The client who I can never make happy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*dannables

Reaction score
Hey guys I'd love some advice on this difficult client I have. A little background... she's an older woman (early 70's) who is on lots of pain meds and other medications from her various surgeries in the last yr or two.... she has thin, flat hair that she likes to keep in a pixie that I think looks wack but it's what she insists on and gives me hell if I don't make it long enough on top but she wants 1/2 in bangs in the front....she is also is the gma of a family that I have worked for as a nanny for over 10 yrs so the ties are pretty deep.... I've had my license for 5 yrs and have been doing her hair ever since...shes passive aggressive, never fully satisfied, and most frustrating, has no idea what she really wants.... the first couple of years she did a solid color and was manageable but every color was never red enough, but then it's too red, etc... however the last 2 yrs she is obsessed with having highlights with lots of other colors in the red and brown tones.... our consultations go like this: her: I want lots Lots of highlights, not too blonde but I want some orange and red to show through as well... then for my base I don't want it red but I don't want it brown but it needs to be light enough that it doesn't look dark but dark enough that it's not light...me: ??? honestly I have to ask over and again what color she wants it and every time I repeat it back to her I don't get it right, then she grills me about not asking her the right questions when she ends up unhappy... I drive over an hr to do her hair in her home since I've moved away for university and this past yr I've had to redo her hair several times because she was really not happy... sometimes asking me to make another trip without pay...I've literally done every brown red, red brown color and all assortments of highlights and no single time has she been happy enough to repeat it... usually the time she really hates it is when I give her exactly what she asked for down to the exact hair swatch she selected....her hair is so overprocessed because she has me change it so much and when I try to explain that the longer this cycle keeps but the less and less I'll be able to give her what she wants as her hair has noticeably not been holding color but I should just be able to magic that away with no commitment to proper upkeep on her end... so how would you guys break up with her? My sanity is struggling with this one.

I think that the stress she's giving you is definitely worth more than your paying in colours and travel PLUS the payment. I wouldn't bother. Maybe speak to the family and just explain to them and you could also use your excuse of uni that it's too far for you to travel and that you won't be coming around that area anymore. If you've done all you can do you could also suggest that she goes and tries some other salons near by her, if you know some good ones. Recommend them to her and say you'll be able to pas them on your colour history, as clearly you aren't able to achieve what she's looking for. I know it's a sensitive subject It's not worth your time, effort and mental wellness. My nerves would be shot if I were you. No time for clients like that making you feel awful for the days before and after.

You don't have to do her hair!

Next time she contacts you, tell her that you're focussing on building your clientele within an x mile radius and no longer able to travel to her area.
Keep the call short and if she tries to argue with you just keep repeating:

'I'm sorry, but that doesn't work for me'.

Don't engage with her in any other conversation but keep repeating the above.
She won't like it but she will get the message.

Completely agree with AcidPerm!

WHY WHY WHY do we put ourselves through this sh*t.

This type of client gets off on keeping you 'beneath' them.:oops:

You are the professional...stop letting them dictate...i.e. fine hair, lots of highlight's = an all over colour!! o_O

Remember, you're not on her payroll. :p

I'm not a hairdresser but from an outsiders point of view....she doesn't hate it that much or she wouldn't keep coming back! :rolleyes:

Trust me, if a hairdresser doesn't do my hair the way I want it I sure as hell am not going back to them ;)

I think she's just one of life's moaners, I suspect she's lonely so enjoys the company. She might be one of those bitter old people who like to try to intimidate people, or any number of reasons, but ultimately if you don't want to do her hair then just don't do it like AcidPerm says above.

I 'get' the ties are deep, but lets be frank if she's this unpleasant to you she's probably worse to family who have to take her moods so they won't be surprised if you stop doing her hair. I'd subtly turn it around that you're doing her a favour....say things like...'I can't do your hair how you want and it upsets me to see you so unhappy with my work so I think you should find a better hairdresser'.....she won't find anyone better, or anyone who will stand for her nonsense like you have but it leaves her feeling in control.

Then skip off into the future into better brighter things guilt and stress free

You don't have to do her hair!

Next time she contacts you, tell her that you're focussing on building your clientele within an x mile radius and no longer able to travel to her area.
Keep the call short and if she tries to argue with you just keep repeating:

'I'm sorry, but that doesn't work for me'.

Don't engage with her in any other conversation but keep repeating the above.
She won't like it but she will get the message.

Very good, totally agree. And if she continues to call etc dont answer lol

Latest posts

Back