The ideal set up for performing UV gel polish treatments on toes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leescah

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm after some advice please - my current set up is that I use a beauty couch for both manicures and pedicures (UV gel) - using it fully flat as a table for manicures, and then raising the head end and having the client sit on top of the couch for painting their toes.

My issue has always been that I find doing toes fairly awkward this way, between the angle of painting (especially for shorter clients whose feet are further to reach), the positioning of the UV lamp getting in my way a bit and the fact that my salon room is only small so navigating around the base of the couch is a squeeze at best of times as well.

So I've been toying with the idea of replacing the couch setup (which was only ever supposed to be temporary whilst I started up) for a proper nail desk and nice plush swivel chair which can double up as the chair they also sit in for toe painting - I'd also get one of those padded foot rest things. Lamp on the floor, alternating sides the way I do anyway (I only have 1 lamp).

What do you guys think? Does anyone else have any experience perhaps with both setups and has a preference? I've not tried painting toes any other way (am fairly new to the industry) so no frame of reference really! So would appreciate any advice! THANK YOUUU! :) x

I
Hi all!

I'm after some advice please - my current set up is that I use a beauty couch for both manicures and pedicures (UV gel) - using it fully flat as a table for manicures, and then raising the head end and having the client sit on top of the couch for painting their toes.

My issue has always been that I find doing toes fairly awkward this way, between the angle of painting (especially for shorter clients whose feet are further to reach), the positioning of the UV lamp getting in my way a bit and the fact that my salon room is only small so navigating around the base of the couch is a squeeze at best of times as well.

So I've been toying with the idea of replacing the couch setup (which was only ever supposed to be temporary whilst I started up) for a proper nail desk and nice plush swivel chair which can double up as the chair they also sit in for toe painting - I'd also get one of those padded foot rest things. Lamp on the floor, alternating sides the way I do anyway (I only have 1 lamp).

What do you guys think? Does anyone else have any experience perhaps with both setups and has a preference? I've not tried painting toes any other way (am fairly new to the industry) so no frame of reference really! So would appreciate any advice! THANK YOUUU! :) x
whej

When I'm working from my home salon I use my beauty bed. When out and about mobile I have the clients sit in a chair and I sit on a foldable stool with their foot on my knee. It's not the most comfortable on my back but I can't think of any alternatives x

Thank you! Yeah that's my other concern - strain on my back/neck! My neck is already hurting most of the time (although oddly not when I'm performing treatments, I only notice it afterwards!) but it's so hard to know whether a change of setup will actually help... or just make it worse!

I sit on a dining chair and lift their foot up onto my lap with bent knee with the lamp underneath on the floor so they can swap. It's not always the most comfortable for the client but you are on top of the toes. For ladies who find this uncomfortable like one elderly client I have I sit on the floor as I'm mobile. Would look unprofessional to sit on the salon floor xxx

Hi, I sit on a device called a pedicure stool with foot rest. As the name suggests it has a stool at one end for me to sit on and it has a little foot rest for the client to put their foot on whilst they sit comfortably in a chair. I have two lamps on the floor either side of their feet.
I got the pedicure stool device off ebay, I think I just typed in pedicure stool

We have a bed in my salon and whilst I've seen other girls using it for gel toes I never have. Personally the angle of the foot and the lamp just doesn't look comfortable to me so I only ever use the bed for pedicures when the feet are in the heated booties and if they're getting gel then obviously that's already been applied :)

When I do shellac toes I have the client in a seat and use a padded foot rest and have my seat as low as possible. This seems to be the most comfortable as long as I'm aware of my posture when leaning over. I've had to do a few clients kneeling on the ground (if a client has been unable to lift their leg onto the foot stool) and that is such a killer on my knees and back. HTH.

Thanks everyone! Think one of those pedi footstool things might be the way to go then! Now I just need to find a suitable desk and chair for the client... OH OK BYE MONEY :p

I have an ikea poang chair and footstool. The chair reclines slightly when you sit in it so it's easier for the client to lift their leg and I sit on the footstool. Footstool is lower at one side than the other so I sit on the lowest side.
It's also handy if my clients bring someone in with them
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1463999327.577732.jpg

Hi all!

Hi - I sit on a low stool and have clients sit in comfy chair both from IKEA - think it's a POANG - everyone's got one lol! feet on my lap to polish, lamp on floor in middle of feet to cure - works fine - ok on your back and client doesn't need to lift leg too high - if they can bend their knee to make foot flat it's easier too x

Thanks everyone! Think one of those pedi footstool things might be the way to go then! Now I just need to find a suitable desk and chair for the client... OH OK BYE MONEY :p

If you're looking for a reasonably priced space saving manicure desk have a look on Ebay as I got mine for about £36 a few months ago (brand new). It folds flat and comes with a carry case if you are mobile and it also has a padded hand rest and pull out drawer underneath. It looks like they're going for around £45 now - loads of people selling the same design so worth shopping about as some people are asking about £100! I was really impressed with the quality and it's really easy to put up and down if you need to.

Thanks everyone! Haha YES I actually have a POANG chair already!! :p

So having done a load more research and used the search facility on here a bit more than I'd care to admit to :p I'm now seriously leaning towards getting a kneeling stool/chair! Thinking I can sit on the lower end (the tilted seat will force me to sit up straight) with clients foot on the higher end for toe painting, and then I can also use it the other way around (as they're designed to use) for sitting at my desk doing nails (again forcing better posture).

If anyone else has done this, I'd appreciate hearing your views?

Anyone use a kneeling chair/stool for painting toes?

They use kneeling stools at the Cowshed for pedicures. Google cowshed pedicure. Looks like a really nice setup, I'm hoping to copy it once I've found a nice comfy armchair I can afford! [emoji4]

They use kneeling stools at the Cowshed for pedicures. Google cowshed pedicure. Looks like a really nice setup, I'm hoping to copy it once I've found a nice comfy armchair I can afford! [emoji4]
Oh yes so they do! Thank you, that's hugely helpful, if it's good enough for the Cowshed then it must be quite a nice way to work then! :-D

I have the leg rest but find this quite awkward to I find it easier for the client be higher up so the foot at the same height as it would be if doing manicure at a table x

I might be on your own on this one but I have clients sat up right on the bed then I sit on a stool at the end, I prep the toes then have them PUT their feet flat with knees bent while I paint then just swap the lamp from foot to foot when curing. :)

I might be on your own on this one but I have clients sat up right on the bed then I sit on a stool at the end, I prep the toes then have them PUT their feet flat with knees bent while I paint then just swap the lamp from foot to foot when curing. :)
Snap! That's precisely what I do. Toes are funny things, I sometimes have to wedge some rolled up tissue underneath them to make sure they're facing the right way for the lamp!

Same! Its mostly the pinky toe I get it with! Lol!x

Latest posts

Back