The blow dry ... a dying art ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Samantha ,the above is nothing a large radial wouldn't sort :D

And as well as me thinking it is often lazy of a stylist,i agree super flat hair isn't attractive .

As you know im not a hair geek but ive been having my hair coloured/cut at hair salon for years (also work in one)

I have noticed that 'Pre-GHD' Irons were never used then all of a sudden there everywhere !

But all of the salons I have been to only use them to 'finish' always had a pro blow dry beforehand. This is also the same where I work.

Personally I prefer a blow dry, at home or the salon :)

Are there amy pro's out there who don't blowdry,not because of and injury but out of choice,what's your take on it ?

Are you using new technology to make your job "easier" ?

Were you never taught the skill of a good blow dry ?

Opinions appreciated thanks x

Yup my blow dry too consists of a blast with the dryer and straightening irons. Not for a long while have I had a proper blow dry in a salon. A lot of it i think is down to time - its quicker to use irons - perhaps they can squeeze in another client at the end of the day.

I tell you what is a dying art too - hair put ups, we hunted high and low for someone who could do wedding put ups, its not taught now-a-days apparantly.

I cant believe its now oppional at college for hair put ups and also gents hairdressing we do alot of weddings and put ups and go out to loads of really nice hotels so there really are some great perks for doing hair ups, but it is an art to it but once the basics are there you can do anything !!( i first learnt doing horses mail and tails for compitions )
:green:

Are there amy pro's out there who don't blowdry,not because of and injury but out of choice,what's your take on it ? I've not met a "pro" who cannot blow dry, some may not out of choice or they send the off to some one else to be finished

Are you using new technology to make your job "easier" ? some of the styling poducts available claim to speed the drying process, but I can't honestly say I've seen different

Were you never taught the skill of a good blow dry ? To get out of our Freshman class a complete blow dry stlye must be passed off before they can graduate, it must be a "stand alone" style that does not need reinforcement with a hot iron, we require 3 different base placements and 2 changes in movement or direction. Most Pivot Point schools if following the Ladies Hair Design book will also be teaching this.

Opinions appreciated thanks x

California has reduces VOC content again and is enforcing strict monetary fines for violations so the manufacturer's here in the states are changing the formulas of their styling products. Hair sprays are becoming lighter, softer and more pliable which leads to softer more pliable hair styles. The trends here should begin leaning toward soft, moveable, touchable hair. Texture through color or chemical texture service (perm) is making a come back to give movement and flow.

Soft, Sexy, full hair is back, just look at the red carpet affairs.

Even thow i'm not an hairdresser i work at a salon with hairdressers and they usually blow dry the hair completely (i think this allow them to give it the desired volume/shape) and then they do a quick sweep of the straightener iron, i think this makes the style hold for longer and resist better.

Yep you are so right. Youngsters new to the industry wont know how to do a decent blow dry soon and to be honest, a good blow dry makes you feel a million dollars. Many people seem to be blind to the damage they are doing to their hair and cant see that they could do with some VOLUME, especially as one gets older. some people derive great benefit from irons; but more people could do with a well executed blow dry!! Wait for the pendulum to swing back the other way.

i blowdried every client properly today.....they loved it!! hehe:lol:

Not a hairdresser, but used to work in one, I went to a college competition with them all and in the blowdry section, one of the older ladies (50's) commented that their was only about 1 real blowdry in the competition, the rest were rough dry and straighten.

As fashion changes I guess so will the need for straighteners....I actually scrunched my hair today and went in to work with a bit of body.....felt wierd so I straightened it later on...I hate my wavy hair lol!

Thanks for the input peep,and good for you hairdresser_jd :D

Jeni i too am delighted soft full styles are back,but i meant when blowdrying straight iykwim xx

I was taught to blow dry the old fashioned way!! Using brushes only!! I used to do a client with very long hair and used to curl it when blow drying and yes like you using tongs/straighteners as a finishing tool only. I think todays styles are changing and are becoming so different and I think perhaps it may be a time saving move?? rough drying hair then using the straighteners for instance, im only guessing as I dont work in a salon anymore.
I have clients that still require the blowdry for their particular style and there is no way i could get buy from just rough drying then using tongs ect.
I do find this an interesting thread well done for posting.

I think blow drying should still be taught, a good blow dry will last for days. I was taught to do it on my course and I think its an essential basic that should still be in there. Using straightening irons is all well and good but they should be a finisher to a blow dry not an instead of.

i am totally against this blast and straighten thing. i think when you visit a salon you should recieve the full service which includes a fantastic blowdry. all the students walking out of college trained are going to be stuck as the new styles coming in are all about volume and movement, not flat boring straight hair (no offence). i think hair should move, dont get me wrong i do use irons but not as much as blowdrying.

Yup my blow dry too consists of a blast with the dryer and straightening irons. Not for a long while have I had a proper blow dry in a salon. A lot of it i think is down to time - its quicker to use irons - perhaps they can squeeze in another client at the end of the day.

I tell you what is a dying art too - hair put ups, we hunted high and low for someone who could do wedding put ups, its not taught now-a-days apparantly.

Hello there,
I am studing at the moment and I can tell you that blow dry is live and kicking big time! so much so, that in my college we do have a internal competition on this, of which I officially am going to take part, so please wish me luck. Irons are ok, as a finishing tool as they do not give you the volume. But you can straighten your hair without them as well, just a BIG round brush will do and some smoothing lotion and off you go.

For hair ups, if you are around here, I will do hair ups for you, just mail me and I see what I can do. Hair ups are still part of studing, NVQ requires Vertical roll. It is true that after gratuating you can do intensive courses with different hairups, and considering the prices they really are worth of doing. The price of one course you can pay by doing one or two weddings. So to me it is blow dry and hair ups, absolutely.:lol:

Hi Nora x of course there are some colleges teaching proper blowdry techniques,unfortunately most do not :(

I agree with you,i am able to achieve a sleek full bodied blowdry with a large radial brush (i prefer a natural bristle to enhance shine ) many are not even taught and i have seen assessments passed when no brush has been used :eek:

When i visited Winter gardens in Blackpool about 18 month ago this was evident for all to see,even on the competition floor (in the blowdry category)

Has for hair up IMO a vertical roll,french plait and a few pin curls / finger waves are hardly going to go down a treat with the fashion conscious client,and again IMO none of the above styles give a basic (hair up ) foundation for the trainee stylist to build on :rolleyes:

True, but iI think that lots of hairdressing is finding out your self as well, meaning we could all watch Patric Cameron DVDs and learn from them, but it would still be very basics. I go to arab countries a lot and my goodness the hair ups in weddings. I actually think that they are THE BEST in the world. Lots of hairups can be learnt from hair magazines if people are interested and if you know the basics of controlling hair, then lots of it is creativity. I practise with my head nearly daily and I think that more I do, more I learn. the latest invention is adding syntetic hair on the hair up just to do patterns in barrel culrs. All that twisting hair is quite nice, and please don't think that I do have lots of time in my hands, because I don't: I have 3 under 5 year olds, I am nearly 40 years old and I run my own business, but to me I am filling my dream.

Nora you hit my point right on the head,it's about being taught the very basics,a foundation on which you can build with experience and creativity :D

And IMO a proper blowdry is one of the most basic services a hairdstylist can offer but it is still being neglected of late which saddens me greatly .

Im no hairdresser, but I have had disaster's in hairsalons when it comes to blowdrying......

I have natural curly hair, so blow-drying needs to be spot on or it just doesn't last. The first sign of any damp and its curly from the roots!! Ive been to too many salons and been head flattened by using straighteners. Mite as well used an iron over my head....Not for me, sorry!

I like to feel the 'pull' with the brush to give loads of lift & body, along with smoothness instead of frizz. The only part I have straightened is my fringe and the rest is done by blow-drying........and it last all week! :green:

I am finding that there is alot missing from beauty school training now a days.
When I went to beauty school it was 2000 hrs..today it is 1600. 400 hrs can make a big diff in learning the basics.

I am just doing my hair and beauty separately. After I finish my NVQ2 I will enroll for level 3. And after my competition on Tuesday, I will hopefully get technical and I can post some pictures.... If my computer agrees with me that is. :green:

Latest posts

Back