The grey/silver thread

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassies97

Reaction score
Ok so I've made an allocated thread for grey hair.

This is for sharing formulas and discussing grey problems or sharing you grey case studies.

I'm getting sick of the amount of grey threads we've had this week and considering people can't seem to use the search function i think this may be the best option.

CALM DOWN CALM DOWN!

Well as seen as you've made this thread i've got a couple of questions to ask, as you know i'm hopeless when it comes to colour.

My mates nan has got about a Level 6-7natural with around 70% white hair, I haven't actually spoke to her nan over this yet my mate has just asked me in passing convo. Basically her nan said she wants the her whole head grey, i've told my mate grey hair is a combo of white and natural hair (salt and pepper effect) so i'm thinking along the lines of she wants the remaining natural hair to be grey and she wants the white hair to also be grey.

Have you got any ideas on how to do this?

Also, what would you use from the Wella range on a level 10 blonde to achieve the granny grey colour? The way Guy Tang always does the roots darker for a shadowy effect, do you do that?

Another essay sorry.

With my mates nan I was thinking of somehow getting the natural hair as light as possible then just applying a toner all over to make it grey, but the bleach would also go on the white hair. Is that okay?

Or a high lift ashy tint with some special mix? I really dont know. But her natural is prob light enough to be lifted light enough with a high lift tint.

Scientifically in the hair colour world, what tones is grey made up of?

I probably sound so uneducated, but I'd find it easier to formulate if I did know

@AllanJudge if she's looking to grow old gracefully by going grey all over she'll still have a funny root when it grows through.

But for granny grey i'd use 7/89 in Colour Touch level 10's aren't dense enough for grey i feel, unless you added mixtone.

Yeah do a scalp bleach and tone, the white hair will be fine cause it still contains keratin which will oxidise when you're lightening and give you a pale yellow result! Highlight wouldn't be substantial unless she was a level 8 probably!

@Starboltz wella's /1 tone is a mixture of blue and green. But get yourself some paint, red yellow and blue, mix them all together and see what you get, you'll either get brown or grey depending on ratio.

@AllanJudge if she's looking to grow old gracefully by going grey all over she'll still have a funny root when it grows through.

But for granny grey i'd use 7/89 in Colour Touch level 10's aren't dense enough for grey i feel, unless you added mixtone.

Yeah do a scalp bleach and tone, the white hair will be fine cause it still contains keratin which will oxidise when you're lightening and give you a pale yellow result! Highlight wouldn't be substantial unless she was a level 8 probably!

@Starboltz wella's /1 tone is a mixture of blue and green. But get yourself some paint, red yellow and blue, mix them all together and see what you get, you'll either get brown or grey depending on ratio.

So bleach to a pale yellow then do 7/89 colour touch?

Yep, make sure its super clean

Aw thank you.

Thank you, cams :)

I use igora, and just wanted to know main principals for grey

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1435064487.434432.jpg

Hiya! Any ideas for a toner for this? I'm stuck ! X

Is 6/16 illumina? Not seen that shade ill have a look thankyou ! X

Love love love 7/89 one of my favouroe toners almost love it as much as 8/81!

Last edited:
Yes illumina. But total forgot 7/89
Like can says too x

I think 7/81 or 6/16 would be a better option for that pic though rather than 7/89!

Thankyou! Yes I love 7/89 but no its not dark enough is it. I'll try 6/16 thanks x

Latest posts

Back