The male client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie H

Reaction score
I hope this is in the right place, I was reading my latest Scratch mag this morning and came across the artical on page 45, A man's world.
My hubby made the following comment.
Men do not smell or taste colour, it's green, not apple, yellow not lemon and yes orange is a fruit and a colour but it's not tangarine:eek:
This was in response to a piece that warned of being too chatty to a male client, that they like to be quiet when they chill out and don't want to hang around.
My own experience with male clients is about smell, men will normally comment on a womans perfume, calling it lush or sexy but when it comes to them selves they have two different requirements.
Work mode, aftershave tends to be crisp smelling and very suttle while the evening will be more about what the girlfriend/wife likes, is attracted to.
So a woman who was coming to me for a luxury mani or pedi, would find, soft fluffy towels, the air would smell of vanilla and magnolia, I'd have fresh flowers present. Back ground music would be relaxing.
But what would I do for a man? That feminine enviroment would either have him running a mile, or give him the wrong idea:eek:
So when designing a service menu with a man in mind what would you put in and what would you avoid?

Not just nails, any treatment please x

I serve up lots of men in a very feminine environment and they don't seem bothered...

They want you to put them at ease most of all I reckon.

I would try and make it more like a specific male treatment rather than a female treatment for men. For example instead of manicure or pedicure I would put hand or foot grooming.
I would use products with a neutral ,unperfumed scent and one's which leave a matt finish because most men hate the 'greasy' feeling of some products.
I would use the words face experience rather than facial, just to make it sound more masculine as men like to feel good and would tend to get massages etc. whilst with my experience find women tend to get more manicures and tans etc. to look better.

I find neautral and modern suits most men, rather than frills,flowers and perfume.

I serve up lots of men in a very feminine environment and they don't seem bothered...

They want you to put them at ease most of all I reckon.

So How do you put them at ease? You must be good at it because they're not bothered by the enviroment, so what do you do? Different names for treaments, product range?
Spill your secrets hun:lol:

I would try and make it more like a specific male treatment rather than a female treatment for men. For example instead of manicure or pedicure I would put hand or foot grooming.
I would use products with a neutral ,unperfumed scent and one's which leave a matt finish because most men hate the 'greasy' feeling of some products.
I would use the words face experience rather than facial, just to make it sound more masculine as men like to feel good and would tend to get massages etc. whilst with my experience find women tend to get more manicures and tans etc. to look better.

I find neautral and modern suits most men, rather than frills,flowers and perfume.

I like this :hug: do you have a product range you would recomend?

I totally agree with this comment!
I adapt all treatments for the guys.. and I use seperate products for the guys too.. and on my treatment menu there is a Male only section. Here the are things like... the Gentlemen's Pedicure, The Action Man, and much more... :)

Vitaman are great, they are affordable and mostly natural ingredients based on medicines of the aboriginals of austrailia. Personam Mens Cosmetics: 4VOO and Menaji - Home Susan Molyneaux also have a range called Virtu, which I hard are good for men. I would try ad avoid using the a male version of your female skincare range because it makes it seem more male specific and personal to the men, and shows they are valued rather than on the list just to get a bit of extra money.

I think sometimes male clients get undervalued and people assume they don't get as much treatments done. Male grooming is one of the fastest growing industries within the beauty industry and people should take advantage of that.

Men can be very mechanical / digital. They like to know how it works and what it is doing. A great example of this is the ESPA Blancing Cream description that is available in both the general range and Men's range. The descriptions are quite different. You can see an old blog post on them here.

Don't worry too much about spending a lot of money on attracting men. Just do some lilttle tweaks - not so floral scenting in the room / towels etc. Most of all treat them with respect and professionally. You make them feel at ease with how you treat them ... this is the biggest complaint my guys have had about other salons.

Mat

Thank you Vitality and Mat, those links are very useful, I feel the same way, why shouldn't a man want to take care of him self?
And why should he be made to feel uncomfortable or an after thought by our industry?
I am in the planning stages for my own salon. I'm always interested to see what's on offer in my town and tbh, there isn't a lot for the guys. The normal barbers, we have a couple of those, but a place for the guy's to go and have a nail or skin care service? I can't think of a single one:eek: I'll have to do some research, there must be someone in my neck of the woods.
Anyway it's something I want to be able to offer. My hubby tends to fall asleep when I'm doing his pedicure, he says its the most relaxing thing he's ever tried:lol: And it's something I want to do right iykwim.

Latest posts

Back