The latest from Doug Schoon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
Well worth a read if you are using or applying UV gels. And do feel free to comment.

From Doug Schoon

If someone tells you that a particular UV gel doesn't contain "acrylics", so they can't cause skin allergies, they are NOT giving you the correct information. All UV curing gels are based on acrylic ingredients and cure by acrylic chemistry- there are no exceptions. This is why all UV gels should be kept off the skin- there are NO exceptions.

There are no UV gels that are safe for prolonged and/or repeated skin contact, which is the primary cause of adverse skin reaction. There are no UV curing nail gels that don't reply on some member of the acrylic family to harden (polymerize), e.g. acrylates, methacrylates, urethane acrylate oligomers. There is NO UV gel that cures with any nail lamp.

All UV gels should be kept off the skin and not applied to the exposed nail bed. All UV gels can be used safely, if used properly. Part of proper use is to avoid skin contact and to wash skin if contact occurs with soap and water.
For more myths check out this past Education Update “Top Ten Myths Related to Artificial Nails”

Schoon Scientific - Doug Schoon, scientist and nail industry expert provides educational articles

Last edited:
Thanks for this, Gigi. Where it says "exposed nail bed" would this count for severe nail biters too, where the nail bed is exposed from biting at the jagged/peeling parts of the nail (such as the picture below)? Would you use L&P instead? I've had a couple of clients with nails like this and I've sculpted L&P on them as there was no room to fit a tip but could you use Hard Gel? It would still be touching that exposed part... Just to confirm, this isn't my picture. It's one I found on google trying to look for an example :)

Xxx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1372409013.693308.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1372409013.693308.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 246
Thanks for this, Gigi. Where it says "exposed nail bed" would this count for severe nail biters too, where the nail bed is exposed from biting at the jagged/peeling parts of the nail (such as the picture below)? Would you use L&P instead? I've had a couple of clients with nails like this and I've sculpted L&P on them as there was no room to fit a tip but could you use Hard Gel? It would still be touching that exposed part... Just to confirm, this isn't my picture. It's one I found on google trying to look for an example :)

Xxx

I would say that that is what Doug is saying.

If applying to a nail biter I would tip and so protect any exposed flesh or sculpt and protect the area with a form. I would not just build directly on top of that exposed and very thin tissue.

I would say that that is what Doug is saying.

If applying to a nail biter I would tip and so protect any exposed flesh or sculpt and protect the area with a form. I would not just build directly on top of that exposed and very thin tissue.

Thank you :)

Xxx

Very sensible reading. Going to print it out and give to questioning clients. Thank you! It drives me insane when they tell me their nails need to breathe. I always reply with "your nails don't have lungs, they don't need to breathe".

So what does Myth 6. say about Nail Harmony's Vitagel?

Thanks for posting this geeg, very interesting read! The first 2 myths I have screen shot & will post on my fb page as these two in particular I hear all the time!! As mentioned about myth 6..... I too wondered about vitagel??? x

I love this article! Printed it off a while ago and have it on my nail desk to show clients. Might have to put it on fb too,,what a good idea ;-) x

love it!! will print off for clients and also put on FB page! :)

Very interesting, TFS

Thanks for posting, Geeg :)

I adore these little snippets - it makes it so easy to digest all the information.

Thanks for posting, Geeg :)

I adore these little snippets - it makes it so easy to digest all the information.

Everyone really should go to his website and read at least one article a week. The information is invaluable, it is free, it is fact and it is from an unimpeachable source; which, if anyone is not sure of the meaning (because I have lately been criticised for using BIG words which apparently is interpreted as me belittling others and talking down to them .. sigh) it means this ...

Un - im- peach - able ... Not able to be doubted, questioned, or criticized; entirely trustworthy: as in "an unimpeachable witness". :D

I love this article - have heard the I'm going to give my nails a break so they can breathe so many times lol. I generally trot out the answer given here but clients look at me as if I'm mad. Think I'll print out these articles for them to read.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Read this article when Doug posted it on fb and just read Gigi's post on another thread abut shellac being free of acrylates. I'm no chemist, however, I'm guessing that although is not a uv 'gel', it's a uv polish and still contains polymers from the acrylic family, as it cures in a uv lamp??

Just confused and looking for clarification x

Read this article when Doug posted it on fb and just read Gigi's post on another thread abut shellac being free of acrylates. I'm no chemist, however, I'm guessing that although is not a uv 'gel', it's a uv polish and still contains polymers from the acrylic family, as it cures in a uv lamp??

Just confused and looking for clarification x

Shellac is free of the type of acrylates that are known to be a cause of allergy. There are different types of acrylates and some are more prone to causing allergy than others. Perhaps I should make that more clear in my post. If you would kindly send me a link to it by pm I will amend it so there is no confusion.

Shellac is free of the type of acrylates that are known to be a cause of allergy. There are different types of acrylates and some are more prone to causing allergy than others. Perhaps I should make that more clear in my post. If you would kindly send me a link to it by pm I will amend it so there is no confusion.

Nothing wrong with your post - I was confused when I read Doug's article on fb, only because he referred to all uv gels and shellac isn't a gel, it's a polish; but I thought I might just be being pedantic ;)

Will send link anyways and thanks :) x

Nothing wrong with your post - I was confused when I read Doug's article on fb, only because he referred to all uv gels and shellac isn't a gel, it's a polish; but I thought I might just be being pedantic ;)

Will send link anyways and thanks :) x

He really is talking about UV gels in general. We all know Shellac is not a true gel, but it still is wise to follow the same safety guidelines he gives even with Shellac. Shellac is hypoallergenic but it is still a reactive product and regular skin contact should be avoided as with all products that are meant to go on the nail plate. Shellac is not a true gel but it does employ the use of some gel technology as it is UV cured.

Glad I didn't confuse. X

He really is talking about UV gels in general. We all know Shellac is not a true gel, but it still is wise to follow the same safety guidelines he gives even with Shellac. Shellac is hypoallergenic but it is still a reactive product and regular skin contact should be avoided as with all products that are meant to go on the nail plate. Shellac is not a true gel but it does employ the use of some gel technology as it is UV cured.

Glad I didn't confuse. X

Thanks Gigi, love clarity x

Latest posts

Back