The middle finger

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuise.e

Reaction score
Ok sorry I can't provide a thought provoking, interesting debate to write about - I'll leave that to the pros - but this is something that has been bugging me for a while -

The tip of my middle finger on the left hand seems to veer off to the right, in fact the nail is not central to the fnger at all and the natural apex is not central. So when I put an enhancement on it looks deformed!
I've tried creating the apex on the enhancement a little way over to the left - but it just makes it look bulbous and it always breaks.

Any ideas on what to do or am I just deformed!!

Suzie, you will find many clients whose middle fingers for some reason veer off at a funny angle, some more than others. It's hard to correct without making it look odd. The way that works for me is when I am filing and shaping the nail I look at it from behind and try and match it as best as possible to the other nails.

Sassy Hassy said:
Suzie, you will find many clients whose middle fingers for some reason veer off at a funny angle, some more than others. It's hard to correct without making it look odd. The way that works for me is when I am filing and shaping the nail I look at it from behind and try and match it as best as possible to the other nails.

I'm glad it's not just me then! - my left hand is fine. Though I would prefer it if it was the other way round as it hard enough doing the right hand.
I'll try with the filing thanks Sass:)

I hope others give you their tips (no pun intended) on how they correct the wonky fingers! Often you find that it's the pressure of using a pen that pushes the finger out of alignment especially if it's one hand only, but some people do have it on both!

Zuise.e said:
Ok sorry I can't provide a thought provoking, interesting debate to write about - I'll leave that to the pros - but this is something that has been bugging me for a while -

The tip of my middle finger on the left hand seems to veer off to the right, in fact the nail is not central to the fnger at all and the natural apex is not central. So when I put an enhancement on it looks deformed!
I've tried creating the apex on the enhancement a little way over to the left - but it just makes it look bulbous and it always breaks.

Any ideas on what to do or am I just deformed!!

My middle finger is the same, the nail grows on an angle... when I was a child I ended up knocking it badly and losing a nail.. so this is why. I never grow my natural nails so haven't seen it for a long time.. but it really looks awful. Thankfully though, when I have a full set done... it is not even noticeable.

My friend has this problem, again with her middle finger, and I try and try my best but it ALWAYS looks lopsided! I have to compensate with the file, though. My friend is always happy with her nails though.. or perhaps that's because I only charge her a tenner?! (I am not against charging friends £10 as it's my time at night or weekends when I could be with my baby!)

Sassy Hassy said:
but some people do have it on both!

This would be me:) but on my right hand it veers right and on my left it veers left.
Generally I correct it when I'm fitting the tip, setting it as straight as possible, so that is looks symetrical as the rest.
Hope I haven't confused you.

Cheers

middle fingers tend to veer off to one side because (my opinion only of course)
It's where you rest your pen (or pencil) since you learnt to write.
Left handed have of on their left hand/ right handers on their right
Grab a pen and see for yourself

nailzoo said:
middle fingers tend to veer off to one side because (my opinion only of course)
It's where you rest your pen (or pencil) since you learnt to write.
Left handerd have of on their left hand/ right handers on their right
Grab a pen and see for yourself

yup this is what i was told too. x

I am right handed. My right middle finger is straight, my left veers off to the left. Go figure. Before I started doing nail enhancements etc I thought I had lovely hands. After hourse of scrutiny I have come to realise, that they are wonky, bendy and weird. In short, I now hate them. However I do have long nail beds, so I suppose its not too bad. Still.... xx

Wonky fingers are 'par for the course'!!

As a guide to straightening them: using a thin file (the ones with just a thin wooden core for natural nails, not cushioned files) hold it down the length of the finger but standing up, not flat (so the side of the file is resting on the finger and you are looking at the other side)

Look at the nail either side of the file. A perfectly symetrical nail will look the same either side of the file. Most will be very uneven. To straighten up a wonky finger make the free edge as even as you can when viewed either side of the file. When you apply the overlay, look down the barrel of the nail and line the 'c' curve up with the finger.

If you get close to all these shapes and curves a wonky finger will be straightened out

When I am putting a tip on a wonky finger I take as much free edge off as possible and then make sure that I get the centre of the tip in alignment with the centre of the finger and take the angle of the tip alignment from that..... sometimes the tip looks crooked when first put on but once its blended in and the enhancement product is on it looks straight.

thank you mum and nailsbd! :) both of my pointer fingers are wonky... i'll try this for myself tomorrow (hopefully!!)

and i just looked at myself holding a pen... i don't hold a pen like a "normal" person.. so that's probably why my middles are ok. my thumb rests on the side of my pointer... yeah, i'm a freak:lol:

I don't think wonkey fingers are always to do with how you hold pens etc..as I always use my right hand for writing etc. but both my middle fingers are wonkey. The right one to the right and the left one to the left. I think its to do with your genes because I remember my Nan had the exact same fingers! It got more prominent as she got older, she still had lovely feminine hands, just the middle fingers veered out!

I find if I keep the nails short they look fine, its when they start getting a bit longer they look lopsided! :irked:

Latest posts

Back