The gel nails I was worried about

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layrex9

Reaction score
Hi there,

I posted last week that I had a lady coming who normally goes all the way to Manchester to get her nails done. She goes to a place that uses Alessandro Gel and I use Brisa Gel. I rebalanced the nails over the Alessandro and I did have to remove a fair bit of it as there was some lifting (I don't think she had had them done for a good few weeks). She said everywhere else she had been around my area, all the nails had lifted or come off in a few days. When I rang a week later to check if OK she said it wasn't me and that I had done an excellent job, but she thought the product was "brittle" and they had chipped at the ends! I have not seen them and I don't know what to do at all. I only charged for a re-balance but I would add, it was not just a normal backfill (these were overlays as well) but they were not really in a great state. As far as I know they have adhered greatly and there has been no lifting. I am really, really upset. I have had a lot of fab reviews for my L&P people have genuinely said to me they are the best they have ever had (I am soooo flattered and grateful, I worked very hard) but what's with the gels - I just don't understand..it has made me feel awful, please help xxx

Last edited:
if it was chipping on the free edge but ok at the cuticle it could be normal war and tear if shes a roughian, or that your gel hadnt adhered well to the layer of gel left underneath. This is why i avoid going over other peoples work. I would have just buffed them off and started from scratch. you know where you stand then.

HTHs

x

could it be the fact that she had left the old product on too long without maintenance?

maybe the previous product was not really in a good enough condition to overlay.

do you have problems with gels in general, or is it just this one client ?

Hi There,

I dont do anything over other peoples work as you cant always be aware of previous products used.Like the other geeks i always start from scratch.
She also needs to make sure she is using her nail oil as i find the difference between sets with/without the use of oil can sometimes be suprising!
Im sure im not saying anything you dont know anyway!:D

Hi

If it's the gel chipped off, maybe it's because you used Brisa over Alessandro, I always remove, from the nails, another brand of gel, especially if it's been a long time between maintanance, prep nails thoroughly, and start again with Brisa. Make sure the ends have been capped if natural nail overlays as this can chip off too.
You really need to see this clients nails to judge why the problem has accured and to put right, I would call her, get her back in and fix problem, and if so, a 'free of charge' this time!

You really need to see this clients nails to judge why the problem has accured and to put right, I would call her, get her back in and fix problem, and if so, a 'free of charge' this time!

Yup get her in, fix them and then remind her that she has to look after your hard work! I have a client whose nail tech left, she keeps changing nail techs because she keeps having problems. I said to her, please stick with me and we will get them so they are right for you. I said it was like finding a new hairdresser, sometimes it takes them a while to get used to your hair and to get the cut just right and it's the same for nails. Sometimes it takes a tweak of the thickness, the length etc until we get to know how the client looks after them and whether they need extra reinforcement etc.

I would just add that you must cap the gel if you don't already.

Hi guys,

Thank you for that. I know I suppose I should have taken it all off really. But she said she didn't want it taking off completely as if I turned out to be not very good, she would have to drive back to Manchester and pay for a full set of Alessandro again. I could see her point and that is why I re-balanced them. I am so, so terribly fed up today as I had Mum in today and she is great, but my word does she suffer from lifting! I don't get lifting with anyone else generally, only Mum. They were L&P but the lifting was lingering below the apex so I had to do soooo much filing to get to it, it took an age, 2 and a half hours! She also wanted white tips sculpting this time, not the natural look she normally goes for. I felt awful because I didn't have time to give her her pedicure which she had booked in for as I had someone else booked in and Mum was half an hour late - it would have even been pushing it for the pedicure if she had been early but what a nightmare re-balance, I am feeling very despondant because it is so quiet as well. And I am meant to be getting divorced in two days and feeling a little crushed. I said to Mum that today I just don't feel like dealing with the public I feel so deflated, but with the new salon, I have to get through it. I closed half an hour early and came home!

is your mom on HRT hun? That can do wierd things to nails as far as i know...

you should go for some reiki or crystal therapy, it will really perk you up!!!

is your mom on HRT hun? That can do wierd things to nails as far as i know...

you should go for some reiki or crystal therapy, it will really perk you up!!!

Yes she is! I didn't know it could affect the nails! I know I should take some relaxing time out, I sure could do with some xx

Latest posts

Back