The Chinese Cooking Thread

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And@ *flower* .. Anna, you are most welcome. Just one question though.. what oil are you using in the wok? seseame? can you use vegetable? I only have olive oil in the cupboard, flavour with garlic.. what about using that? xxx:hug:

i use sunflower oil... 'flora' to be exact.. and veg oil is also ok... dont use olive oil cos olive oil is too strong.. dont put too much oil in cos then it gets unhealthy.. just maybe a tablespoon is enough....

i cook with a non stick wok cos its easier and the food doesnt stick.. its a western version of the traditional chinese wok.. a chinese wok is made out of steel and more difficult to use.. the chinese cook with very high flame... and in domestic homes we do not have such flame on the cooker... only really take aways/resturants have cooker built for using that.... if any other geeks do happen to have a steel wok then it is important that it is heated up VERY hot... the theory is.... that the hotter the wok.. the less likely the food will stick..

whichever wok you have.. it is still important to heat the wok well.. just more if its made out of steel...

Yummy I can't wait to try some of these recipes. Thanks xx

Hello geeks... its me again....

Here is a simple but yet very healthy dish for all of you.

This is a very popular Chinese home cooking dish. The Chinese believe that the best way to eat seafood is to retain its original flavour using the simplest ingredients. Ginger and spring onion both have the ability to release an aroma to take away any unpleasant smell. They complement each other very well and the perfect combination when cooking seafood.

There isn’t a ‘best’ fish to use for this dish. Use whatever fish that is fresh and to your taste. The most important part is that the fish must be fresh. Bear in mind that nothing is use apart from ginger and spring onion so if you havent chosen a fish which is fresh then you will indeed taste it..!!!

I usually use mostly a type of ‘flat’ fish, such as lemon sole, dover sole or the plaice. The sea bass also workes very well. Recently I have been using the cod fish, the reason being that it is easy to get hold of and is skinless and boneless which is an ideal fish for my little children to eat.

Steamed fish with ginger and spring onion.

You will need:

Fish
Ginger
3 stalks of Spring Onion ( more if you want but no less than 2/3)
Soy sauce
A lttle white pepper

1) Wash and clean fish thoroughly and place on a plate.

2) Shread the ginger – chop in thin slices and then cut vertically.

3) Place ginger on top of the fish.

4) Steam (the amount of steaming time depends on how large the fish is – for an average fish then about 8 minutes is enough. Do not overcook..! )

5) Divide a stalk of spring onion in about 3 and then finely cut each one lengthways (cutting lengthways only for presentation, its quite difficult to do so if you cant manage then just cut any old how..!!)

6) Heat some oil in a separate pan until VERY hot.

7) After the fish is cooked. Pour away any excess water (Important - cos this will get rid of any yucky fishy smell lurking around)

8) Add a little white pepper (again to prevent the fishy smell)

9) Sprinkle the spring onion on top of the fish. Pour immediately the very hot oil on top quickly (will sizzle loudly but do not be afraid…!! the idea is the hot oil will cook the raw spring onion and release its aroma on to the fish)

10) Add soy sauce. Serve.

Now how easy is that....??? :D

Enjoy.

Thanks hun, I have been waiting for your next dish!

I nearly forgot about this thread.

Maybe time to add another receipe if anyone is interested..?

How about....

Beef with green peppers in black bean sauce..?

You will need:

Beef (or chicken or pork)
1 green pepper
1 onion
Dash of soy sauce
Sugar ( approx 1 tablespoon)
Garlic (approx 2 cloves)
2 x tablespoon of Black bean sauce ( can be bought in most major supermaket these days - usually on the asian aisle)
Dash of chinese rice wine (can leave out if you can not find)

1) Cut beef into thin slices. Marinate with little salt and soy sauce.

2) Chop green pepper and onions into squares.

3) Mince the garlic.

4) Add little oil to wok and heat to high heat. Add garlic and swiftly stir until brown.

5) Add onions and stir for about 1 min.

6) Add beef and stir until cooked ( how well done you like the beef is according to your own taste)

7) Add in green peppers and stir fry all the ingredients together swiftly.

8) Add a dash of rice wine. Add black bean sauce, sugar and soy sauce. stir swiftly to mix together well. Serve.

You can replace the beef with chicken or pork. Cut into thin slices and marinate the same way.

Please note that my measurements are only approx. If in doubt then taste the dish before serving.

If it tastes too salty then add more sugar, or if you want a stronger black bean taste then add more sauce. But because black bean sauce is a salty sauce, you must bear in mind the sauce you add, the more sugar you must add to balance the taste.

Happy cooking...!!

Thanks Anna, I'd forgotten this thread as well!! You're a star, sharing your knowledge with us :hug:

Anna do you know how to make Cantonese steak ?

Brilliant thread hun...thanks so much...hubby loves chinese xxxx

Wow this thread is thoroughly enjoying, i have copied and pasted the recepies to try later, Thanks Flower. Jo.xx :hug:

Anna do you know how to make Cantonese steak ?

Strangely enough, I have noticed that Cantonese steak seems to be one of the dishes which varies from take aways to take aways along with a few others.

Does the Cantonese steak you are used to taste sweet and sour..? If it does then here is my receipe. I hope it is the same as the ones you usually eat. If not then give it a go anyway - you might like it..!!

Cantonese Steak

You will need:

For marinate:
1/4 tablespoon chinese 5 spice powder
1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon cornflour
approx 5 tablespoon cooking oil
little white pepper

Fillet beef
2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
2 tablespoon sugar
Dash of light soy sauce
Dash of rice wine ( or sherry if you havent any)
Cornflour

1) Slice up beef and mix in marinate. Leave for as long as possible.

2) Pour some dry cornflour on to a plate and coat beef on both sides.

3) Heat wok with cooking oil and when smoking hot, deep fry the beef piece by piece until brown. Be careful not to overcook beef. Remove steaks to a plate and put aside.

4) When all the beef are cooked, clean the wok.

5) Heat wok again, add little oil, return the steak to wok and add worchestershire sauce, light soy sauce, tomato ketchup, sugar and dash of rice wine.

4) Stir swifly and cover for approx 1 min. The sauce should be thick coating the beef. Serve immediately.

Please note that if the sauce is not thick enough then put a little corn flour and water together in a bowl and slowly add to the beef until your required thickness.

You can also, like most chinese dishes, swap the beef for pork.

Enjoy.

Thanks Anna I will be trying this next week :hug:

Latest posts

Back