The nails industry - thoughts on the future please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
go for it Sam, this could be good.

And that is what I think the industry should be aiming at - getting the public to realise that enhancements are just that - they are to enhance the natural nail! I also think that a manicure should be so much more important to people than it is, people notice your hands so much, they play a very big part in body language and are nearly always on show.

[Wouldn't it be a fab step forward for us, if a client would come in to us with a magazine cutting and say, I so want these nails !!!!!!! Nails need to become the hot gossip of the decade........Whether it is the Natural Manicure to die for, or the latest shade to yearn for.....

I
Ruth Fordham
www.nailsinlondon.com

i've just deleted my post my hitting something on the keyboard aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with this post but I think if we want exposure of this magnitude we've got to be ready

If I'm flicking through a hair magazine and I see a cut I like I expect my hairdresser to be able to do it. I don't want to hear I can only do straight cuts I don't know how to layer or thin that is her/his job

If someone came to us and said I want these nails would we be able to do them for example

Are we all competent full service nail technicians can we offer all systems in all styles at a high standard on all nail types (as far as we can)
sculpting, tip and overlay, elongation and correction.
Can we all do fan, flat, hook, and short nail beds successfully in the customers chosen system. Can we all do freehand nail art, can we all do 3d, encapsulation, airbrushing, glitter fades, coloured designs, perfect polishing, custom blending and your classic pink and whites.

That was just for enhanced nails, can we do a pedicure that makes our clients feel like they have new feet, or manicures to die for some nail technicians cant or wont go near feet.

I personally think we've got a way to go and the nail industy is its own worst ememy. A kingdom (industry) divided aginst itself will fall, for example instead of slating another company because we don't like or use their products (except MMA) we should be pushing the industry as a whole.
We should have a united front because we will all benefit from this exposure regardless of the company's we use.
Some of the higher ended companies I think are too busy pushing their name and their agenda rather than the nail industry. There's a piece of the pie for everyone especially if nails come into their own like hair and beauty.

It's time to stop scare tactics I read a thread where someone said and i quote
"I DO NOT LIKE XYZ AND REFER TO THEM AS XYZ AS I WANT TO PUT PEOPLE OFF USING THEM"
how is this helping the industry as a whole? isn't this the same sort of thing as saying gel is better than l&p they are all nail related so they all affect us the nail technician in some way or the other.

If we as a nail technican give one company or system a bad reputation customers will remember this, how many of us are quick to complain but don't spend the same amount of time and effort to encourage eg (restaurant)
If someone came to us for a particular brand nail polish and we didn't have it how many of us would actually recommend another brand even though it might not be our preference it might not be XYZ but if the customer likes the look of a polished nail she might have more treatments done in the future doesn't this help all of us

I don't want to babble on but some of the forums on this site back up what I'am saying. If we want nails to come into their own we need to back the industry as a whole not just XYZ

There are loads of things which need to change for the industry to move on but something which bothered me as a consumer was the type of place nail services are offered. In my area we have a choice of asian run nail bars which are lacking a certain amount of err......class.....or beauty salons who offer mainly natural nail care.

I think we need to keep up with the times a bit more and be fresh and inviting. Many people would love to have their nails looked after but dread the thought of entering the otherwise alien world of a beauty salon or test the reputation of the salons offering enhancements. I'm not out to salon bash but the bland interiors, tinkling music and lovely, made up therapists who waft effortlessless around the place really puts me off and I think alot of women find this quite intimidating.

What we need are more upbeat funky, inviting places to have your nails pampered whilst listening to music, having a glass of champagne and a chat. Thats not to say it wont be relaxing too, I think theres a fine line but I definatley think we'd get more customers if it became easier for customer to pop in and out without a big fuss and having had the best manicure, pedicure, set of enhancements theyve ever had.

All these things are great, I think some of the problem is also perception.

At the moment I'm only qualified to "do" natural nails, and the people I have done, all think that enhancements will eventually damage the natural nail. It is going to take time and the media to explain that this is definately not the case.

The other thing is cost. Not all of your everyday Joe's think that hands (or feet for that matter) warrant a regular expenditure, how many of your clients initially use hand cream for example? Again, it needs a big media push to educate the public that the services a professional techician offer are value for money and that the skin on your hands is just that - skin, and needs to be treated as carefully as your face!:)

Kat, how long have you got!!!!

This industry gives the totally wrong impression to the majority of 'potential nail clients'. The market we attract is minute.

I believe there are many reasons for this but one of them is the attitude ingrained within this industry: it is not seen as a 'proper' business. So many, after a short course, set up a 'business'. Until the majority of the industry starts to think what the real world is all about and what real business entails it will never be viewed by the public as a serious service industry.

'Sweaty Betty's', page 3 and 'footballers wives' is the over-riding impression of the services and poorly trained and unknowlegeable providers.

I'm not making this up, it's what I'm told every day I work by the people who influence public opinion

Chemz Nailz said:
If I'm flicking through a hair magazine and I see a cut I like I expect my hairdresser to be able to do it. I don't want to hear I can only do straight cuts I don't know how to layer or thin that is her/his job
If someone came to us and said I want these nails would we be able to do them for example
Are we all competent full service nail technicians can we offer all systems in all styles at a high standard on all nail types (as far as we can)
sculpting, tip and overlay, elongation and correction.
Can we all do fan, flat, hook, and short nail beds successfully in the customers chosen system. Can we all do freehand nail art, can we all do 3d, encapsulation, airbrushing, glitter fades, coloured designs, perfect polishing, custom blending and your classic pink and whites.
That was just for enhanced nails, can we do a pedicure that makes our clients feel like they have new feet, or manicures to die for some nail technicians cant or wont go near feet.

Ummmm
Well, I think educating the public with a magazine, they will know that
A) not all techs can offer all services
B) that some things simply are NOT possible for some clients.

Education would be a large part of what the magazine is about, I would assume?:confused:

I used to be a hairdresser way back when.
The public (or at least, the intelligent part) already knows: different stylists, barbers, color technicians, etc.. all have different 'strengths' and talents, not to mention personal style when doing someone's hair.
Someone who wants cornrows or a chignon for a wedding is not going to a barber shop.
And a guy who only wants a 'buzz' (as we say in montreal aka army shave aka buzzcut) is not going to go to a big salon and pay 60$ for it.

I think you all have the right idea about doing a magazine for the public. Before i started doing nails myself, I was constantly looking for nails magazines.... and never found any...magazine store owners/clerks looked at me like I was nuts when I asked.
I can NOT be the only consumer that did look.
We also definately HAVE to approach fashion industry magazines, and household magazines aimed at stay at home moms and such and 'bring the articles' to them, so to speak.
If they aren't looking for us to learn the TRUTH about this industry, then we should bring the truth to them.

Perhaps we should also approach industry magazines and tell them "PUT YOUR MAGS ON THE SHELVES"... They ALSO should consider that market.
The only drawback, do we want our clients knowing how to do nail art? LOL

Educating our public will do two things:
Shut down NSS/Chopshops
And bring us MORE clients.

Now, where do we start?
It's a tonne of work, that's for sure, to get the ball rolling.

Anyway, just my 2cents, from someone new to the industry ;) ;)

nailnerd66 said:
Hi
I have been in this industry for two decades, I have access to a consumer report on the size of the industry and the health and safety of it in the U.S. if your interested. This report can add insight as to why the consumers are a bit shy about having nail services done.
If consumers are shy about having nail services, its because they have experienced or seen the work of NSS salons. this is easy to tell when their first words on finding out your a nail technician are "but dont' they ruin your nails":rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back