The Christmas pinch

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popart

Reaction score
Hey geeks! How is all business' going? I must say I feel like shutting up shop, its def quieter than last year and im gettn really stressed out :(

Agreed, quiet with people cancelling left, right and centre. Boooo to the recession :(

were steady but nowhere near enough as busy as we would like !!
Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

Worst Christmas season in our salon for ten years. Not good at all. We're primarily a hair extensionist- which is quite an outlay (and we're not a cheap place either), and even our WAG clients are feeling the pinch.

Lots of cancellations, plenty of no-shows- and (for us this is unusual) people "haggling" on prices, which is just plain embarrasing for all parties really.

You'll absolutely have people who are doing well (and good luck to them!) but I really do believe that this is the year that the recession finally hit this industry.

We're throwing the kitchen sink at the next quarters marketing to help us along.

5 cancellations this week.

So bloody angry, I was going to take deposits for December but when I mentioned it to my parents they said "if someone asked me for a deposit I would be offended" so I didn't ask anyone except one lady that messes me about (who STILL hasn't paid the deposit anyway)!

Xxx

Good Lord!...you HAVE To ask for a deposit! ...don't be ashamed of asking, it's absolutely industry standard.

Good Lord!...you HAVE To ask for a deposit! ...don't be ashamed of asking, it's absolutely industry standard.

I thought so too and now I feel like a right nonce. Still, 3rd Christmas lucky... There's always 2013 :(

Xx

Ive had No shows galore, I'm really frustrated by this!!! I think outside the box with my promotions and advertising, I'm up to date with all the latest trends, its really disheartening :-(

I'm given to understand that beauty and hair are two of the last professions to be hit by recessionary times and I agree with extensionize; it's finally biting.
I'm also told that they're the industries to recover quickly. Let's hope so!
Time to rein in the unnecessary spending and to up the ante in terms of marketing and skills.

I don't want to say this out loud in case I jinx myself, so I will whisper it...... I am chokka block! I literally have just 2 spaces left and haven't stopped this week either. I'm a home salon and this is my first Christmas so have to say I'm mightily chuffed as I thought I'd be dead quiet. And having been panicking that I wouldn't have a soul in January either, the first week is booked up already. Am so surprised.

Hope things pick up for you all next week, people do leave these things until last minute so don't give up hope just yet :hug:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Thankfully i'm on par with last year but could be busier
Xx

Sent from my GT-I8150 using SalonGeek

Yep same here. Had last minute cancellation and a no show this week. I have advertised locally and have a great website with 1st page google search rankings but nothing seems to be generating the volume of clients I want. I was really expecting to be crazy busy, feel really disheartened tbh.

I have had a few cancellations and was quiet the first week of December but pretty busy this week and manic the next.

Still pretty scary as I know that January and February will be quiet.

I have been doing a lucky dip for customers, as a little thank you to my client as there is a lot of competition in our town and I am not the cheapest.

Prizes are mainly little gifts like mini solar oil, mini scentsations lotions and also vouchers. All vouchers are redeemable January/February and are for £5 off over £20, free eyebrow wax etc. Mainly upselling so people still have to spend something with me!!

Hopefully it will get better for all of us

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.

There is so much competition in my town. I have set up packages to draw them in. People cancelling and no shows is so annoying. We are a partnership thr hair end is doing far better but then again there is a big difference in the pricing. I had to let one employee go and now have 2 full time. I feel like a busy fool, working all hours ands days and coming out with nothing. What do I do? I broke down today cause the bills are still flowing and not the money. Rent and rates are a killer, those working from home are lucky as u have no overheads xx

I'm a bit quiet this week. Next week a lot busier but I still have spaces available. Not stressing though because I'm mobile I have to get from one place to the next so it gives me a bit if breathing room (dead time income wise though :(
My regulars are all booked in and they have been with me all year so I'm glad for the support and they will be with me in the new year too.
Vicki x

I'm dead :0( it's my first Christmas so thought it might be slow but not this slow.
Yesterday was my best day in wks and wks and that was only 3 booking ((cry))
Least I've had time to do my Christmas shopping

*Whispers and touches wood* I'm busier then ever! Fully booked and already booked nicely for the 1st week in January and a few in the 2nd week.

Since Nov iv started my 2nd year in business and I'm so pleased. When I look back a year ago at what I was taking till now.... What a difference :)

*Whispers and touches wood* I'm busier then ever! Fully booked and already booked nicely for the 1st week in January and a few in the 2nd week.

Since Nov iv started my 2nd year in business and I'm so pleased. When I look back a year ago at what I was taking till now.... What a difference :)

Thats brilliant. Im going into my 3rd year now. Last month I counted 200 spray tans this month only 7 so far. Really hope it picks up. Have appointments jus not as many

We're not busy and the stress of it is making me so stressed. I have been in business since April 2011 opened the salon in Nov 2011 had and amazing may-October. Nov was des and December isn't great were fully booked next Friday and have quite a few appointments next week but nothing major.

I really don't know what to more marketing wise. I've done leaflet drops before with no success, I give to loads of raffles, I've handed out Xmas cards with vouchers for Xmas.

I attend pamper nights. I have a database where I send regular emails. I have a FB page with 580 likes.

We are doing great at re-booking.

I am started to feel so disheartened that I don't want to try, which isn't like me. I need a kick up the bum.

X

It's all a bit last minute now to get bums on seats before Christmas but what you could be doing with your quiet time is starting to prepare for January/February.

Why not send out a letter to lapsed clients with an offer/incentive/bribe to come back & see you. Generally these give a good rate of response as clients have done business with you before.

Or put some packages together of treatments that generally don't get booked in for. Do them at a good price & get your regulars to book in. The more you ask, the more will book so don't feel disheartened if the 1st 3 you ask so no. It's a numbers game, plain & simple.

Orrrrr, do a monthly competition to encourage cross sells. Whatever your client books in for (other than their usual treatment), they will go in a draw to win that FREE the following month.

Just a couple of ideas off the top of my head....

Latest posts

Back