The Geek Chilli con carne cook off!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izzidoll

Strictly Scottish Geek!
Premium Geek
Reaction score
I love chilli con carne ....I love to cook it and I love to eat it........!!

It has taken me years of perfecting to get my chilli con carne just right for my tastebuds. Yet....I still always wonder if it can be better. I think the chipotle chillies make this recipe, they give a lovely smokey flavour.

So here is mine....and I would love to hear from all you geeks all over the world re what you think and how you cook your chilli......and maybe between us all we will create the best chilli recipe ever!!!
Any Texans out there or Mexicans for some real authentic recipes...that would be great!!!
(recipe for perfect Margaritas to follow:lol:)

500 grams of minced (ground) beef
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 large onion chopped
1 or 2 red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried Chipotle chillies
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried coriander leaf (optional)
juice of half a lime
1/2 pint beef stock (275 mils)
500g can of chopped tomatoes
tablespoon of tomato puree (paste)
500g can of red kidney beans.

First in a large heavy based pan brown off the beef
add chopped onions and crushed garlic and fry until soft
add chopped chilli, chipotle chillies paprika and coriander....fry for a few more minutes......should have that lovely smokey chilli smell around about now....mmm
Add beef stock, chopped tomatoes, lime juice, and tomato puree.
Stir and bring to the boil,
add kidney beans.....and then reduce heat and simmer until you are good and ready.
After an hour I use a potato masher to mash about half the kidney beans and thicken up the sauce.
Then simmer for about another 30 minutes...or until you have had a couple of Margaritas!

If you want a finer sauce you can put onions, garlic, tinned tomatoes, chilli pepper and coriander into a blender before adding...but I prefer the more rustic look.

Serve with rice, refried beans and salad and some tortillas....don't forget some soured cream and a jalapeno pepper for garnish!!

So geeks, how do you make yours?

Hotter!!!...........let's see....:eek:

Who shall win the great geek chilli cook off!!!

Sounds lovely! A Thai guy I know gets my chillies for me, so I don't know what they're called but they are very cheeky!

I also add a good glug of red wine and a few squares of 80% cocoa solid chocolate. Makes it lovely and rich.

Yep my mum learned the chocolate trick from a Tex Mex. My chilli's are pretty boring - but I make a mean spag bol thanks to Gigi's recipe, takes about 5 hours to cook though, but it is THE BEST!

I have sooo much to learn...

i buy a chilli con carne packet thing..its a powder....i add it to my mince, 2 tins of chopped tomatoes, 1 chopped onion and 1 tin of kidney beans.

I am going shopping on saturady so will make a note of your ingredients and give it a go.

Also...i buy the Scottish mince from tesco....and its nice but every now and then i get a gristle bit and it puts me off my whole meal...when i mentioned this once to a ex chef he said that its all about how its cooked....something about the pan needs to be very hot first...and something else's about adding water and simmering...then drain before adding other bits....he said this way all the nasty bits get so hot they pop and no more gristle...anyone else know anything about this..?

I fry off the onions first, so the pan is really hot when I add the mince. I've never had any gristley bits. HTH

I have tried the red wine...not so keen Iprefer it in my glass whilst cooking lol:lol:

I will certainly give the chocolate a go........intriguing.

Actually I always fry the onions garlic & dry fry the spices first then add the meat :o

Yep my mum learned the chocolate trick from a Tex Mex. My chilli's are pretty boring - but I make a mean spag bol thanks to Gigi's recipe, takes about 5 hours to cook though, but it is THE BEST!

A spag bol recipe that takes 5 hours !!! :eek: :eek:

Tell us more.....

Marlise

Forgot to mention, my partner makes REALLY nice Chilli Con Carne and his secret incredient is "Liquid Smoke".

It's a bit difficult to get hold off, but when he sees it in the shops, he'll buy all the bottles on the shelf !

Marlise

Forgot to say, I chuck a bit of piri-piri sauce in if I've got some for an extra kick.

ohhhh nice one Izzi!

I used to use the kidney beans in Chilli sauce from tesco and found that had all ther perfect flavours in it but they don't do that over here so have just been making mine with chilli powder and it seems to be lacking - especially in the heat department!

So I will give your recipie a go!

i bet all you know this anyway but for perfect fluffy rice...

basmati rice...cook as normal..then transfer the rice to a sieve and wash under cold running water to remove the starch.

Place in a microwave dish with a lid and microwave on full power for 2 minutes.

Beautiful fluffy rice.

i bet all you know this anyway but for perfect fluffy rice...

basmati rice...cook as normal..then transfer the rice to a sieve and wash under cold running water to remove the starch.

Place in a microwave dish with a lid and microwave on full power for 2 minutes.

Beautiful fluffy rice.

I have a rice cooker which i bought 18 years ago from a little chinese shop in china town in London and it's done me proud - perfect rice EVERY time, and it keeps it warm for up 5 hrs!!!!

I use Cumin powder & caraway seeds in my chilli with dried chilli flakes & chilli powder, beef, onions, stock, tinned toms, red kidney beans, tom puree and teaspoon of sugar. I let it cook for ages!

A spag bol recipe that takes 5 hours !!! :eek: :eek:

Tell us more.....

Marlise

Without hijacking a chili thread and going into too much detail, when you have browned off the mince, onions and other bits you use add milk - the amount varies on how much meat you have, but about 10 floz. Simmer very gently and stir occasionally until the liquid has evaporated, this can take about half an hour. Then do the same with the same volume of white wine. Then add the tomatoes and leave to simmer on a very low heat for about 3-5 hours, the longer the better.

The milk tenderises and takes out the bitter taste of the meat and I can't eat any other spag bol now! Oh it's heaven!

For a vegetarian option you can always replace the mince with a generous handful of brussel sprouts.

For a vegetarian option you can always replace the mince with a generous handful of brussel sprouts.

Ooooh, you minx - getting a sprout reference in where you can.....:lol::lol::lol:

Hey...you lot...this is a chilli thread!! NO SPROUTS!

Any American geeks out there with a red hot recipe?

Oh and that Margarita recipe...

1 1/2 oz Tequila
1/2 oz Triple Sec ot Cointrau
1/2 oz lemon or lime juice.......I much prefer lime!!!

blend together with a load of ice if you want it to be like a slush puppy!!!

rub your glass rim with some lime juice and then salt....then chill in the freezer until required!!!
This is my Friday night ritual!!!!

I just throw all mine in the pot.......fry off onions first, add the mince and brown, season, bung in the tomatoes and keep seasoning until it tastes right. We have various bottles of chillies from South American to Jamaican (and many others that just look like they need a try) and I just add them until as I said it tastes right, I've never used fresh, too dangerous lol!. The beans go in close to the end.

Craig said that they add chocolate to chilli in Mexico and my mum is right into chilli chocolate.

I'm a firm believer in the longer you cook it for the better is tastes as all the water evaporates and the flavours come to the fore, so 5 hours sounds good to me, whether it's a chilli, spag bol or a stew.

I love your idea of giving it a bit of a mash Izzi, I'll have to try that one.

What about the guacamole OMG home made is so beautiful. (I hated the stuff till we made our own)

You need

A ripe avacado or 2
A clove of garlic - minced
chopped red onion
1/2 tsp Cumin powder
chopped tomato
a few chopped red chilli (we love the discovery red chillis as they are in a vinegar and really sweet)
olive oil. quantity up to you but about a tbs
A good handful of fresh coriander

Basically mash up the avacado in a bowl with olive oil and cumn powder
Then add everything else mixing it up slowly.

Its gorgeous on fresh cibatta or the side of your chilli or fajita.

Instead of liquid smoke - smoked paprika is good to add to chilli.

I dont eat meat but use quorn mince and its still bloody lovely.

I love my chilli con carne... rich, thick and ever so moreish...

My secret ingredient??? A 1kg bar of cadbury's dairy milk...failing that a mars bar....:lol::lol::lol: Only jokinggggggg.....

I do like red wine in my chilli's.... makes it nice and rich...and leave it cooking over a low heat for ages...so it all infuses...then eat it the next day...always tastes better the next day for some reason...

Funny that Sassy mentions the milk in her spag bol...I put milk in all my tomato sauce based recipes...takes away bitterness and makes it creamier...

Sprout salad with chilli pepper flakes is nice too...

What about the guacamole OMG home made is so beautiful. (I hated the stuff till we made our own)

You need

A ripe avacado or 2
A clove of garlic - minced
chopped red onion
1/2 tsp Cumin powder
chopped tomato
a few chopped red chilli (we love the discovery red chillis as they are in a vinegar and really sweet)
olive oil. quantity up to you but about a tbs
A good handful of fresh coriander

Basically mash up the avacado in a bowl with olive oil and cumn powder
Then add everything else mixing it up slowly.

Its gorgeous on fresh cibatta or the side of your chilli or fajita.

Instead of liquid smoke - smoked paprika is good to add to chilli.

I dont eat meat but use quorn mince and its still bloody lovely.

Thanks for this guacamole recipe....I love it....but why does it have to be so fattening !! My recipe for it also adds some lime juice....but if you overdo it it really spoils it.
I will give yours a try next time.....

Latest posts

Back