The Daily Mail's review of Tesco's salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked in a very pricey salon at one stage and they actually got you to do treatments that sound very similar to those described, non soaking no massage etc. And I remember one tech was awful at nails but very loud and bubbly and people just liked to hear her stories so returned. Also in regards to the other post about people saying it's maybe an entry level place to work for people newly qualified, I think after reading this it is a bad idea it will show people the wrong way to do things and pick up bad habits! X

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Well it's McDonalds v Abode, isn't it? One doesn't replace the other; they serve different needs at different times. I doubt whether any quality salon will be seriously challenged by this.

I think it's a good idea for those who want a quick something whilst they shop. I don't know how convenient it would be though to have to go to have a tint test then go back for treatment the next day, which is a necessity for treatments like that.

It would be no good for me personally as I wouldn't be able to resist the urge to just buy a pint of milk whilst I was there as I'd end up spending £70 on something and nothing. I'll stick to just shopping for food at Tesco.

If a client is running 10 minutes late for their appointment then that means the therapist will be running 10 minutes late for their next client and so on. How can running a non appointment system be beneficial? I would rather book an appointment than go into a salon and have to wait for god knows how long to be seen.

Can you imagine it, you go into Tescos you book a time slot which is some 40 minutes time, you then start your shopping and a little later on a voice comes across the tannoy system "Mrs SoandSo your time slot for your bikini wax is now available, please go to booth 4". I'm sure they won't but it did tickle me at the thought of this LOL xxx

If a client is running 10 minutes late for their appointment then that means the therapist will be running 10 minutes late for their next client and so on. How can running a non appointment system be beneficial? I would rather book an appointment than go into a salon and have to wait for god knows how long to be seen.

horses for courses. I'd rather wait 'god knows how long' than go through my phone terror and make an appointment.

horses for courses. I'd rather wait 'god knows how long' than go through my phone terror and make an appointment.

Each to their own hun :)

Firstly I have to say as a customer yes it is daunting ringing and booking an appointment but isn't this what we do for doctors, dentist etc???

But as a hairdresser to wait around for unorganised clients is a nightmare. We are all trained professionals and timing is everything not to mention the quality of work we all produce and this we should be proud of. Every post I have read has shown commitment to their work and for that I know exactly why I do the job I do xx

Firstly I have to say as a customer yes it is daunting ringing and booking an appointment but isn't this what we do for doctors, dentist etc???

But as a hairdresser to wait around for unorganised clients is a nightmare. We are all trained professionals and timing is everything not to mention the quality of work we all produce and this we should be proud of. Every post I have read has shown commitment to their work and for that I know exactly why I do the job I do xx

My piont exactly:) Well said.

I'm not too concerned - BUT - I just wonder if its Tesco's big ambition to crush every high street salon as they have done so mercilessly to all our high street grocery, fruit, bakery hardware shops.

So make sure they can't by doing what you all do best and offer the best service ever - they can't compete with that!!!:cool:

I'm not too concerned - BUT - I just wonder if its Tesco's big ambition to crush every high street salon as they have done so mercilessly to all our high street grocery, fruit, bakery hardware shops.

So make sure they can't by doing what you all do best and offer the best service ever - they can't compete with that!!!:cool:

It really does seem like, after killing off so much of the high street, they've said "Ooh what else can we do?". If they start doing estate agency and charity shops most of our high streets will be well and truly finished!

I mean have you seen what they sell ? horseriding gear? disability gear - you name it they got it - so salons was def on their agenda. Bloody ****s haha

You come across as being so angry and defensive hun and I don't understand why.
There are many ways of booking appointments with salons, you can, pop in on your way home, you can text you can book on line.
Personaly having some teenage lad with his mates standing at the end of the isle sniggering away, hopeing to see me have my legs waxed holds far more fear and distaste for me then a phone call, but as already said, each to their own. On the subject of waiting, I wonder how you will feel about waiting when you actually have to do it, my down time is important to me and I would not want to spend it standing in a que not daring to move away because that 40 minute wait is going to be constant all day.
Also my clients know when they arrive they will have a cup of coffee or tea waiting for them, after the first few visits I will do my best to supply them with their fav beverage. My service list always includes all the little extra's and by the way my half leg wax is the same as tesco's. So you get a privete setting, a cuppa, gentle music, or not, your choice, a personal service with the best product lines on the market and prices that are pretty much the same as Tesco's. I like to be relaxed when I work and I want my clients to feel they have had some 'me' time and leave with a smile on their faces knowing they look and feel good about themselves.
Tesco ARE welcome to the type of client they will be getting, my clients want to feel special not budget branded.

I agree it's convenient for some people... But personally? Getting an eyebrow wax or a facial and then having to walk through a busy supermarket with bright red eyebrows or no make up on brings me out in a cold sweat lol. No thanks!!

Xx

Latest posts

Back