The Cloud Nail Bar

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailsXpress

Reaction score
Has anyone had any dealings with them? Thinking of applying for a position with them. Will be at Manchester Airport.

All I can tell you from first hand knowledge is that every nail bar at Man. Airport has been a spectacular failure going back 15 years. I'd be thinking of another position if I were you.

Think about it .. Most women have their nails done before they go away so at best you would be picking up impulse buyers. No repeat business. Repairs. Children? I have seen so many at Man airport come and go. Sitting around waiting for business? Just think about what you would do and that will clue you in as to the type of business you will be/or not be getting. Think it through.

Oh that's not good then!

Oh that's not good then!

Well lets just say it has never worked before and there have been numerous attempts.
Would you go to an airport nail bar regularly for a service? No
Would you get a repair? Maybe if needed.
Would you not go to your regular technician before going away? Yes
Would you get your daughter a paint job to keep her occupied? Maybe
It's totally an impulse thing. Think about it!
Would they pay you by the hour for no work? No! commission? Probably only.
You only have to think it through to know you must be very cautious.

I'm sure that you want to hear great things .. But you won't because no one has ever had a successful business at Man Airport.

Last edited:
If it was an employed position where you'd get a wage I think it's something worth considering in that when working for a big company it's more about moving customers along a conveyor belt than getting a regular clientelle (this isn't to everyones taste but it can be good for experience...I have a feeling that working for nails inc might be a similar thing perhaps).

If you're ok with the crazy working hours I think it would be a good experience. Maybe jobs in airports have a high staff turnover due to the working hours being all over the place but yeah, I'd go for it.

If it was an employed position where you'd get a wage I think it's something worth considering in that when working for a big company it's more about moving customers along a conveyor belt than getting a regular clientelle (this isn't to everyones taste but it can be good for experience...I have a feeling that working for nails inc might be a similar thing perhaps).

If you're ok with the crazy working hours I think it would be a good experience. Maybe jobs in airports have a high staff turnover due to the working hours being all over the place but yeah, I'd go for it.
Tell me .. Why would you give that advice when no one to date has ever had a successful business at the airport ? Is that really sound business advice?

I travel through that airport regularly and have done for years and I have never seen anyone having their nails done. Not once. Bored technician sat at the desk, and no one in the chair. Plus we have been approached to supply so many times by people opening up there and thank god always declined because they have always folded within a year or so. My advice is based on experience; on what do you base your advice to, go for it?

It is an employed position, good salary plus commission on treatments and sale of products. I believe it's only going to be polishing nails, maybe eyebrows and tans but not sure on that yet. Like Geeg said, thinking about and asking colleagues, who has their nails done when they are waiting for a plane and may have to dash when they are still wet too! Just not sure about it now.

Tell me .. Why would you give that advice when no one to date has ever had a successful business at the airport ? Is that really sound business advice?

I travel through that airport regularly and have done for years and I have never seen anyone having their nails done. Not once. Bored technician sat at the desk, and no one in the chair. Plus we have been approached to supply so many times by people opening up there and thank god always declined because they have always folded within a year or so. My advice is based on experience; on what do you base your advice to, go for it?

Everything you say is entirely agreeable. I don't disagree with it at all.

My advice is based on how diffferent people look for different things in a job. If someone is looking to work for a top company and be really busy and stay with the company on a long term basis then based on what you say, it probably wouldn't be the job for them.

However, it is the sort of job I would go for as someone who is looking to have a varied range and amount of experience on my cv whilst being at the stage in my career where I am working for a wage. In the worst case scenario, if the company I worked for didn't succeed it would still have been a constructive experience of employment that would have widened my experience of the industry in the long run and overall. Looking for another job upon a companys closure would be all part of the package I guess.

So I totally agree with what you're saying geeg. The wise words that come from experience are always worth listening to. If someone is looking to build a client base and has aspirations in this respect then applying to work in an airport is probably not for them. If someone (like myself) is looking to experience lots of things within the industry and is working for a wage then the sort of jobs they'd go for would probably be different. I can imagine that someone in their early career would consider applying to nails inc but someone who is in the later part of their career would probably expect more from a job and this is ok too :)

Is Be Relax still at Manchester Airport? I see recruitment adds for them every now and then (which again, probably speaks volumes about the kind of jobs that it could be re high staff turnover perhaps but still.....)

Tis all good :)

It is an employed position, good salary plus commission on treatments and sale of products. I believe it's only going to be polishing nails, maybe eyebrows and tans but not sure on that yet. Like Geeg said, thinking about and asking colleagues, who has their nails done when they are waiting for a plane and may have to dash when they are still wet too! Just not sure about it now.

So very small treatments ... so commission not great. Who gets a tan at the airport? People do these thing BEFORE they go, not at the airport under pressure of time. Delays might work well for these places, but airports do not operate on delays and do everything to prevent them ... You sure cant rely on them for your business. All I'm doing is trying to get you to think logically, before making a decision. I'm not going to sugar coat it.

Everything you say is entirely agreeable. I don't disagree with it at all.

My advice is based on how diffferent people look for different things in a job. If someone is looking to work for a top company and be really busy and stay with the company on a long term basis then based on what you say, it probably wouldn't be the job for them.

However, it is the sort of job I would go for as someone who is looking to have a varied range and amount of experience on my cv whilst being at the stage in my career where I am working for a wage. In the worst case scenario, if the company I worked for didn't succeed it would still have been a constructive experience of employment that would have widened my experience of the industry in the long run and overall. Looking for another job upon a companys closure would be all part of the package I guess.

So I totally agree with what you're saying geeg. The wise words that come from experience are always worth listening to. If someone is looking to build a client base and has aspirations in this respect then applying to work in an airport is probably not for them. If someone (like myself) is looking to experience lots of things within the industry and is working for a wage then the sort of jobs they'd go for would probably be different. I can imagine that someone in their early career would consider applying to nails inc but someone who is in the later part of their career would probably expect more from a job and this is ok too :)

Is Be Relax still at Manchester Airport? I see recruitment adds for them every now and then (which again, probably speaks volumes about the kind of jobs that it could be re high staff turnover perhaps but still.....)

Tis all good :)

Experience is good only if you get paid. If the company sinks then it is the little people who do not get paid ... That sucks, and I'd rather not have that experience.

Also being bored out of your mind for hours with no clients is not the greatest experience and does not enhance your skills or your career. Nor does it look great on the CV when tho company you have worked for goes bust.

Are you saying this is a top company offering this job?

I actually got emailed by them as they found my cv from somewhere and emailed me wanting me to go to see them as I'm 13 years qualified and they said they wanted someone with my experience ! I never went looking for the job it came to me ! When they said about hours etc I wasn't sure as it's 5am starts some mornings ! The open day is 4th Monday and they want to see me but I'm not sure at all xx

I had my nails done in Gatwick years ago by someone I knew who wasn't doing to the best of standards. 10mins later I paid £15 for the file and polish and it was smudged in the next 10mins. Bit expensive for a client that was not going to rave about this service to anyone.

Back at my salon my clients always book in before their holiday travels. They want it done and dry and they often choose brands like shellac, gelish etc to have done to get the few weeks worth of colour. I have had a client who admitted to having their nails done at the airport but said it wasn't worth it as it was smudged not long after.

In the beauty industry we love building a rapor with our clients (not best buddies but showing we care) and you wouldn't be able to establish that with a nail bar in an airport with no repeat custom. I bet if you took on the job role you might not feel fulfilled in a few months time.

Everything Geeg has said is right, I hope you choose wisely xxx

Steph123, thats exactly what happened to me. They found my cv on a forum and asked me to go along as I had the experience etc they require.
Like you say, awful hours but the salary is good. Maybe IF I go along then I will just tell them that I would only be interested in the daytime hours.

But is it worth travelling all that way each day just to be bored?

Oooohhhhh, I just cant make my mind up.

I'll see how I feel about it at the weekend before I need to make a final decision.

I actually got emailed by them as they found my cv from somewhere and emailed me wanting me to go to see them as I'm 13 years qualified and they said they wanted someone with my experience ! I never went looking for the job it came to me ! When they said about hours etc I wasn't sure as it's 5am starts some mornings ! The open day is 4th Monday and they want to see me but I'm not sure at all xx

They 'found' your cv from somewhere? That sounds suss and at the least a violation of your right to privacy. I wonder who has been holding that personal data and passed it on?? Sounds like a law suit in the making! There is such a thing as data protection.

Seems that the job is being blanket offered to more than a few. Why would any experienced tech want to work or anyone other than herself? Well I certainly wouldn't anyway unless I was desperate. :lol:

Sitting around for hours at a time staring at an empty chair will suck the life out of you. Then when a client does come in you'll be put out because they interrupted your game you playing on your phone! You can lose your spirit and passion. We are nail techs because we have passion and drive for doing nails, not for sitting around! IMHO.

They found it on hair and beauty jobs website ! Put it on there ages ago!
I'm not sure weather to go but not sure ill bother as I got a perfectly good job in a hair salon ! I told them I'm only free on certain days and they still wanted me to go xx

They must be a bit desperate for people if they still wanted you to go.

I'm with laurakate

With the technology of gel and shellac nails that are cure in seconds under UV light - it strikes me that the time is right for a nail bar to take on the airport scene.
Think like a traveller/tourist
Waiting for your flight to your business meeting - 15 mins to spare - nails shaped and painted - I think this could work.
Delayed and bored nails painted whilst waiting

1st thing i do is paint my nails on holiday!

I still stand by everything I have said.

I travel all the time as many of you know .... I pass by empty massage chairs, that no one is using ... And as I said, over the years, many empty nail bars. The only thing I ever see that is always busy in the USA is shoe shine boys! Chairs always full and usually two at a time working. :D

Never seen a nail bar yet in an American Airport I have visited. If it was going to work, it would work there! Never seen a nail bar in Singapore, Dubai. Or Korea where if you wanted quick cheap fast service, it would certainly be available. Working in Manchester Airport! I don't think so. Just my opinion. Good luck to anyone who tries it (and many have, and failed).

I used to sell CND to a girl who set up a small nail bar at Leeds Bradford Airport ... She actually held on there for a year but all she really did, she told me, was to retail polish, false hair extensions, bit of make up and it more turned into a little kiosk shop that in the end closed down after the first year. She told me she was rarely ever asked by anyone for a manicure or polish.

Not a nail tech (yet) but I thought I would throw in my opinion of the customer. I regularly get my nails shellac'd and always make sure they are done fresh for my holidays. I couldn't ever imagine it taking off. I travel loads too and also have children. By the time we get through security (never get to airport early as I have way too much other things to think of) its time.e to eat then board. Running about after kids I am not thinking about getting my nails done. Obv my opinion as some people 'might' but I am with geeg on this.
Other big groups are too interested in hitting the bar before they fly and business people....well they are mostly stuck in their laptops.
No repeat business just the odd person who would go for it. Like I said I may be wrong but I can't see it ever taking off. I am all for new business opportunities but in this instance I would run a mile.

Xx

Latest posts

Back