The Massage Which Nearly Killed Me!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
Have just returned from a 2 week holiday in Northern Cyprus. Unfortunately I put my lower back out going down a waterslide :)rolleyes: It lookded like fun though)!

Anyway, I decided to indulge in a relaxing 1 hour full body massage which included reflexology (2 people working on me and I paid £35).

Well I think the lady doing the body massage part put my back out even further. I told her that the lumbar and sacral area of my back was painful on the left side and she acknowledged this. The massage was quite vigorous which felt soothing, but half way through, she then asked me to sit upright which was difficult as my lower back was now extremely painful.

She kept massaging, but I asked her to stop as I could not maintain this position, so I lay down again on my side where upon she began to manouver my legs and attempt what seemed like spinal and leg manipulation!

What is more, most of the time I was fully exposed with no towel wrap or light covers and my legs, boobs and 'other areas' open to the breeze:eek:. Surely this is not right and surely the spinal manipulation was not right?

When I left the salon, I could hardly move. I just wanted to get the hell outta there. Went back to the villa and collapsed in a painfull heap on my bed until I drifted off to sleep.

When I woke up I still had the linear bruise from my slide experience but had an additional bruise in my lumbar region from the 'massage'! What is more, the rflexology was useless. I've had reflexology before and this was no where near the fantastic treatment I felt I should have had.
I only start my beauty therapy in September, so am asking you massage geeks what you think please.

Arrived home yesterday to a plumbing problem and slipped on som water on the floor in our entrance hall and have hurt my back further! Very sore at the moment.

:hug: to you

I am trained in Swedish, Hot Stone and Indian Head and none of the techniques you mention are included in these therapies.

I know Shiatsu can be perceived as painful but I have not trained in the technique, maybe this is what you had.

Unfortunately without knowing what type of massage she practised it is difficult to advise, all I do know is that you should not be injured(bruised) after any massage.

I would advise to get to your GP or a Chiropractor soon, as you have sustained too many injuries to the one area in a very short space of time to be healthy.:hug:

re the exposure European massage are normally naked and exposed, apparantly we are considered mad for keeping our underwear etc on :eek:

hence I have never had a massage in a European country. Worth bearing in mind for any European clients you may have in the future:eek:

I think it is usual only for the British to be covered up during a massage - on the Continent it is usual to be fully exposed!

re the exposure European massage are normally naked and exposed, apparantly we are considered mad for keeping our underwear etc on :eek:

hence I have never had a massage in a European country. Worth bearing in mind for any European clients you may have in the future:eek:

I think it is usual only for the British to be covered up during a massage - on the Continent it is usual to be fully exposed!
Thank you for telling me this as I did not know this was the case. I did ask her if I should keep my nickers on, but she looked at me like I was mad.

Thank you for telling me this as I did not know this was the case. I did ask her if I should keep my nickers on, but she looked at me like I was mad.

OOh no, I didn't realise it was totally naked, no I think I would have drawn the line there! Knickers on for me too! Don't mind the rest hanging out though :lol:

From my experiences of having massages abroad, they are generally done in the buff! Very embarassing especially if done on a beach :eek: no more said about that I think! And also, they tend to do 'deep tissue' massages which are quite painful, I have found anyway.

I'd say dose youtself up with some painkillers and off to bed with you. When you are feeling a bit better try some gentle stretches from side to side, maybe lie on the bed and try raising each leg slowly just a little bit.

If it doesnt get any better in say 3-4 days I would go to the docs, and maybe book yourself into see a good therapist, I said in Minkus' thread, I suffer from Ciatica(sp) and have cupping, accupuncture and accupressure done and they help my problem! Worth a try?

Hope you are better soon though xxxx

From my experiences of having massages abroad, they are generally done in the buff! Very embarassing especially if done on a beach :eek: no more said about that I think! And also, they tend to do 'deep tissue' massages which are quite painful, I have found anyway.

I'd say dose youtself up with some painkillers and off to bed with you. When you are feeling a bit better try some gentle stretches from side to side, maybe lie on the bed and try raising each leg slowly just a little bit.

If it doesnt get any better in say 3-4 days I would go to the docs, and maybe book yourself into see a good therapist, I said in Minkus' thread, I suffer from Ciatica(sp) and have cupping, accupuncture and accupressure done and they help my problem! Worth a try?

Hope you are better soon though xxxx
Thanks Hayls :hug:. When I hurt myself on the slide, I did rest alot on my bed. No pressure there lol as I was on holiday and the rest did help. A pharmacist also prescribed prescription anitinflamatories and paracetamol with small amount of codiene for the breakthrough pain. After the dredded massage, I continued to rest as I was still on holiday and I managed the flight home no probs.

However the slip on the wet floor yesterday has resulted in a very sore back despite analgaesia. I am going to make a GP appointment tomorrow to be on the safe side. I slipped on a subway step in 2000 and I think I fractured my coccyx although didn't seek medical help. Then I suffered Sypmphysis Pubis Dysfunction (separation of pelvic joints in my second pregnancy) and I'm overweight, so pretty much think my back has had more than it's fair share of problems anyway.

Bless you, you've had your fair share of slips havent you!
Im sure the GP will suggest something, however mine never seem to advise alternative therapies! They always prescribe something or other medicinal, whereas I like to try something other than meds!
May not be for everyone but hey it works for me!!
xxx:hug:

Bless you, you've had your fair share of slips havent you!
Im sure the GP will suggest something, however mine never seem to advise alternative therapies! They always prescribe something or other medicinal, whereas I like to try something other than meds!
May not be for everyone but hey it works for me!!
xxx:hug:
I may well seek the attention of a osteopath. I think this could be the answer.

Poor you, bet you wish you had left the massage out now! :hug:

Latest posts

Back