The natural nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peppercorn Nails

Reaction score
Okay why do some nails curl once they pass the free edge? Generally speaking I actually have (dare I say it) rather nice natural nails. However I do have one particularly rogue one ( :evil: ). Now I generally carry out fairly regular manicures, always keep nail polish on and always apply my solar oil ( :rainbow: ).

So ladies and gents solve my :evil: problem.............please as it's making my other nails very sad :( !!

Lots of love waiting for that very special ingredient,

Adele :(

Hi Adele

What type of products do you use on the nails - ie. basecoat, polish and topcoat?

This is a combination of a few factors.

The most common one is plate hydration.

As the plate is on the bed, it is sealed with oil and moisture. When the plate moves off the bed and becomes the free edge, it no longer is recieving its regular supply of oil and moisture so it eventually dries out.
When it dries out... it compresses and shrinks (curls).

Thats why things like SolarOil are so beneficial to the plate in these instances. SolarOil will help to keep the plate sealed with oil to help prevent this dehydration.

The other factors are subtle: bone shape, bed shape, plate composition.

Toodles

What type of products do you use on the nails - ie. basecoat, polish and topcoat

Hi Fiona, wondered how long it would take you :D . At the moment I'm using Jessica products. Reward (Jessica) - basecoat; various nail polishes (Zoya, Creative, Essie or Jessica - all Toluene and Formaldehyde free); Top Priority and Brilliance (Jessica) - topcoat.

SolarOil will help to keep the plate sealed with oil to help prevent this dehydration.

Thanks Nail Geek, but I'm already using this as I also think it's fab 8) . The rest of my nails don't give into this dreadful nonsense so why does this one......does it just like to give me a hard time :boom:

Actually the interesting thing is when I go to the gym (yeah I know....very smug) that nail does actually straighten up and look as equally cool as the rest which does make it sound like it's down to hydration. Does this then mean that I must spend the rest of my life working out :frust: ???

Adele

You say you are using Reward - this is a non treatment basecoat for tip top already healthy nails if I remember my Jessica training correctly. I personally dont believe that anyone in this day and age can have tip top healthy nails and lead a normal life (please dont shoot me :) )

I think you would be better changing to one of the more hydrating basecoats for either brittle or dry nails depending on which you think your nails are - possibly on the problem nail even go for one of the more gutsy ones - Restoration I think.

I hope this helps.

Sorry Fiona I've been very rude in not replying to you, for that I apologise :oops:

Have taken your advice and started to use the one for dry nails because on closer inspection they were 'dragging'.

Fingers crossed this will help.

Thanks babe,
Dellie

I have rather nice nails too *ego ego* even though they really short at the moment (broke em at work when packing), but one of my nails on my right hand is slightly...wonky!! Its the weirdest nail I have, the nail looks and feels a lot more rounded and curved than the others and it doesnt grow very long either.

I think i trapped it in a door as a child...could this be the cause?? Anyway I could...unwonky it?! lol!!!

xxlaylaxx

I'd say half of my clients (myself included) have 'wonky' index fingers... They kinda twist... never look right...

weird huh??!! Its not my index finger, its my right ring finger..it looks weiiiiiird!

xxlaylaxx

A damaged matrix caused by trapping your finger in a door could most definately cause wonky growth. There is not a huge amount you can do if the damage is permanent. You could ensure the nail is in optimum health by using specific treatments for your type of nails - dry, brittle etc. You could also try to disguise it by having an enhancement applied to this nail only - keep the nail short and sculpt on a new tip. This in the long run may help to train your new nail into a new shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back