The Perfect salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naturalnails

Legend
Reaction score
I am just about to start an extension to my house - well not me personally LOL. Yes I know, I have been saying this for ages but it is due to start in August. Good builders are like good nail techs - you have to wait for an appointment.

Question is - if you were starting from scratch what are the things which would make your life easier. I dont want to leave things out if I can incorporate them at source. My hubby - bless him - has decided he will make me a desk - not sure yet if this is a good idea LOL. He has suggested a sort of bone shape - large circular areas at each end for "in your face" retail LOL and my working products to hand. He is trying to work out how to incorporate an expelair thing in the desk.

I also need to think of the best chairs for comfort for me and my client.

Any thoughts at this stage would be greatly appreciated. I cant wait for it to get started LOL

Totally know what you mean by this and we do them at Polished, they look great and do hold retail whilst clients are in the seat ;) !! Number one thing to have is ventillation whether it be like the Vapex D or something built in, into your conversion - make sure the desk has cupboards so you can house your bits and pieces - Your chair needs to be supportive of your back particularly - also 'swivel' is handy and height adjustment also!! You'll need a sink/loo area (unless you don't mind them using yours in the house) :oops: Your clients chair needs to be tres comfy so test some yourself and see if you would feel comfy in it for 2 hours :p I'm sure you have your own ideas on retail shelving etc - how about a coffee table for mags and a small but comfy couch for those who are waiting!! ;)

Hi Fiona

My hubby drilled a big hole right next to my table and placed an ordinary kitchen extractor fan (about £60 from B&Q). Works brilliantly, you can actually see the dust being drawn out, plus very good at getting rid of the fumes. Another good thing is that all that rubbish is taken straight outside, so no need for changing of filters, etc. The down side is that it can be a bit noisy - hey you can't have everything.

Like the idea of the bone shaped desk though - still waiting for my hubby to sort my one out aswell :rolleyes:

Adele

i have fantastic chairs for my self and client. great for pedicures too. They are leather and beechwood office chairs. high backed and sware you can fir 2 people on one chair!!!! They were very expensive (to me they were) £200 in the sale but they are fab. they have wheels on , swivel , tilt back.
i must have had a sixth sense today cos i took a look at the new argos catalogue and they have a cream pvc and antique pine version and it's only £50 which i think is an absolute bargain

naturalnails said:
I am just about to start an extension to my house - well not me personally LOL. Yes I know, I have been saying this for ages but it is due to start in August. Good builders are like good nail techs - you have to wait for an appointment.

Question is - if you were starting from scratch what are the things which would make your life easier. I dont want to leave things out if I can incorporate them at source. My hubby - bless him - has decided he will make me a desk - not sure yet if this is a good idea LOL. He has suggested a sort of bone shape - large circular areas at each end for "in your face" retail LOL and my working products to hand. He is trying to work out how to incorporate an expelair thing in the desk.

I also need to think of the best chairs for comfort for me and my client.

Any thoughts at this stage would be greatly appreciated. I cant wait for it to get started LOL

As it is at your house, have you thought about whether you are happy for your clients to enter you living areas to use the toilet / wash hands etc.? You might like to incorporate that. Also tea / coffee facilities.

To me lighting is a big feature. It will save so much money if you get it right at the planning stage.

Thank you for that one Ella, yes I thought about that - it has its own external door and a toilet so they dont have to enter my home. I do not have tea/coffee facilities as it is against my training to eat or drink in the salon area.

I have 9 halogen spot lights on the roof beams so lighting is good but I posted a question a few days ago about the best desk light.

Thanks again Ella for your great posts.

Good on you girl!
I also work from home... We have a separate triple garage near to the house and I have the room over the top. I have a downstairs loo and wash basin for clients and a kitchen area with fridge etc to make drinks for them.
Upstairs I have a 'treatment room' (for holistic therapies) and a 'nail room' for manicures, peds, nails, airbrush tan, etc. We have an extractor in the external wall for smells and also my hubby made a hole in my Kayline desk and put in an extractor that we got from an electrical wholesaler (he is a spark) it only cost about £30 (they have different sizes and powers) and we also got a chrome grille to fit,to go over the top to stop fingers etc falling in! I made a few ductbags out of interfacing from a fabric shop and it really works well.
The name of the wholesaler is Edmundsons Electrical and they are in most towns, you don't have to be trade to get in.If u'd like details e me.
I love working from home, my overheads are minimal and I don't HAVE to be open 9-5, I fit the clients around me and my lifestyle, what could be better eh!
The best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back