The Edge - too runny?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laura1971

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if this would be ok. I have been doing gel nails with The Edge products. But what i am finding is, as it is self-leveling,the gel is a bit runny, which is fine if you just want a smooth finish. No matter how much i apply, i do not get that nice bump that you would get when you do acrylic nails. My nails are pretty flat and could do with that nce curve on top.Now, i know acrylic & gel are completely different but should gel nails be flat or should there be a bump?
So, can i apply another builder gel then put my edge gel ontop to finish ? I know you have to use the same acrylic powders & liquids, but does that apply to gels? I don`t really want to spend on buying somemore gels as i have not had these long. The Edge products are not cheap and they give a really gorgeous finish, it is just the fact that you don`t seem to get the nice bumpy curve on the nail. The edge don`t seem to make any details or dvds available to help people with the aplication, unlike NSI because they do.
So does anyone think that you could mix gels or do you have to stick to the same ones. Laura.:green:

Did you train with The Edge gels? To get the best of any system, you should get training with that system. Do they not have a builder gel as part of The Edge system?

I have not used The Edge gels so can't advise but perhaps other gel experts will be able to help you more.

No i didn`t. Out of the 14 weeks training, we had 10 minutes of being shown how to do gel & 10 minutes on how to do silk nails, and it was with whatever product that was was lying in the drawers of the college.
But thanks for replying. This gel i have is meant to be a builder gel, but i dont see it. Thanks again,
Laura.x.

you should still be able to get an apex in the nail rather tahn them being flat as the apex is what strengthens the nail. i have not ever used the edge gel so i cannot help on that one! xx

I have been looking at my nails and they seem to be pretty flat. Maybe i will have to use a different gel for flatter nails.Thanks girls for your advice. Any amount always comes in helpful. :eek:
Laura.x.

No i didn`t. Out of the 14 weeks training, we had 10 minutes of being shown how to do gel & 10 minutes on how to do silk nails, and it was with whatever product that was was lying in the drawers of the college.
But thanks for replying. This gel i have is meant to be a builder gel, but i dont see it. Thanks again,
Laura.x.
IMO you need to get yourself booked in for some training in how to use your gel.

I have been looking at my nails and they seem to be pretty flat. Maybe i will have to use a different gel for flatter nails.Thanks girls for your advice. Any amount always comes in helpful. :eek:
Laura.x.
I use Brisa gel, it too is self-levelling but it's a thicker consistency and never runs.
You should be able to layer your gel to create a good apex, it isn't a case of using a gel for flatter nails, more a case of knowing how to achieve the look you desire for the nails with the products you've got.
I don't mean to sound quite so blunt but it was the only way I could think of to explain it :wink2:

you can build in layers ... so fewer layers in zone 1 and 3 and more layers to create and apex (the bump) in zone 2. also holding your hand upside down for a few seconds prior to curing can help to create a apex....and work on 1 nail at a time.

I personally prefer a sculpting/building gel that doesn't self level as i like to put it where i want it and it stay there...that way i can work on all 5 fingers before curing.

Thanks everyone. Will try these tips.
Laura.x.

Latest posts

Back