The Nail Industry... what's it like where you live?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my area seems to be getting SATURATED with nail techs.

Every time i open the local village rag there are 2 or 3 more new ones advertising in there, and then the odd client says 'oh such and such just started doing nails you know'

It doesnt really affect me, i rarely loose any clients most have been with me since the beginning and now have recommended me to friends.

I'd love to be brave and open a nice swanky salon, maybe do training too eventually however i fear there is lots of competition and darent do it just yet !....one day hey:green:

Amb x

We have 3 NSS in the town centre, a Nailcraft salon that is always really quiet and the others are Beauty Salons that do nails too...... Saying that, one of the Beauty places has got a good rep for nails.....

One thing I have noticed though is that although there are plenty of girls working from home or saying 'mobile' not many seem to want to actually do mobile!! I had a new client recently who was most surprised when I said 'yep I come to you, when do you want??'. The others she had rung said 'oh, I do mobile if I have to......'

I don't know of anyone else who offers custom blending, most tech's near me seem to offer white tip and overlay :irked:. Wait til I've got my Masters - I'll plaster that over all my ads!!!!

Tbh, I keep on ploughing my own little furrow and don't pay too much attention to others!

In my village - I am the ONLY QUALIFIED nail technician. I have a few DIYers as competition, which i end up sorting out but to be honest I don't do many nails in that area, I tend to do them 30 miles away where I work my day job and the market is saturated there - theres loads of techs and nail bars, some good, some bad and one NSS! xx

where i live there is one nss which is packed out from morning til night , everyone i know goes in there , i havent started up as yet as i am hoping to have more training . i have my creative conversion on 4th july , i dont want to start before i am fully confident , i do feel it will be hard to change some of those nss clients though:irked:

In a word ... swamped.

Bucket loads of NSS, beauty salons and hairdressing salons offering beauty treatments ... then again, I do live within the Greater London area and towns and cities are always going to have an abundance of everything.

Oddly enough though, there appears to be no shortage of clients at any of them.

Good thread Sandi.

Here in Denmark the nail industy is so far behind 10 years at least, and there is not many nail salons, usely they are combind whit some sort of beauty clinic or a hair dresser. We don´t have NSS shop here, but insted there a so many girls offering nail enhancment who have never taken a class in doing nails, and offering there services to very low prices, and the customers asked me why do you take £45 for L&P nails when i can get dip-in nails over there to the price of £20, they say that dip-in nails are just as good as L&P nails..... I makes me so furious, that they are destroying the marked for us qualified nail techs, to have nails done is not a MUST in this country, and if people ones have had a bad experience with having there nails done then they won´t come back, not even to visit a real good one. :irked:

In my area (western WA state), there are NSS on every corner, and very few truly skilled, professional nail techs. I've been calls because of my cleanliness and the fact that I don't use "drills" (and whenever I get one of those ladies in my chair, I promptly educate her about the fact that electric files can be used safely and effectively!). I also get client referals because I don't do nails that look like everyone else's. I have yet to find a single tech in my town who does nails the way I do, and it's a bit frustrating--someday I'd like to take a vacation for longer than a week! :D

So far as I'm concerned, I'm the only tech and geek in the village!

I live 10miles from the centres of my nearest towns.
One begins with 'Spal' and ends with 'ding' has a few nail places, most are not up to much and one is quite good i've heard it's hard to get an appointment with - however I've seen the rings of fire that have come out of there?!!?:eek:

The other town beginning with 'Bos' and ending with 'ton', has approx 2/3 nail bars of which I've seen results, not good....and very recently the first NSS with drills etc:Scared:.
I looked through the window when they first opened and checked out the price list - shocked - they charge the same as me £35 p&W.
Have had a client from them come to me last week. It's the first time I've really seen what damage NSS with drills can do. I was shocked and horrified.
Poor girl thought it was normal to have painfull nails for days after her service!!!!!!

It makes me feel like standing outside the shop with banners and shouting. However they would not understand what I was saying as they are obviously from the far east.

plenty of NSS as well as reputable salons in my town, but many new techs only seem to do gel and most of the ones that do L&P dont have a clue how to do P&W only clear or white tips, so that is where I am different:)

Quite a few salons and hair salons offering nails where I am - but they dont seem to last that long - perhaps they dont make the £££ that the home learn courses or the fast track 1 day courses say you will. I really dont know of that many who have been going as long as me - which makes me feel old!!!

well, northampton used to be known as a shoemaking town, but that industry has been in decline for many a year now. it seems that the nail industry has taken over from it ! there's a nail tech on every corner now. in the town centre we have 4 big nss and another one that is based in a hair salon. there are many seemingly reputable salons situated in and around the town too as well as dozens of techs within hair salons and mobiles.

Looks like I left Northampton just in the nick of time. There was only 2 NSS salon and they were in the Town Centre and I was in Kingsthorpe. Now I am back in Victoria I have found the clients a bit reserved when it come to nail art and trying something other than P&W. Where as my clients in Northampton were always coming to me to match some outfit or hand bag. Slowly with the help of a few other nail techs in town we are converting the public and I am having fun again. Atleast 1 or 2 clients a day are letting me have a play. Business is booming here though. We are so busy we are expanding and going to be offering apprecticeships. I am excitied because I finally get to teach which I have wanted to do for years. I have also just opened up a room in my new house in a growing area and only one nail tech worth mentioning. Fingers crossed I will find the hours in the day to do all this and have a child in Kindergarten....will proove interesting.

Cheers xxxx RAExxx
PS....I miss my clients in Northampton :cry:

I used to worry about competition, but it is healthy and keeps you on your toes and makes sure you are always refreshing your skills and coming up with innovative and different ideas to be that one step a head from other salons or mobile techs.

I personally have four salons within a 1 mile radius of me. One of those is a NSS one, but this hasn't effected my business at all. I seem to offer a lot more nail wise than all of these salons. I do custom blending, french, coloured tips, glitter tips, 3D nail art as well as free hand nail art. The thing that brings people to me, is a lot to do with the fact i do proper pink and whites, which is what i thought others do, but not all of the salons do it, they use air brushing so the white chips off. This is the same as the nail art too.

The main thing which i offer that others don't is the colour fade work and the encased nail art and of course the custom blending. The other main thing that all my clients said brought them to me, was the fact they could see examples of what i do on my website. Where i am, there are loads of ads in the yellow pages for nail techs, which doesn't include the beauty salons, but only a few of us have actual websites.

People love to see what you can do, so i think the best way to get yourself noticed is to have a website and of course word of mouth.

Looks like I left Northampton just in the nick of time. There was only 2 NSS salon and they were in the Town Centre and I was in Kingsthorpe. Now I am back in Victoria I have found the clients a bit reserved when it come to nail art and trying something other than P&W. Where as my clients in Northampton were always coming to me to match some outfit or hand bag. Slowly with the help of a few other nail techs in town we are converting the public and I am having fun again. Atleast 1 or 2 clients a day are letting me have a play. Business is booming here though. We are so busy we are expanding and going to be offering apprecticeships. I am excitied because I finally get to teach which I have wanted to do for years. I have also just opened up a room in my new house in a growing area and only one nail tech worth mentioning. Fingers crossed I will find the hours in the day to do all this and have a child in Kindergarten....will proove interesting.

Cheers xxxx RAExxx
PS....I miss my clients in Northampton :cry:

it probably happened a little after you left, its about 12 months or so since the big nail explosion here. despite the amount of nail techs available though , i dont see that many more people that have had their nails done other than 15 year olds and you can see at a glance where they are getting them done.

fantastic that things are going so well for you over there:)

my yellow pages ad just seems to be lost in a sea of other advertisers. next year i'll try yell.com as y.p is a waste of money now.

I have just a free lineage ad in yellow pages and I seem to be registered with yell.com for free - have you checked to see if maybe you are as well? :)

in my area, well where i plan to open my own studio, there are 15 salons that do hair only, 2 that have gals that only do basic mani and pedis. I will be the ONLY licenced nail tech that will do acrylic tip, sculptured and more.
i am shocked that nobody does it as there is a population of nearly 10,000 and have university in town!!! i have already been writing plans for months - i kknow i will make a killing being the only one doing full sets and fills in the area!!! most ladies/students go across state line to get them done in shops of "asian" staff that have burned me the first time and i have never gone back!!

as i said in another post, i start classes on tues july 1 08...i will be doing 600 hours - here are some of the hours i have to do to graduate here: 50 hour drill, 50 hour airbrushing, 80 mani/pedi, 90 hour application just to name a few.

i am so surprised how different the training is in other countries compared to usa. am i missing something or do you really have no license to work just a few days/weeks of training???

oh check out MySpace.com - www.myspace.com/85721102 i will try to update often on what i a ding in classes and post photos of work as i go along.

sorry i got a bit off track... million things going through my mind in anticipation of school on tueday!! lol

nailprincess

What's the nail industry like where you live? it is... I'd say boring. npt the industry per se, but all the stuff around. I am lucky enough to of been trained in the best school and have been taught a lot, but there are many nail scools around who will tell you that in 1 week you can be a full nail tech and make lots of money. it annoys me...
I am quite protected from the others as I am attached to a company so well. I only go in a nail studio one or 2 days a week and am pretty booked so it's nice.
here it's still far from being recognized, from a professionnal point of view. so we don't need insurance or stuff. we just... do.

It doesn't matter what part of the world you're from, all replies are more than welcome.

Do you find there are lots of salons where you live?
not really. a lot of girls work "black" unless... in the big towns (if there are any) there are some salons working well, unless they don't really last.

What makes a salon, home salon or mobile therapist stand out more than another one in your area?
the tech, luckily! if you're good, it' easy to spread the word. if you 're bad, it spreads quick too n you're burnt

What services do you offer that are different to your competition?
extreme nail art in nail studios... unless I answer calls for desperate techs lol... and I train them... n I compete...

Do you find that you have to offer alternative therapies to not only make a living but to make your business different to that of your competition?
well I work where I work because I stand out lol. I couldn't live on doing pink and white l&p. I need fantasy and I create it.

a nail studio I often work with only does nail enhancement, only in l&p, and only with OPI and it's the best (turn over wise) of the country. so I guess you only need to offer great work to have a reputation and then (and only then) the clients call all day long

yes a nail bar/salon on every corner. were i live nail art more creative nails are in the city or in more urban areas. saburban areas are more expensive and offer almost no nail art a lil more slow in those areas i supose.

I had no idea this world existed until I lived in Japan (2008), where you could see the most extravagant set of nails in daily life in the area of Shibuya to name a better known area.

I had my first contact through a woman who lives near Tokyo and who had her laptop decorated with beautifully done roses and flowers. I asked her to teach me one day, just out of my curiosity. Then she gave me a pass for the Beauty Salon Fair in Tokyo and said to me "Go and visit this fair. If afterwards you're still interested I'll teach you". GOSH! Such an ENORMOUS FAIR, and so much information for a non initiated like me that I did not understand a ****. More over, everything was in Japanese, and even though I read some Japanese, it is still overwhelming.

Once back in Valencia (Spain) in 2010 it was slightly hard to find a place where to buy my first products to start with (later I have found more and more). And when I did it by means of the Internet I ended up in one of the most expensive shops for nails in Valencia (I knew that couple of months later), where I bought my Pro Acrylic EzFlow Starting Set (what I cannot still understand from the box title is that even though it was an starting set i still had some necessary items that were not included :rolleyes: )

After couple of months and one visit to the Beauty Fair in Madrid in 2010 I realized how tiny is this market in Spain, compared to Japan (or as I heard, to Mexico). Although for me it was more affordable to get a grasp of understanding like this. I bought in this one some colour acrylic for 3D and permanent french manicure for instance. And in the next fair in Alicante I bought my first Konad set (I am not very skilful yet for painting). Girls who came to me to have their nails done and most of them were not new to this world had never seen before Konad products!!:eek: nor colour acrylics!! :eek::eek:

My Guinea pigs clients (as I am still practicing) ;) are young girls who cannot afford to go to expensive salons and some of them have actually experienced first hand fungus problems from extremely cheap Chinese "Express Nail Salons" which actually nor even use professional buffers and shine files to give you a natural lasting shine in your set of nails. Instead some clear top coat is applied. Couple of days or so later when pealed off you will have dim not polished nails. And if you are lucky... some fungus perhaps??

It seems to be common here as well that people work in their houses and charge cheaper. Actually I am not surprised if you take a second and look how the economic situation is in Spain right now.

Licensed salons more over charge you at least twice as much as you will be if you were in EEUU for selling you well known nail products and brands. You realize of this fact when you see the same products for the half of the price (shipping included) in Ebay from EEUU for example.

And to end with this I adduce that I was lucky enough to get to know a professional in Valencia who charges your the "right" amount of money (not as much as you may have to sell your soul, and not so little it would become a danger for the rest of this business) and who is in continuous contact with the world of nails in Mexico (well known specially for their wide range of decorations and stuff for nails) and trying to keep herself up-to-date.

Well this has been my impressions of the nail world in my city. I might be wrong in some points but this is all the accurate I can be for you from my personal perspective of this still-to-discover world of nails.

Hope you enjoyed it.

Ángel

We have a couple of nail salons about a mile away from one salon, all of which are nss. The other salon has no nail or beauty salons around, but I can't find anyone to do nails in there!!! Advertised like mad, and no takers.

Okey dokey, here goes.

What's the nail industry like where you live?
It's not a "nail industry" so much as a "NSS Industry". In my town, NSS are numerous. "Real" Techs are few and far between. They work in the salon for a few months... then they dissappear. In the salons, you see tip-n-dip more than anything else.
Across the bridge in Montreal, there are some 'real' techs BUT...NSS outnumber them by far.
Education is near abysmal. The best school I could find.. the education isn't even close to the standards required in the US and UK.
The one sollitary competition pits tip-n-dip against L&P and against UV gel all in the same category :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter what part of the world you're from, all replies are more than welcome.
Chateauguay, Quebec Canada. 20min from Montreal.

Do you find there are lots of salons where you live?
Hair salons yes. Other, no. NSS, tonnes.

What makes a salon, home salon or mobile therapist stand out more than another one in your area?
Price and rarely, it's services.

What services do you offer that are different to your competition?
Sculpted nail enhancements, coloured uv gel and L&P. Freehand art. 3D art. Shellac. NO damage. Healthy nails. All the other places offer is clear L&P with tips or tip-n-dip and polish. To my knowledge, I am the ONLY tech in town that offers these services and the ONLY one with "real" Uv Gel.

Do you find that you have to offer alternative therapies to not only make a living but to make your business different to that of your competition?
I may have to, because my prices are prohibitive for many. It's a "blue collar" town. Compared to most on Geek, I likely don't charge 'enough'.
Mind you, I do get a couple of clients travelling as much as an hour to come see me.

I want my business to grow. I "think" the only way I can do this is if I moved across the bridge, and took a jump and rented a space. My town is just too small. The last two years, I've been at a standstill.
If I ramble further, I'd get depressed about the state of this town.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back