pampering/Lower End) M
· Skin Truth (Wholesaler Product/Pampering/Lower End) M
· Kaeso (Wholesaler Product/Pampering/Lower-Middle End) M
· Strictly Professional (Wholesaler Product/Lower End) M
- Priadara (Wholesaler Product/Prescriptive/Lower End) M

(M = Also supply to mobile therapists.)
(OO = Requires a minimum opening order)

Make first contact:

Once you have picked a selection of companies/brands on offer, it is then time for you to contact them and request information and samples to try.
They may send out information and samples in the post or some may send a representative out to see you face to face.
You may also consider visiting one of the various trade shows and speak to them directly there.

Sample the brands for yourself:

It is very important that you try the products on your own skin and see if you like them for yourself. You are the biggest advert for your own business and your skin needs to look appealing to your clients. If the skincare is not effective, not only will your skin not look its best, but you will not be positive about it, and this will show to your clients.

Once you have found some samples that you like, I suggest you buy some small/travel sizes of the products and use for a longer period of time, this will give you an idea of their effectiveness and how they work over a longer term.

I also strongly suggest that you book in for treatments with each brand to experience the professional products in action. The products you sampled are homecare products and used to maintain the effects of the professional treatment.

The professional products should be stronger; more varied and extensive and give an instant result post treatment.
This is extremely important as treatments are what keep your business turning over with clients. If the treatment you experience falls short and doesn’t give a noticeable effect then what incentive is this to your clients? They aren’t likely to rebook or buy homecare for that matter, as they will see it as a waste of money.
If your market is more pampering, do the treatments make you feel relaxed and calm, afterwards or do you leave feeling the same as when you went in?

I cannot stress enough the need to experience the brands treatments for yourself. It is paramount that the treatments work and will give your clients what they need and pay for. No matter how good the homecare is, if the treatments aren’t up to specification then it’s a waste of time. The only way you can find this out is by experiencing it for yourself.

You may see trying the products and treatments as spending un-necessary money, but you are a business and this is part of your market research, the costing of which should have been worked in to your business plan.

Now for the nitty gritty:

At this point you will have narrowed your choice down to a small number of product lines and it’s now the time to do the real work!
You must now look at the many factors that seriously need to be considered:

· How much is the start up cost/opening order?
· How much will ongoing professional products cost?
· Are the professional products able to be used with electrical modalities if needed?
· How much will a treatment cost you to perform?
- How much can you charge for treatments?
· Are there many other salons/therapists in your area using this brand?
· Does this brand offer homecare to retail?
· What is the profit percentage on the homecare to retail?
· Does the brand allow discount online selling of homecare by other stockists?
· Does the brand sell in shops/dept stores/shopping TV?
· Does this brand offer support?
· Does this brand offer training?
· Does this brand offer marketing material?
· Is the brand: unheard of/well established/Over established?

It is important to think realistically and pro-actively now, as you may have set your heart on a brand that ticks the boxes emotionally, but not practically.
Don’t choose a brand that you hope will work, even though the odds are against it, because the chances are that it probably won’t.

So to recap the main points to consider when choosing your skin care line:

· Its right for your market/client base
· Its priced right for you to make profit
· Its priced right for your clients to afford
· Treatments are effective and work
· Homecare is effective to maintain treatment results
· The brand company gives enough support when required
· And finally – you are behind it 100%

It’s now up to you. Choose carefully and don’t rush into making a rash decision – it could cost you a lot of money.
I hope that this article gave you some good advice and food for thought!

Matthew Taylor.

Last edited:
what a fab article, thank you!

Great article Matthew, thank you :)
Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Excellent! Couldn't agree more with what you say. And this applies to all aspects of the business ... Waxing, nails etc

Excellent! Couldn't agree more with what you say. And this applies to all aspects of the business ... Waxing, nails etc

Oh completely!!!
Any brand decision uses the same fundementals to choose!

great article matthew and really helpful.. jack

fab article, thanks for taking the time to write this :) xx

Such a helpful article, thank you! :D

This is exactly what I needed and has definitely refocussed my mind.

Thank you! So helpful :) x

This article offers a lot of information to the readers out there.
Keep it up!

Fantastic article, thank you for posting it!
You are absolutely correct about using the product you are recommending.
As clients look to you for your expertise just keep in mind:
Facts tell, stories sell :wink2:

Thank u, I am opening a new clinic and this had helped me no end, thanks again x

This is fab thank you, funnily enough I was talking to one of my girls this week as she wants to start doing facials in the salon, wasn't really sure where to begin! X

Thank you-this has been very helpful as I am looking into taking on a skincare brand soon!

FreyaBeauty

Great information. I have sent some of the questions to a few companies I really like. I suppose I will use the one that I like the sound of the most.
Thank you!

Thanks for this, but I would say that swissdermyl is high end! It's in Vogue this month next to La Prairie and Caviar of Switzerland...

Fantastic x

thanks for taking so much time and effort xxx

Brilliant , thank you for taking the time to write this article.

I appreciate it's 'old' now but I've only it's come across it and
It's been a fab help!

Ta Claire xx

Very helpful thanks ;)

Latest posts

Back