The Future’s Bright…

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Guild

Reaction score
Just thought I'd update you on some recent findings by the Guild.

Therapists in the UK are experiencing a fantastic boom, as both treatment prices and wage rates continue to rise.

A recent industry survey by the Guild of Professional Beauty Therapists shows that wage rates for salon employees have risen by more than the rate of inflation. The pay for an average therapist has increased by 5% to £6.58 per hour, whilst senior therapists have experienced a rise of 13% to an hourly rate of £8.20.

Treatment prices have also taken an upturn, with an overall increase of 8%., with the only decrease being seen in the price of sunbed sessions. The availability of treatments has remained fairly stable, with the only notable exception being Laser and IPL hair removal, which has fallen from 13% to just 4%. This is probably due to the increased legislation by the Healthcare Commission on such treatments.

Launched in 1994, The Guild of Professional Beauty Therapists has over 6,000 members who are all fully qualified beauty and holistic therapists. The Guild ran the very first professional beauty industry survey back in 1995, and has continued to monitor the state of the market ever since.

These increases may be due to the fact that up to 40% of women in the UK are now visiting salons. The value of the UK market has grown by 11% in the last 12 months, making it now worth over £1 billion. There are around 30,000 salons currently trading in this country, with services such as waxing, facials and massage proving to be the most requested treatments.

For more information on the Guild's Survey Results, why not read Guild Gazette online? Just click here and turn to page 34.

Well that should make everyone smile ... and of course our job always comes out as being the best job in the world and I feel totally blessed to do what I do. Long may it continue.

Thanks for posting the results...we know the industry is growing and hopefully wages for qualified therapists are increasing

Its nice to see things getting better and hopefully wages will start to reflect the fact that we are professionals and deserve a wage to show that.

Hi

Lets just hope our clients will be happy to pay the higher prices that will need to be charged to accomadate these rises.

I was very surprised that on the survey of treatment prices nail extensions are only £31.97 ?? hmm dismayed even!!

Hi

Lets just hope our clients will be happy to pay the higher prices that will need to be charged to accomadate these rises.

I was very surprised that on the survey of treatment prices nail extensions are only £31.97 ?? hmm dismayed even!!

maybe thats an 'across the board' price...ie new sets & infills/rebalance etc lumped in the ONE catagory?

I'm really happy about this. About time too.
I've always loved this job - its gives me a good feeling to makes others feel better. Big softy me!! :hug:

Hi

I have to say, the extensions around my area (Norfolk) don't even reach that amount, from the research I've been doing into how much I should charge. Guess it depends greatly on the area as well!

Love you and your positive outlook about everything. You are an angel . With all best wishes.xx
Well that should make everyone smile ... and of course our job always comes out as being the best job in the world and I feel totally blessed to do what I do. Long may it continue.

Was talking to someone on my course last week, who said that round her £15 was the norm for a full set of acrylic extensions..... I charge that for a standard manicure!

I used to practice as a chiropodist for many years. Life changed and I dropped out of the game. Since then I have been asked by some older people to trim their nials. No way do I want to spend a fortune retraining just for trims and I'm not really interested in painting nails and the beuaty angle. How can I get insured without having to resort to expensive courses just to trim a few nails? I used to treat many foot conditions and nails are so easy to me but I want to be insured properly?

:confused:

I used to practice as a chiropodist for many years. Life changed and I dropped out of the game. Since then I have been asked by some older people to trim their nails. No way do I want to spend a fortune retraining just for trims and I'm not really interested in painting nails and the beauty angle. How can I get insured without having to resort to expensive courses just to trim a few nails? I used to treat many foot conditions and nails are so easy to me but I want to be insured properly?

:confused:

Can you not work as a mobile Chiropodist and use the same insurance you always have done ?

If not, it might be worthwhile giving Professional Beauty a call and see if they would insure you on your Chiropody qualifications.

Marlise

Can you not work as a mobile Chiropodist and use the same insurance you always have done ?

If not, it might be worthwhile giving Professional Beauty a call and see if they would insure you on your Chiropody qualifications.

Marlise

Thank for the advice

Dear All,
I am posting just to clear up some misunderstandings about practicising Chiropody/Podiatry.
The law has now changed in this area and in order to legally practice as a Chiropodist/Podiatrist one must complete a 3-year degree course at a University approved by the Health Professions Council. The Health Professions Council is the government regulator and can prosecute those trading as "Chiropodists" or offering "chiropody services" etc. if they are not registered with them.
I could give you links for more information but I am not sure if they would be construed as advertsing! If anyone wants to know more they can send me a PM.
regards
Footwoman.

Latest posts

Back