The Gel Bottle Inc problem with gel wearing away on ends of nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cj27

Reaction score
Hi ladies been doing nails along time now I changed to the gel bottle inc recently and love it although I am finding that the free edge of nail even though capped is wearing off I do use the builder in a bottle then colours then extreme shine top or rubber top and with both I am having this same issue does anyone else have this issue thanks

What does your client say?

How many days post-application do you see the wearing away? I use TGB & haven’t had that problem unless its a while after the application and it’s down to wear & tear. Are you making sure you have a sticky inhibition layer or buffed surface (BIAB/Gelpot) before each coat? You may be using too much or too little product to cap the free edge. Curing for 60 seconds in the correct lamp? Xx

Thankyou for your reply I always buff before colour application and noticing this as soon as 5 days later it doesn’t chip away if just seems to wear away at the edges I do have the gel bottle lamp maybe I need to try not buffing the biab and just applying colour while tacky to see if this helps

Try etching the nail plate with a 180 grit file rather than buff. xx

Oh sorry I see you use BIAB - I don't wipe mine I go straight in with colour x

Try etching the nail plate with a 180 grit file rather than buff. xx
Goodness me! No, that's never necessary with any system these days. Causes so much damage

Goodness me! No, that's never necessary with any system these days. Causes so much damage

No it doesn't!
Buffing the shine off the nail plate doesn't give the polish or acrylic or gel system anything to adhere to.

I use a 180 too, you can still go quite gently with it and make the nail plate rough enough for gel to adhere x

Thankyou all I will try as for the 180 file it is ok because I always use the biab so it not the bare nail that I wud be etching anyways Thankyou again ladies

Thankyou all I will try as for the 180 file it is ok because I always use the biab so it not the bare nail that I wud be etching anyways Thankyou again ladies

You don't need to etch the biab. If you have cleansed after finish filing, I would suggest going in with the base coat. That way the gel polish has something to ahere to. See if that makes a difference.

No it doesn't!
Buffing the shine off the nail plate doesn't give the polish or acrylic or gel system anything to adhere to.

I don't know of any good quality system recommending "etching" the nail plate!
Products containing MMA are the only ones that would require etching to make them adhere and hopefully nobody here is using any of those!

I don't know of any good quality system recommending "etching" the nail plate!
Products containing MMA are the only ones that would require etching to make them adhere and hopefully nobody here is using any of those!

What a load of tosh. Why quote MMA in your reply? LOL!

What a load of tosh. Why quote MMA in your reply? LOL!

Not "tosh" at all! It is a known fact (or should be) that MMA doesn't bond well to the natural nail plate and back in the very early days of L&P nail enhancements, before the dangers of MMA were fully understood, etching of the Nail plate was done to make the products bond to the nail plate. Today's products should only need the oily Shine removed from the nail plate and certainly don't need to be "etched"!

Removing the top shine isn't enough for some. Problem lifters, pickers, biters & people with jobs that use their hands a lot need that extra surface etching to help the enhancement adhere to the nail plate better. I don't mean to etch the living daylights - just a going over with a 180 grit - which is fine for the natural nail. Buffing away the top shine simply isn't enough sometimes.

Removing the top shine isn't enough for some. Problem lifters, pickers, biters & people with jobs that use their hands a lot need that extra surface etching to help the enhancement adhere to the nail plate better. I don't mean to etch the living daylights - just a going over with a 180 grit - which is fine for the natural nail. Buffing away the top shine simply isn't enough sometimes.

Sorry, but a 180 grit file is too coarse for the natural nail plate.

It is safe to gently etch the natural nail however, I would never use a 180 grit file on natural nails.

Latest posts

Back