The good, the bad and the downright ugly! Customer service!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loubilicious

Reaction score
As the title suggests really, what makes good and not so good customer service.....are our expectations sometimes too high?

Do we speak as we'd like to be spoken to, or do we get cross with person on the other end of the phone, if we do speak to them in a "not so nice" manner, would we be the same if we were face to face?

If the customer service adviser really is that unhelpful how many of us get in touch with the company to make them aware of it?

Having worked a fair few years in a customer service environment I have been subjected to the good the bad and the ugly, both customers on the other end of my phone and sometimes cringeworthy colleagues! I've also been on the receiving end of some pretty naff customer service, so here's my perspective.

I sometimes see posts on here about unhelpful customer services from various companies, I always think posting it on here isn't going to ensure that person is either reprimanded or trained further.

To be fair they are human beings and everyone has a bad day/or just a bad call for whatever reason, be it illness, bereavement, other worries...who knows the person on the phone before you may have been horrible to them, their mother may be dieing, their child may be ill!

Yes, in an ideal world we shouldn't let it affect our work but we live in the real world! Customer services can be an arse, you are expected to solve everything instantly with a smile and a wave, whilst often taking quite unjustified crap from customers who expect the world on a plate. Could it be that sometimes, just sometimes, a less than helpful response is borne from the customer being downright rude to the adviser??

On the other side of the coin when we get a really lovely, helpful member of staff who really does "smile down the telephone" how do we respond, do we say an extra special thank you at the end of the call, do we contact the company to say how impressed we were? Do we come on here and tell everyone LOL?

Would love to hear others thoughts and experiences....let's keep it constructive and please let's keep individual company names out of this!

Lou x

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

I came across what I consider to be bad customer service only yesterday!!!
On Friday I was trying to buy some shoes (3 pairs) for my daughter from an internet site, came to the payment and the site wanted a 'start from' date on my card... my card doesn't have a 'start from' date and it said on the site that if that's the case to ignore that and move to the next part... did that and the payment wouldn't go through, tried again twice more and still no order :(
Sent a contact us message with my mobile number asking them to ring me as soon as poss so I could complete the order. Didn't hear anything on Monday, rang them yesterday morning to be told that someone was going through the emails and would get back in touch with me before the day's out... half an hour from their closing time and still nothing... rang again, this time I was told that it's being looked into and someone would be calling me at some point.
Now, it's Wednesday, their offices have been open for 3 hours and still no bloomin' call.
I'm beginning to wonder whether they actually want my business or whether I should go elsewhere :grr:

Earlier on this morning I had great customer service from a nail product supplier, very fast response to an email.
What a difference!!!

Hi have to say I am always nice to anyone I speak to the telephone & have also called companies to let them know if I have had a very nice/helpful person on the phone, but I also regularly deal with a company who employs what can only be described as a bad tempered troll, my way round this is to see who answers their phone & if it's her I hang up & call again & get another salesperson, I don't like nastiness & as the op says they are people too, like us they may be having a bad day (but not every day!) but a friendly voice on the phone generally gets the conversation off to the right start especially if you want something :)

If I'm unhappy with the customer service I am receiving I ask for the person's name and then ask for the manager and if I'm still unhappy I write or email the company.

If I receive good customer service (which is sadly rare these days) I thank that person and ask for their name, ask for the manager and tell them how good the shop assistant has been and then I email the company about the individual.

Customer service, or lack of it to be more precise, sends me insane!

I have built my business on excellent customer service and a commitment to my clients and the treatments I provide.

Jacqui xx

For me, its simple: Customer Service is about providing easy solutions. To accomplish that, the Adviser needs to be empowered to do what it takes to champion the customers needs.

Surprise, delight and exceed expectations.

When they can't, the solution needs to get someone involved who can.

We all have bad days (though for a CS team member, that shouldn't ever be an excuse) and from time to time come across those that can't be delighted no matter the effort. There are also some who have expectations that are simply unrealistic. Fortunately they are the minority and our team is pretty awesome at managing those calls.

Anyone can pick up a phone, but only the best can pick up ours :D

PS - I can't recommend this book enough: http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Minute-...0699/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314212411&sr=8-1

Generally keep a stock in my office for new staff and others that pop by :)

Last edited:
My day job is retail management and excellent customer service skills is the most important quality when I am interviewing. I get really narked when people really can't be bothered to help you (when they work in the service industry).

Recently as a customer I had two young females working on adjoining tills, whilst they were serving people they did hardly looked at (or engaged with) the customers that they were serving, they spoke about what time they were meeting that night, what they were going to wear etc etc etc... there was no thank you... nothing!

Suprise, delight and exceed expectations... I shall use that :)

As a travel agent and have to deal with customer service everyday, I don't think there is any excuse not to be polite and provide the customer with good service. Although there is some people who just want a moan and no matter what you do will not be pleased with the service they receive maybe not just from me but from the full company. It is sometimes harder to please people these days because theres that much available etc... but I've always been brought up to respect people and be polite so i've taken this over naturally to my job... unfortunately not everyone is like this and you can get some cringeworthy people speaking to customers and I'm sitting there like ughhhh :o:o!

xx

I'm always surprised to find that the very least qualifed for customer service seem to be the very ones working in the field. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to slap a b**ch when she basically told me she couldn't be bothered or it wasn't her problem.

I so agree with easy solutions...as a customer all i want is a realistic solution to my query.

I dont want to be passed from pillar to post, I dont want to have to explain myself more than once, I dont want a promised call back to not happen and i dont want to hear "the computer says no"

I also think that some people abuse the old saying "the customer is always right"...i certainly dont follow that rule with my clients, i am paid to do your nails not put up with rudeness and some people do act in a disgusting manner knowing that the staff member/customer service person etc cant have a go back...and thats vile.

After my earlier post I took my business elsewhere as I still hadn't heard back... their loss!

It makes me wonder how many people do the same thing?

You just can't beat great customer service :D

I am a very calm laid back person, you could run over me on a steam roller and I would probably not lose my temper....but ...........

I went into a hairdressers when I was on holiday in Wales (my old home town) and stood at reception whilst this woman was on the phone, she didn't look up and acknowledge me, she carried on her conversation, asked the client if she had had a nice holiday, carried on with small talk, her doing all the talking NOT the person on the other end of the phone, again no eye contact, no wry smile or shrug, no acknowledgement.

I am slowly starting to come to the boil......

By now customers and hairdressers are watching this through the mirrors, I notice the boss craning his neck to see what was happening....

still this ignorant, uneducated person carries on asking inane questions, and still no eye contact....

so me being me, turned round, flung the door open wide and walked out, leaving the door wide open.

What I really really wanted to do was lean over the reception desk, press the buttons down on the phone, wait for her to have eye contact, and then tell her how rude and unprofessional she was.....

and then last time I was on holiday I took my sister and my neice to the pictures to see Bridesmaids. I joined the queue and their was 2 tills open. when it came to my turn I walked up and as I reached the counter another member of staff walked over and started talking to the person serving. This conversation went on for a good few minutes with no eye contact, no acknowledgment.
I turned round to my sister and neice and complained how rude this person was being, still not a flicker.
The other member of staff actually said, I think you had better serve..... and only then she did drag her eyes away and look at me. I was fuming.

I wanted to complain but my neice begged me not to.

doesn't do my blood pressure any good.

I too really hate that, even if someone is genuinely busy, it's no real problem for them to smile and say they'll be with u in a minute!

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Like missamy I'm also a travel agent (until I manage world domination :)). Where I am we have a lot of customers around the same age as my mum and dad so I treat them with the respect the same way is I hope my parents would be treated.
I also make sure that if I've got s gripe it's done with a smile. Twice last week I had to call different companies to see why I hadn't received something and both went out their way to help, because I had been so nice.
Isn't there some saying about you catch more flies with sugar? Honey? I don't know sounds gross but I think you know what I mean :)
Vicki xx

I am a very calm laid back person, you could run over me on a steam roller and I would probably not lose my temper....but ...........

I went into a hairdressers when I was on holiday in Wales (my old home town) and stood at reception whilst this woman was on the phone, she didn't look up and acknowledge me, she carried on her conversation, asked the client if she had had a nice holiday, carried on with small talk, her doing all the talking NOT the person on the other end of the phone, again no eye contact, no wry smile or shrug, no acknowledgement.

I am slowly starting to come to the boil......

By now customers and hairdressers are watching this through the mirrors, I notice the boss craning his neck to see what was happening....

still this ignorant, uneducated person carries on asking inane questions, and still no eye contact....

so me being me, turned round, flung the door open wide and walked out, leaving the door wide open.

What I really really wanted to do was lean over the reception desk, press the buttons down on the phone, wait for her to have eye contact, and then tell her how rude and unprofessional she was.....

and then last time I was on holiday I took my sister and my neice to the pictures to see Bridesmaids. I joined the queue and their was 2 tills open. when it came to my turn I walked up and as I reached the counter another member of staff walked over and started talking to the person serving. This conversation went on for a good few minutes with no eye contact, no acknowledgment.
I turned round to my sister and neice and complained how rude this person was being, still not a flicker.
The other member of staff actually said, I think you had better serve..... and only then she did drag her eyes away and look at me. I was fuming.

I wanted to complain but my neice begged me not to.

doesn't do my blood pressure any good.
You wouldn't cope with living in Spain... that type of thing happens all of the time here... even down to the people who work in the supermarkets at the checkout!!!
It drives me insane, but there's not much to be done about it so I do the same as the rest of the Spanish and either wait patiently or join in with the conversation! LOL

I was a bus driver for a few years, I always smiled and said hello, always said thank you as people got of, always drove in a steady manner and used my brakes gently and got a real lift to my day when ever I was called into the managers office because someone had written or phoned to say how nice I was.
It cost me nothing to be pleasant, to take the time to explain, to help with push chairs, babies and shopping.
It's actually part of a bus drivers training, they are supposed to help when needed. Most of them don't bother, then sit up in the crew room moaning about what a miserable bunch of passengers they've had that shift.
These were normally the same passengers who knew me by name, who would tell me they had stood back from the last bus driver and waited for me because my driving was better.
Now I'm the customer and I always smile at the shop assistant, say hello, thank them when I leave. Most of the time, it puts a smile on their face.
I was asked by a supermarket manager how I found his staff. I told him they were lovely, so helpful and ready to smile and have a joke with me.
He actually looked shocked.
I will always tell management when I get good customer service and on those rare occasions when I get bad I'll tell management about that too.
If they don't know, they can't do anything about it.

Latest posts

Back