The portable spray booth

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiya,

The pop up booth sounds like a good idea, but what about the overspray that the client will inevitably breathe in due to lack of extraction and a small enclosed space, just a thought !

Amanda

hi id like to know about the extraction?? as most therapists that r mobile dont use them i honestly hadnt thought about it????????

Re extraction - I did the Solglo training course and asked that very same question. They said due to the fact there is very little overspray you dont need it. They are aiming this system at mobile techs as our trainer suggested you market for "Tanning Parties". Obviously this means going to someone's house and setting up and spraying about 6 people in one go. As has been suggested before you are better off (if you go down this route) buying the Sundrench machine for £99 (www.sundrench.co.uk), doing your own thing with a booth, buying whatever solution you decide on and saving yourself a boat load of money!

Good luck
Liz

dizzydupe said:
Re extraction - I did the Solglo training course and asked that very same question. They said due to the fact there is very little overspray you dont need it. They are aiming this system at mobile techs as our trainer suggested you market for "Tanning Parties". Obviously this means going to someone's house and setting up and spraying about 6 people in one go. As has been suggested before you are better off (if you go down this route) buying the Sundrench machine for £99 (www.sundrench.co.uk), doing your own thing with a booth, buying whatever solution you decide on and saving yourself a boat load of money!

Good luck
Liz
Hiya,

The thing is you really do need extraction, even with extraction you will still get some over spary esp the HVLP ones as they are really for spray painting fences, my advise would be to shop around and just because something is cheap it may not be a bargain when you have to replace it after a couple of months because the motor has failed, another point regarding the HVLP systems is the filtration in the comp itself or lack of it! basically it sucks air in from around the envioroment and then back out with the product on to the fence or client.

I dont want to be sceptical but when you are spraying clients you have to be fully aware what you are spraying on them.

Amanda

Client isn't the only one inhaling stuff either. She may only have it done occasionally but as the therapist you are breathing it all the time. Plus today, a therapist (who formerly worked in insurance) told me that BABTAC had an exclusion in their policy for spray tans. Might be worth checking this out before going down this route.

Still sounds like hard work to me! That pop up one just pops up apparently, well i suppose it would wouldnt it with that name. My friends just bought one, she thinks she thinks its the dogs proverbials!!

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but if you have a client in a pop up enclosed booth, is there not a build up of over spray flying around? It must get pretty steamy in there?

nails@42ndstreet said:
Sorry if this sounds stupid, but if you have a client in a pop up enclosed booth, is there not a build up of over spray flying around? It must get pretty steamy in there?
In a word yes!!! and who is breathing most of it in? the client, what happens when they breathe too much in because there is so much overspray and they have probs with their breathing after! they will go to one of these "where there's a blame, there is a claim"

Just be really carefull, and fully look into things like this. When you are working on clients you have to be extra carefull.

Amanda

Lily said:
In a word yes!!! and who is breathing most of it in? the client, what happens when they breathe too much in because there is so much overspray and they have probs with their breathing after! they will go to one of these "where there's a blame, there is a claim"

Just be really carefull, and fully look into things like this. When you are working on clients you have to be extra carefull.

Amanda
hi ive just read on the su do thread someone uses a small air purifir (cant spell)when she spray tans does this work???

yes but shouldnt we all be wearing masks anyway? st tropez definitely recommend the use of them and with the overspray in a cubicle, think about where its going if its not in the cubicle, everywhere!! what a mess! Better in the cubicle i say!

Maybe it would be better not to have cubicle because surely they are small, air etc will be trapped inside? A friend of mine who does it at home, placed a shower curtain on the walls from a corner, and a protective covering on the floor, this way you can have as much space as the size of the curtains/plastic sheets.

Deb379

I wonder how do you see in these? Surley they cause too many shaddows on the body?

It sounds good, but where does the spray go? Everywhere!! Clients will be much happier if it were contained, dont you think? Sounds like hard work carrying and putting up all those sheets every time. I am gonna go to the show and have a look myself, it looks like that pop up one is on a stand.

some people ive spoke to just do it in baths and shower cubicles as those pop up cubicles cost about £200 xx

Wow what a popular subject. Just thought i would say you can visit stand A818 The Spray Tan Cublicle at Prof nails and ask the all the questions about extraction etc. There is a offer price of £195 with your voucher. :D

Forgive me ladies if you think I'm being a bit tight but..... I'm going to opt for the Sundrench system as it seems particularily good value for money. Fine no problems.

I emailed Spraytancubicle.co.uk and was quoted £175 & Vat - totalling £205.63. Postage is included in this. Do you think that's ridiculous for a pop-up tent? Basically that's what it is but bigger isn't it? :cry:

Do you think ToysRUs could glue two together for me and then it would only cost about £30?!!!

I'm sorry but I think that is a real - oh I was gonna swear there but changed my mind.:o

Bit miffed.

Sherry.x

Sherry2k said:
Forgive me ladies if you think I'm being a bit tight but..... I'm going to opt for the Sundrench system as it seems particularily good value for money. Fine no problems.

Sherry.x
Hiya,

I'm also a big fan of saving money!!!! if you go to argos you can buy the HVLP paint sprayer for £59, but be aware it is for spray painting not spary tanning.

I think if you go to a fishing tackle shop they might do pop up tents and they may be cheaper too

Amanda

Lily said:
Hiya,

I'm also a big fan of saving money!!!! if you go to argos you can buy the HVLP paint sprayer for £59, but be aware it is for spray painting not spary tanning.

I think if you go to a fishing tackle shop they might do pop up tents and they may be cheaper too

Amanda
Nice one Lily, that made me laugh.

Seriously though how can something designed for spraying a fence be safe to use when spraying a client's face?

Does anyone know the psi of these machines which obviously isn't regulated in any way?

And a fence has a large surface area so there MUST be large volumes of overspray when spraying a body.

You may be in it for a quick buck but who will pay at the end of the day should things go wrong?

Kill joy me!! LOL.

As a post script, we talk long and hard about using MMA on nails (which is generally used in making hard plastics for hearing aids and the like), so what is the difference here in using equipment which is not designed for the purpose we are using it?

Before any1 shoots me, I've not had a good look at these "pop-up tent"-style tanning booths, so I AM NOT SLATING THEM, as I really am not placed to do that. :o

Phew! Anyhoo...

There are many issues here that concern me, and Lily and Cathie have raised a good fair few between them. Any1 who says that St Tropez/Fake Bake Spray/Heavenly Bodies or any other airbrush tanning system doesn't produce overspray wants to come and see our salon or that of any other beautician in our area. :!:

We have a shower room which is used for airbrush tanning, complete with super-duper wall-fitted extraction unit (beautician's other half is MD of an extraction and ventilation company - v convenient!) and beautician uses all the proper equipment but even the extraction unit doesn't get rid of all of it!! :confused:

We provide our client with a mask and make sure the extraction unit's on. The airbrush unit is always set up correctly, yet you can guarantee spray tan residue everywhere that needs washing down (just useful it's a tiled shower room :lol: ). In addition, the extraction unit - which is on before, during AND for at least an hour after the treatment - cannot cope with the amount of spray produced and has a gorgeous habit of dripping green gunge down the wall for the next day or so (that'll be the Aloe Vera then - St Tropez) :o

Every beautician in our area that I've spoken to also agrees that St Tropez (and many other spray tanning systems) stain white equipment a nice salmon pink shade - even AFTER they've been thoroughly cleaned & bleached many a time :angry:

Anyhoo, just saying that it really is a minefield and I would say not really an ideal mobile treatment without proper ventilation (I know I'd seek compensation if some1 aggravated my asthma by providing me with a spray tan and not taking the proper precautions. Or if their spray tan system stained ANYTHING in my house!! :evil: ).

As for working from home, a friend of mine does spray tanning in her bath - WITH an extraction unit. It may not sound glam or professional to operate from your bathroom, but it's safer (ventilation-wise) and then you can clean it thoroughly and with ease afterwards. :D

Just my thoughts... xx

Latest posts

Back