The Daily Mail's review of Tesco's salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJK

Addicted to pilates geek
Reaction score
Look at how cheap they are.I wonder what they are paying the therapists.

Look at how cheap they are.I wonder what they are paying the therapists.
Minimum wage probably, or not a lot more. Plus, they are probably using budget products. I couldn't identify the range of polish used from the photos, but it's probably from one of their counters so you can buy the same shade while you are there.

Don't forget that the reviewer says that everything is done super quick - no nail soak in the manicure and so on.

I don't think salons have anything to worry about.

This bit made me chuckle....

"I had wanted an eyelash tint and hair colour, but was given that old health and safety mantra about needing a patch test 24 hours beforehand to ensure I don’t have an allergic reaction, so that was out"

Why would Liz think it is an old health and safety mantra! This is very much here and now.......

Or did I misunderstand her?

I don't think that those salons offering a quality, non-rushed, non-conveyor belt service will have too much to worry about.

It seems to me that Tesco will be offering a completely different type & level of service than most High Street/home salons.

If price was an issue (which it isn't for most people) then there'd be no posh expensive cars sold & Harrods & Harvey Nics et al wouldn't do so well.

This bit made me chuckle....

"I had wanted an eyelash tint and hair colour, but was given that old health and safety mantra about needing a patch test 24 hours beforehand to ensure I don’t have an allergic reaction, so that was out"

Why would Liz think it is an old health and safety mantra! This is very much here and now.......

Or did I misunderstand her?
No, I don't think you misunderstood her. I read her columns, right back to when she wrote for the Sunday Times, and I think she is a "I want it now, and I want it my way" type of person. The sort every salon has one of and they are desperate to get rid of.

Tesco is welcome to her. I'd hate her attitude in my salon.

Did you see this bit?

"Also, the ‘no appointment’ policy is liberating, having been scolded for turning up late at the Aveda spa in London’s Covent Garden on many occasions, meaning I always feel more stressed, not less."

Grr! Does she not realise the repercussions of her turning up late?

I have always despised that woman, even more so now! :green:

People that want their beauty treatments done in Tescos are not people we want in our salons anyway!!
:smack:

People that want their beauty treatments done in Tescos are not people we want in our salons anyway!!
:smack:

Tell me why you don't want me in your salon?

I hate Tesco with a vengeance but a salon in Tesco would get my money...and here's why.

Convenience.
I work shifts and i don't know 2 weeks in advance when i'll be free for an appointment (I also hate phoning people). I have a hole in my tooth that needs a crown and has been waiting 18 months for me to make an appointment, I'm hardly gonna be able to do it for a treat like a manicure if I cant do it for the dentist.

Frendliness
I have been to proper salons when on hols or in the city and I find them terrifying and intimdating to even go in the door. Tesco is a known quantity. I think you underestimate how patronising beauty professionals can be to a novice who doesn't know what's expeceted of them.

Locality
I'm guessing that the Tesco salon will not make it to my town. This is very disappointing as there simply aren't any beauty salons in my town. There may be mobile people but if there are they don't advertise well enough.

I would love to be able to go to a salon for something every couple of months and despite being on a low income I could budget for that but with attitudes like yours Tesco would be my only option

Tell me why you don't want me in your salon?

I hate Tesco with a vengeance but a salon in Tesco would get my money...and here's why.

Convenience.
I work shifts and i don't know 2 weeks in advance when i'll be free for an appointment (I also hate phoning people). I have a hole in my tooth that needs a crown and has been waiting 18 months for me to make an appointment, I'm hardly gonna be able to do it for a treat like a manicure if I cant do it for the dentist.

Frendliness
I have been to proper salons when on hols or in the city and I find them terrifying and intimdating to even go in the door. Tesco is a known quantity. I think you underestimate how patronising beauty professionals can be to a novice who doesn't know what's expeceted of them.

Locality
I'm guessing that the Tesco salon will not make it to my town. This is very disappointing as there simply aren't any beauty salons in my town. There may be mobile people but if there are they don't advertise well enough.

I would love to be able to go to a salon for something every couple of months and despite being on a low income I could budget for that but with attitudes like yours Tesco would be my only option
I think La Dolce Vita was referring to the fact, as seen in previous posts, that this woman had already confessed to regularly being late to appointments, and she didn't see the need for standard health and safety procedures.

I can think of one big reason why you'd not be an ideal customer for a busy salon, namely:

Convenience - salons need time to set up for treatments and need to book efficiently so as to cover the costs of the ongoing overheads. Also, if a salon is busy, it's hardly their fault if a customer is in a situation where they are unable to phone in advance or just 'don't like phoning people'.

As regards the 'journalist' - thank heavens none of my clients are like her, she exemplifies that selfish me-me-me attitude that is so ugly in people.

People always think that no appointment salons are more convenient, but I worked in a supercuts once ( not for long tho, horrible place) but people ended up sitting and waiting over 2 hours to get their hair cut, they would complain that they were wasting their day off...so why not just book an appointment somewhere, u don't have to book weeks in advance, just a few days! And the fact that it's cheap means the staff are having to rush every single client to get even a sniff of commission , so your treatment is nit going to be great either...people will try tescos but most won't go a second or third time , IMO

The manicure was excellent and super fast. But in the interests of speed, a finger soak first is omitted, as is a massage, so cuticles are not softened before being pushed back, which earned them a black mark.
EXCELLENT- REALLY??

Soraya went to cut my cuticles without asking permission (I don’t believe in cutting them — on my wedding day, a manicurist at the very chi-chi Cowshed spa at Babington House, Somerset, made my fingers bleed on my cream Helmut Lang trouser suit), but on the whole she did an expert job.
Now they are performing open nail surgery, cutting living tissue, very expertly done.............. I rest my case!!!!

This sounds more and more like an NSS type salon!!!!!!

I think it sounds great for those who like cheap and cheerful (nothing wrong with that).

Cheap places will only attract people who had no intention of going to a more expensive salon (or to any salon) in the first place, so I doubt you'll lose custom.

You only need to look at how many expensive hair salons do well, yet there are plenty of SuperCuts around.

tesco is welcome to clients like her.

She selfishly keeps her therpists waiting on many occasions ( this is just plain rude) and has no regard for health and safety.

I am very lucky, my clients arent like her, they dont arrive late, care that I care about their wellbeing and dont want me to rush or omit parts of treatments.

Oh Mr Tesco what a rod you have made for your own back.

tesco is welcome to clients like her.

She selfishly keeps her therpists waiting on many occasions ( this is just plain rude) and has no regard for health and safety.

I am very lucky, my clients arent like her, they dont arrive late, care that I care about their wellbeing and dont want me to rush or omit parts of treatments.

Oh Mr Tesco what a rod you have made for your own back.

I agree entirely, who would even want a client like that?! She typifies that attitude of a minority of people who think anyone providing a service is just a modern day slave who should attend to their every whim. That she disregards the therapists knowledge and health/safety issues (I've seen a tint go wrong and it's not a pretty sight, not by me I hasten to add!), and selfishly has no regard for the clients who might be kept waiting because she couldn't be bothered to turn up on time, speaks volumes!

Did you see this from a lady underneath the article in the comment section LOL
With her interest in fashion and beauty, Liz obviously is very concerned with her physical appearance - in which case, I will give her a professional tip absolutely free of charge to make her look 100% better- stop dying your hair black and get it cut into some sort of style, and quit the black eye liner and black eyebrows. PLEASE

Read more: Tesco spa: A leg wax as you stock up on Hob Nobs and soap powder | Mail Online

This article made me really angry and then I just laughed at it. This woman clearly doesn't know what she wants, much less what a 'spa' is. I looked up the definition of spa and one website said, you should at least be given a robe and slippers, be in a relaxing environment with pleasant chilled music playing.
Now, Liz bought her gown and slippers, was not in a relaxing atmosphere and there was no pleasant music to speak of!!! So my question is, how can Tesco have the audacity to call this a spa in the first place!!!!
Liz says she wants more than a beauty salon nowadays, but yet, she was happy with a sub-standard, rushed manicure??? And don't all of us fix a smudged nail upon request? It's our JOB!!
Convenience aside, I really don't think we have anything to worry about. People pay and will continue to pay a little extra for some real pampering time in an actual salon, where there is a wide range of treatments, relaxing surroundings and a bit of privacy. I don't think Liz really understands this as I refer to he comment about wondering how many beauty salons will go out of business. As someone else said, I think people will try Tescos once and not back. Other people will love it and be regulars, but are these people, who want speed over quality, cheapness over the wonderful products we all use in our salons, really the kind of people any of us wants as clients?

Yes agree with you all she does seem to come across as a bit of a silly self indulgent self obsessed person lol

but i must say i laughed when she said that she spotted a linen cupboard children could be locked in lol oooooooooooo for one of those linen cupboards in my salon!

Latest posts

Back