The Circus came to town...... (not nail related)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackieMc

Reaction score
The other week a Circus came to Dublin - I heard on the radio that people were outside peacefully protesting against the use of animals in this type of 'entertainment'. I shook my head and agreed with the protestors - for a long time now I've been against the use of any animal in a travelling circus, but I've not particularly thought about what goes on 'behind the scenes'.

Tonight I was sitting watching 'Monkey Business' - a great programme about the sanctuary in Dorset (I think) called Monkey World, it's probably a repeat, but this episode dealt with a baby chimp called Trudy who had been owned by Mary Chipperfield (Chipperfield Circus etc.) - I'd seen this little one before, and knew the story behind her 'rescue', but this time they showed the video footage which was captured by Animal Defenders...... Mary Chipperfield beating and beating and kicking this poor little baby, an 18th month old chimp, who was screaming and screaming in terror. It was absolutely horrendous and I cried and cried. Her living conditions were disgraceful, and yet when Mary Chipperfield was found guilty on 12 counts of cruelty to this little chimp, she was only fined. I would have thought she'd have been banned for life from ever keeping animals again. One of her male associates was actually convicted for cruelty to one of her elephants, again continual beating, this time the elephant was actually very ill, but beaten nontheless in order to get it to do a little pirouette!

Anyway, I did a couple of searches on the 'net and found a heap of websites informing people of the cruelty that goes on behind the scenes, whether it be physical or mental. For anyone who still considers an animal circus to be a form of entertainment (and lets hope there aren't too many), and who may be thinking about taking their children to view this barbaric treatment of animals during the summer holidays, I urge you to look at these websites and view the video clips of how the animals are treated whilst undergoing 'training', IT'S NOT PRETTY! If you are upset by animals screaming in pain and cowering in terror whilst being 'trained' for the circus ring - then perhaps you shouldn't view the videos. The one on tv of Mary Chipperfield beating that baby chimp was enough for me.

I don't usually get on my 'soap box' but if I manage to stop just one person from ever visiting an animal circus again, it's been worth all the snivelling I've been doing whilst typing this message. :cry:

http://www.captiveanimals.org/circuses/circus.htm

http://www.circuses.com/

I`m totaly with you Jackie, I`m not an animal lover in any way, shape or form and I won`t watch animal programmes either but I was very much aware of the cruelty that goes on behind the scenes and have never taken my children to see a circus for that reason.
To think that with all the proof against Mary Chipperfield and she only getting a fine makes my blood boil, and something more should be done against animal cruelty.

I am an animal lover and I don't go to circuses for that reason - I can totally understand what you went through watching that horrific programme. So keep up the good work and hopefully there's enough of us around to make a difference. Rant over! Take care xxx

i wouldnt set foot near a circus i think they are horrible , i did a project at school (many years ago) about animal cruelty, and some of the info i got was horrendus, it made you feel sick what people do to animals, i dont aggree with the loonys that burn battery farms down (with the chickens inside!! ) coz to me that in it self doesnt fight the cause as they themselves are being cruel!!, but i have a strong dislike of any animal cruelty, i dont even like it when farmers tap the cows with that stick thing!! which doesnt go down well as hubby is from farming family!! i am always telling em off , but they just think i am a bit oddcoz i dont eat meat lol :lol: , it is awful at xmas they try ramm meat down me , right i am going now coz i have got on me soapbox lol :lol:

I get very upset by animal cruelty :mad: I think people should go to prison for what they put these poor creatures through. As an animal lover, They are like children, So trusting and loving. Cruelty to Animals, Children and old people should carry a life sentence.
Oh i better calm down :o

Obviously I am mistaken as I thought animal circuses were now banned. They should be - it's just not 21st century entertainment (not that it ever was)

I personally think that the people who have been cruel to animals should have done to them what they put the animals through. That would certainly help get my anger out on them, lets see how they like to be caged and wipped and smacked round the face lots of times.......i'll do it to 'em!!!!!

Okay i'll calm down now.

Latest posts

Back