The Gel Bottle questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Embrace

Reaction score
I’ve just started using the gel bottle and I love the product. I’ve always used shellac.
I applied it to my own nails and 2 have peeled at the free edge top coat and 2nd colour coat leaving everything else in tact . I cured under UV lamp for 2 mins Any ideas.

Also
Can you layer it like shellac to get different colours?

Be greatful for any responses.

It may be the lamp that is the issue, if you're not using one that suits the product. Here is some information on the TGB lamp, which is UV/LED, not UV, and the wavelength is 365+405nm.

• Cures TGB gel perfectly in just 60 seconds
  • Optimised for professional use with TGB Products
  • 39 Carefully positioned LEDs
  • 3 Additional LEDS to ensure tips cure perfectly
  • UV/LED Combined Lights (wave length 365+405nm)

Thank you. I thought it could have been but all other nails are fine ‍♀️
Do you know if can be lsyered like shellac?

Are you using the TGB base and top coat?

Yes rubber base coat 2 colour coat and extreme shine top coat all TGB

I find TGB gel polish thicker than most the other brands I've used and it's not supposed to be applied as thin as Shellac either, so maybe your coats were too thin?
I really would recommend buying their lamp though. Before they introduced this lamp they just recommended you used a 48w lamp, which is what I already used for the other brand I use (INK) but it didn't cure TGB products as well as their own lamp and I wasn't happy about using the products fully until they introduced their lamp.

I'm Guessing you're using the CND UV lamp? Shellac is a very different product to TGB and it stands to reason they wouldn't cure the same. Other techs have no way of knowing whether their lamp has completely cured the gel polish as it can appear cured at 40-50% cured. Since buying TGB lamp I haven't had any problems with peeling, Lifting or chipping. It really does last very well :)

TGB lamp is a sunuv lamp I believe so you can just buy one of those a lot cheaper. UV should cure the product fine though but personally I don't like TGB it's too thick and I had problems with lifting and chipping. I've changed brands and getting 3+ weeks no problems

TGB lamp is a sunuv lamp I believe so you can just buy one of those a lot cheaper. UV should cure the product fine though but personally I don't like TGB it's too thick and I had problems with lifting and chipping. I've changed brands and getting 3+ weeks no problems

It is a SUNUV lamp, but they have had extra bulbs put in to ensure perfect curing, so not identical. It is more expensive than their generic lamps, but it's not ridiculously expensive and it's the only one that you can guarantee will cure so I think its worth paying a bit more.
It is possible your Lifting and chipping problems were due to not curing properly too. You're right, it is much thicker and takes a bit of getting used to but I haven't had any problems myself using their lamp.

It is a SUNUV lamp, but they have had extra bulbs put in to ensure perfect curing, so not identical. It is more expensive than their generic lamps, but it's not ridiculously expensive and it's the only one that you can guarantee will cure so I think its worth paying a bit more.
It is possible your Lifting and chipping problems were due to not curing properly too. You're right, it is much thicker and takes a bit of getting used to but I haven't had any problems myself using their lamp.
I used the lamp they recommended but I didn't like their customer service or the product anyway, but I've found one that works for me now.

Thanks for all your responses. I’ll look into getting their lamp. Just trying it on myself to see how it wears before going all out
I do love the consistency and pigment is fab. The extreme shine top coat is soooo shiny.

I’m guessing that it can’t be layered like shellac to get

As someone else has said you need thicker layers. I personally love TGB and I get a good few weeks wear out of them even on my own nails. It might be worth joining their Facebook group if you haven't already. They answer questions there directly not to mention it's full of TGB educators if you need advice.

T
Thanks for all your responses. I’ll look into getting their lamp. Just trying it on myself to see how it wears before going all out
I do love the consistency and pigment is fab. The extreme shine top coat is soooo shiny.

I’m guessing that it can’t be layered like shellac to get[/QUOTE

To be honest the only layering I've tried with TGB colours is with their glass collection, which are designed to go over other colours, and also some of the glitter polishes. I'm kind of thinking the normal colours might be too thick/pigmented to layer as they cover pretty well after just one coat.

I used the lamp they recommended but I didn't like their customer service or the product anyway, but I've found one that works for me now.

I have heard a few people had problems with customer service in the earlier days. I've only been using TGB for about 16 months and only had to contact their CS twice regarding credit notes, which was resolved quickly. I think they've ironed out a lot of their earlier teething problems, but they aren't going to be everyone's cup of tea. I was very sceptical before I eventually took the plunge and tried them out!

Can you use the rubber base and use it under any gel polish I am using cnd now and I have their lamp also so will it cure ok in this lamp

Can you use the rubber base and use it under any gel polish I am using cnd now and I have their lamp also so will it cure ok in this lamp

You should always use the same brand base and top coat as your gel polish, so if a client picks one of your Shellac colours, use their base and top, if they pick TGB colour, use TGB base and top. TGB have stated that other brand colours may change colour if applied over their bases. (I can confirm this as I did it by accident on my own nails and the other brand gel polish changed colour within a few days).

*. If you are planning on using TGB BIAB as an overlay and want to use Shellac on top, this is the advice I was given by TGB and have stuck to -

After applying and curing the BIAB, remove sticky inhibition layer, refine if necessary, then apply the base coat of the brand of gel polish you want to use before applying gel polish.

So I cure the BIAB in TGB lamp, then everything else in the other brands lamp, to ensure proper curing.

Also, as mentioned above, the CND lamp is design specifically for their products alone. I have read many posts here and on different forums/pages of nail techs having problems curing TGB with their CND lamps, yet you will also hear from others that "they have no problems" curing on the 2b setting. Personally, I wouldn't risk it

Has anyone had any problems with TGB lifting after wearing vinyl or latex gloves? Just the last cpl of days I’ve done various treatments where I’ve need to wear gloves and I’ve had 2 nails lift
Again I’m not sure if it’s my lamp and they weren’t cured properly to start with. ? ‍♀️

Has anyone had any problems with TGB lifting after wearing vinyl or latex gloves? Just the last cpl of days I’ve done various treatments where I’ve need to wear gloves and I’ve had 2 nails lift
Again I’m not sure if it’s my lamp and they weren’t cured properly to start with. ? ‍♀️

I wear nitrile gloves whilst doing nail treatments and haven't experienced any Lifting.

TGB have got 20% off until midnight 19th Feb, so go on, treat yourself to their lamp! ;)

Latest posts

Back