The portable spray booth

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
where can i look at extraction units for mobile use??

Up To Scratch said:
Before any1 shoots me, I've not had a good look at these "pop-up tent"-style tanning booths, so I AM NOT SLATING THEM, as I really am not placed to do that. :o

Phew! Anyhoo...

There are many issues here that concern me, and Lily and Cathie have raised a good fair few between them. Any1 who says that St Tropez/Fake Bake Spray/Heavenly Bodies or any other airbrush tanning system doesn't produce overspray wants to come and see our salon or that of any other beautician in our area. :!:

We have a shower room which is used for airbrush tanning, complete with super-duper wall-fitted extraction unit (beautician's other half is MD of an extraction and ventilation company - v convenient!) and beautician uses all the proper equipment but even the extraction unit doesn't get rid of all of it!! :confused:

We provide our client with a mask and make sure the extraction unit's on. The airbrush unit is always set up correctly, yet you can guarantee spray tan residue everywhere that needs washing down (just useful it's a tiled shower room :lol: ). In addition, the extraction unit - which is on before, during AND for at least an hour after the treatment - cannot cope with the amount of spray produced and has a gorgeous habit of dripping green gunge down the wall for the next day or so (that'll be the Aloe Vera then - St Tropez) :o

Every beautician in our area that I've spoken to also agrees that St Tropez (and many other spray tanning systems) stain white equipment a nice salmon pink shade - even AFTER they've been thoroughly cleaned & bleached many a time :angry:

Anyhoo, just saying that it really is a minefield and I would say not really an ideal mobile treatment without proper ventilation (I know I'd seek compensation if some1 aggravated my asthma by providing me with a spray tan and not taking the proper precautions. Or if their spray tan system stained ANYTHING in my house!! :evil: ).

As for working from home, a friend of mine does spray tanning in her bath - WITH an extraction unit. It may not sound glam or professional to operate from your bathroom, but it's safer (ventilation-wise) and then you can clean it thoroughly and with ease afterwards. :D

Just my thoughts... xx
Hiya,

You have raised many points in this post which concern me too!! As you are aware Herman is a Dental Technician and uses MMA to make dentures etc and the smell is overpowering!! There is a big concern about the use of MMA and like you say why is there no legislation for spray tanning!! The HVLP sprayers come with a regulator but i dont know what the psi is, it should be 7 or lower for the body and i have heard of some people useing 20 psi:rolleyes: . The solution i use is water based, but it has started to turn my paintwork ie: skirting boards etc a salmon colour!! and i have a spray cubicle made of laminate and a large extraction unit fitted on the back. So even with a proper extraction unit i would never spray tan in a pop up tent. Also the level of psi is concerning when you think about it, if it is too high it could (not wanting to scare people but i do say COULD) cause embolisms!!

I dont think Aloe can cause the solution to green that is usually caused when the solution has de-stabilised! you need to keep it cold (mine is kept in the fridge).

Why is there legislations for spray tanning:mad:

Amanda

I dont think Aloe can cause the solution to green that is usually caused when the solution has de-stabilised! you need to keep it cold (mine is kept in the fridge). [/QUOTE]
Sorry, thought I'd better clarify, our liquid itself isn't turning green (no green people leaving the salon lol :lol: ), but the extraction unit (which really is the best one my colleague's other half reckons we could have fitted for the job) extracts the overspray/vapour, but struggles to extract all of it, dripping a nasty green liquid gunge (which I'm told is the Aloe Vera) down the wall - beautiful!! ;) Apparantly spray tan is VERY difficult to extract - especially the aloe vera element of the St Tropez. :rolleyes:

So my point really was how on earth is any1 supposed to offer airbrush tanning as a safe and effective mobile treatment, when our (very expensive) extraction unit doesn't manage to extract all of the excess product?! The mind boggles!

emmalouisa said:
where can i look at extraction units for mobile use??
This is like looking for the Holy Grail!!

I have searched high and low for this kind of thing but to no avail. As far as I can see proper ducted extraction is the only way you can do it effectively, or of course one of the purpose built booths.

When i did the St Tropez hands on course, they told us the green is in the solution, to prevent the skin turning orange! I have had it appear on customers armpits, it always seems to wash off, think it maybe something to do with deoderant. I do give them a wipe to take this off, but it sometimes still happens.

minnie mouse said:
When i did the St Tropez hands on course, they told us the green is in the solution, to prevent the skin turning orange! I have had it appear on customers armpits, it always seems to wash off, think it maybe something to do with deoderant. I do give them a wipe to take this off, but it sometimes still happens.
Yes the green armpits is due to deoderant, when anyone has a spray tan they must remove all traces of perfume, makeup etc!!

Amanda

[/QUOTE]
So my point really was how on earth is any1 supposed to offer airbrush tanning as a safe and effective mobile treatment, when our (very expensive) extraction unit doesn't manage to extract all of the excess product?! The mind boggles![/QUOTE]
Exactly!!!! you can't:rolleyes:

I knew what you meant about the green slime!! I did have visions of little green aliens leaving your salon for a split second lol

Amanda

Hiya
Ref green armpits, when I did my training course with United Beauty (Solglo) the trainer said you only had green armpits if there was alcohol in the solution which when deodorant was worn would make the armpits turn green. Also the HVLP systems I think you will find run at a much lower PSI than the air brush compressors hence High Volume LOW Pressure. The "paint sprayer" HVLP system has been modified (much finer needle) to take self tanning solution I doubt you would be able to spray a fence - not that I've tried it! I have a shower curtain which goes round the corner of my room, I have laminate flooring and there is skirting, I can honestly say I have NEVER had run marks on my shower curtains from overspray, or pools of solution on the floor, and all I need do is use a floor wipe to wipe down the area of skirting not covered by the curtain - and there is only the faintest trace and it aint green! lol!
HTH
Liz

Oops sorry forgot to say client stands on towel!!

IF THE PRODUCTS ARE NOT SAFE TO BREATH IN DURING APPLICATION ARE THEY SAFE ENOUGH TO GO ON THE SKIN???????

JUST A THOUGHT AS THE SKIN ABSORBS THIS TO. :cry:

dizzydupe said:
Hiya
Ref green armpits, when I did my training course with United Beauty (Solglo) the trainer said you only had green armpits if there was alcohol in the solution which when deodorant was worn would make the armpits turn green. Also the HVLP systems I think you will find run at a much lower PSI than the air brush compressors hence High Volume LOW Pressure. The "paint sprayer" HVLP system has been modified (much finer needle) to take self tanning solution I doubt you would be able to spray a fence - not that I've tried it! I have a shower curtain which goes round the corner of my room, I have laminate flooring and there is skirting, I can honestly say I have NEVER had run marks on my shower curtains from overspray, or pools of solution on the floor, and all I need do is use a floor wipe to wipe down the area of skirting not covered by the curtain - and there is only the faintest trace and it aint green! lol!
HTH
Liz
Hiya,
I think they modify the needles, but the pressure of the air coming through would still be the same and as i have said before there is no filtration in the system itself so it will blow out air it sucks in from around you!!! Basically it will suck in air (including dust particles) and then blow them onto the body with the tan. My hubby looked into this and actually spoke to the manufacturers of the HVLP systems. All i am saying is that if it does the job then great, but if it doesnt do it safely then be carefull

Amanda

Hi there

Does anyone know of this site
www.tantalk.com
don't know if there would be any more helpful information on here about this subject

Deb379

This is the type of thing me and a friend were thinking of building, using a charcoal filter. A bit Blue Peter looking but may help the problem.

Any views on this?

http://www.airbrushyou.com/products.html

Honest opinion? I think personally you look at the ingredients and if they are ok there is not much of a problem. If you are prepared to have them sprayed on yer own body then ok. I would much rather have a spray tan once a week than sit in the sun for 6 hours a day (I dont know 5 days a week?) for maybe max 8 weeks a year. Hey I am a West Coast of Scotland, fair skinned, blue eyed fleckled gal who doesn't have much choice (like Skin Cancer is a calling statistically!) Most spray tanned compressors started life as a spray paint machine in some sort of way - dont kid yerself!. Like Amanda has rightly said it is impossible to remove all the overspray but lets be realistic if your client comes along every 7/10 days is the overspray a problem? It doesn't look like it. Maybe for the operator a different story constantly doing spray tans but how many of us are really doing this? To me personally spray tans are a godsend, natural sun is not an option, I'll take my chances - wot about you?
Bon chance
Liz

I bought one last week - the black one advertised in scratch mag. Spraytancubicle.com
I considered a home made jobby but decided the pop up booth would look more professional, also v handy to take to evening events to demo the tan - always a good idea because of the instant result. it is washable , so you can pop it down put it in the garden and wash the inside with your garden hose, black doesnt show up the overspray. I think the client feels protected inside it - not 'exposed'whilst standing there almost(and sometimes completely!) stark naked!
It was £205 inc vat,but that is only 8 clients for a professional look.Its plenty big enough for arms above heads manouvers!
I had my compressor from body ultimate and I use their liquid, it seems v good. You can do 3 layers at once to build the colour which I have found 2 b effective, nice colour too.

Hi...
I have only just noticed this thread and would like to add what i personally experience and my humble opinion of course.
I do my spray tanning in my home salon. I have sectioned off an area with shower curtains and of course my client stands on a towel. In my room i also have a powerful extractor fan fitted. When spraying the clients body i offer a mask for them to wear (taking it off when i do there face of course!...lol). The amount of overspray does look very minimal until it settles, then you can really see just how much is in the air!!!!!! my walls which were white are now turning a nice shade of salmon pink! My extractor is always covered in dark brown overspray after spraying a client and needs cleaning, if it doesnt get cleaned (i would like to add at this point i have only ever not cleaned it once) and the brown overspray turned green! I leave the extractor on and open all windows and doors after each client and i am not doing one client after another like you would in a salon in town for instance, so if this is happeneing on such a small scale as this, what it must do in a busy salon certainly must be a lot worse.
I use the reccomended psi from the company i bought my compresser from and have been taught with my training.
I have also been told the dangers of using the air gun too near to skin at a high pressure can in fact cause a blood clot, and as we all know, if it goes to the brain it can be fatel!
Not wishing to frighten anyone or indeed put anyone off spray tanning as i think if used correctly and with the proper training and products it can and does give wonderful results.
I guess it is the same with any treatment you are offering a paying client...use the best products, get the best training and of course make sure you have insurance to cover your treatments.
hth's

Just an informative note to say that DHA (Dihydroxyacetone) is a product commonly derived from vegetable sources, often from sugar beets or sugar cane. It was "discovered" in the 1920's and later used for treatment of vitiligo. It has been used in sunless tanners from 1960's. It is skin safe and is only absorbed into the dead surface skin cells. Melanin or natural skin pigmentation is not affected, or increased by DHA.

Just a thought here for those of you who said your spray tanning is making your walls/skirtings salmon pink, how about painting the room in a pale salmon pink in the first place?:D :lick:

beautybonanza said:
Wow what a popular subject. Just thought i would say you can visit stand A818 The Spray Tan Cublicle at Prof nails and ask the all the questions about extraction etc. There is a offer price of £195 with your voucher. :D
Hi We got one from Envy Tan.com, they are in the USA but it cost just under £!00 including delivery, it took about 9 days to arrive and they are very helpful company:)

dizzydupe said:
Re extraction - I did the Solglo training course and asked that very same question. They said due to the fact there is very little overspray you dont need it. They are aiming this system at mobile techs as our trainer suggested you market for "Tanning Parties". Obviously this means going to someone's house and setting up and spraying about 6 people in one go. As has been suggested before you are better off (if you go down this route) buying the Sundrench machine for £99 (www.sundrench.co.uk), doing your own thing with a booth, buying whatever solution you decide on and saving yourself a boat load of money!

Good luck
Liz

Hi

EnvyTan.com a US company do the pop up booth, complete with hold all, for just under a £100 including delivery, very helpful company
Liz

Latest posts

Back