The blow dry ... a dying art ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I like blow drying my hair. It gives me alot of body, and Makes my hair Very smooth and soft.
Flat irons never were for me. Then again, I don't look good with very flat, straight, shiny hair. :wink2:

I'm not a professional hair stylist but the two salon's I have been to this year all the stylists use a dryer first and then use irons.

I too do the same at home and find the finish last longer and looks better.

PS Good thread

Irish hairdressers are still taught the art of blow drying, it is a very important part of their course.

Every hairdressing salon i have visited here in Ireland are able to give a fantastic blow dry without the use of straighteners.

When i returned home to London, i was shocked when the hairdresser wanted to use straighteners on my hair, and aked her not too. My hair really suffers even after one use of the straighteners, cos its full of blonde colour. She struggled to get my waving hair straight.

I know this is an old thread, but after searching came across it
in college our tutor will not allow us too use straighteners we have been doing blow dry and sets scince middle of september and for sets we are not allowed to use velcro's and for blow drying...no straighteners allowed.......just our round brushes and vent brushes for brushing out sets....there is nothing more satisfying than blowing curly/wavey hair dry with a big round brush....

Hi I love blow drying too I love the challenge of getting a lovely long frizzy head of hair under control ,

I feel a lot of stylists are rushed off their feet eg
just say a long hair blow dry is booked in and you have been allocated just over half an hour ,
what do you do when you see the woman with the thick frizzy hair down to her waist come in through the door ? :eek:

Plus you are booked solid , you know you are just going to have to resort to the quickest method ,eg rough dry and straightening or you will have a backlog of customers a mile long ,

I agree it would be lovely to spend at least an hour and a half on this persons long thick frizzy hair but then would they be happy to pay for the three time slots they have taken up ?

(I don't mean everyone) :hug: x
but I have had so many long thick frizzy blow drys just come in and not want to pay any extra for the extra time it takes me to blow dry it until it is smooth and sleek,
their answer is well I booked it over the phone and she told me it was only this price,

People with really thick frizzy long hair know how long their hair takes to blow dry and should be charged for the time you have to spend on it ,

If people could just say how long and fizzy their hair is, and they want a sleek blow dry only ,
then I can book out the extra time, and tell them I charge accordingly to my time ,

but its amazing how many don't seem to say until they walk thought he door to have it done , no wonder we have to rush :hug: x

My students are not allowed to use straighteners, they have to learn to blow dry correctly and with proper wrist, dryer and brush control and I would hope other teaching establishments do the same, any one can use straighteners, not everyone can blowdry, and the blowdrys should last a week, thats what they aim for anyway.

I also offer my clients the choice if they want a finish with straightners i do tend not to work as hard at the blowdry as the straightners take out all the lift and body anyway!

Just wondering if any newbie hair geeks would care to add their two penneth worth ? :D

in my salon, so long as we all have time we all tend 2 blowdry,and then maby straightners if necessary, hair is only ever rough dried and straightend if client has long hair and wants this poker straight look. i find i can never get the result i like unless i blowdry the hair 1st, especially when cutting a bob/pob. i love blowdrying old ladies hair! actually we use straightners quite abit in the same way u wud use tongs on short hair, gives a nice effect then. not such a tight curl. dont u all also fingd that the result lasts a good few days longer when the hair is blowdrided, fab! long live blowdrying i say :lol:

good thread! xx

I Think that straightening irons definately have their place , but i lot of my contemporaries struggle to get differant looks apart from straight or curling with the irons . I personally love to do big bouncy flicky long hair blowdrys with a big round brush, but my stylist friends ( they get younger and younger-and im only 30 ) dont know where to start . Im waiting for spiral perms to come back in-id clean up!

I appreciate everyone's input,thanks geeks :hug:

I do still feel though this is no longer a service in many salons and the new generation of stylists hardly seem to know the difference between a vent brush and a radial :rolleyes:
I do hate generalising like this,but i do feel it is the majority :grr:

hi, i have to say i always blowdry prperly. if someone comes in saying they want straight hair i will dry it with body at the roots and then straighten it to bring the body down slightly. i may also turn the ends under or out slightly. i have to say even if someone wants their hair just blasting off as they dont weant to pay for a blowdry i still always get a brush out as i cant stand just blasting. when i trained 4 years ago we werent taught blowdrys in detail i have picked it up myself, and also a lot of stylists my age cant do what i ca,ll 'sausage blowdries', round a tight round brush for say elderly clients. o love doing this! blowdries arent my strong point but i always try
i had to do hair up to get my level2 and 3 but i did it and got it out of the way as i found it hard. i recently moved salons and they asked what my fear was i said hair up so i am now booked ona patrick cameron course next month!! im excited and scared!

i love blow drying i think it affect the whole finished image, i always ask a customer how they do there own hair weather they blowdry it/rough dry it straighten it etc, and i always find you get a better finish to the hair if you blow dry it into the style and then run the straightners through it and more often that not the next time the customer comes in they say there hair stayed in longer than if they just rough dried the hair first then straightened it (when doing it themselves)

i love blow drying i think it affect the whole finished image, i always ask a customer how they do there own hair weather they blowdry it/rough dry it straighten it etc, and i always find you get a better finish to the hair if you blow dry it into the style and then run the straightners through it and more often that not the next time the customer comes in they say there hair stayed in longer than if they just rough dried the hair first then straightened it (when doing it themselves)

Exactly,most don't realise the difference a good blow dry makes :D

Exactly,most don't realise the difference a good blow dry makes :D

thanks becki :hug: and ive noticed lately people dont just want the straight look they want it with bounce and flicks etc makes ur arms ache especially with longer hair but at least i feel as though ive done the best i can for my client

Latest posts

Back