The Edge - Clear Gel ??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsH

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Can anyone help me pls, I currently do Acrylic Nails, although I am a Newbie its going really well.....so I booked onto a Gel Course for next month thinking I would be offering my customers more choice.

Obviously the more practice you have, the better, so I thought who best to have a practice on but ME. From my local wholesalers, I purchased "The Edge" Clear Gel... I was really quite impressed how easy I found it, and the lady at the wholesalers talked me into this by saying Gel was "kinder" to nails, "more hard wearing" and looked "more natural".

I cured it for 3 minutes each coat (as it says on the tub) and was really impressed with the finished look. However, I do not feel that these will last very long as they feel quite...how shall I say.....rubbery!! almost as though I could pick them off. (I put on 3 layers of the build up Gel)

While I would love to offer lots of services to customers, I'm wondering if I am doing the wrong thing by expanding into Gel as I feel that I am really not satisfied with the quality of the job done, especially when compared to how hard wearing Arcylic is. I really feel that the Gel is not strong enough to hold the tips on for very long !!!!

Has anyone else expanded into Gel and either regretted it or really pleased they did so. I am at the point of wondering whether to cancel the course I am booked on and stick with Acrylic. Also has anyone else had the experience of different UV Gels....and if so how does The Edge compare to others.

Many thanks in advance:rolleyes:

The gel should not feel rubbery when applied correctly, and you certainly should not be able to peel it off. I would still go on the course if I were you. It's not just a case of painting on the gel, you have to build it up. By doing the course you will be taught the proper way to apply. In my experience gel if becoming far more popular nowadays so it's worth doing. Good luck with it xx

I've never looked back since offering gel enhancements. As for The Edge gel, I did try it way back at the beginning, but soon changed to Young Nails Synergy Gel which I love. I would class the edge as a budget gel. IMO XX

Thank you for the replies.

I think I will go on the course as I hate to be beaten.

It's difficult when you want to know it all TODAY...lol

I know its probably a daft question, but being a Gel Novice....
A few years ago, I went to a "chinese" salon close to home, and seeing Gel on their price listings, I opted to have Gel.........but they used a powder.....which at the time was completely normal to me.....but now I do nails myself....I do kind of wonder what I got that day.....as obviously Gel is Gel and not powder. Anyone any ideas???

It might feel slightly rubbery as soak off gels can do. They are more designed to be used as an overlay, rather than supporting tips.

You will be far better to take the course before playing with the product as it'll give you a false impression as you may be applying it incorrectly.
What you had applied that day in the salon was acrylic.
NSS salons often hoodwink uneducated clients into paying more for gel, only to have acrylic applied and a gel topcoat.
Sent from my LT15i using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back