the stereotype

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlieeee

Reaction score
do you think there is a steroe type for hair beauty etc.
i think its normally skinny pretty girls but i would feel more comfortable around a larger person (dont mean any of this nasty btw), and all of my friends said they would expect them to be skinny pretty and young. so what do you think would it bother you if someone said you were do old or fat to be in this field.

i absolutely agree with ya flower - my hairdresser used to be size 22 - but by god she knows how to use a pair of scissors - and i recommend her to everyone - but she is not so good with a hairdryer (she is a trained barber) the girl i get to dry my hair is awesome too, and she not a size 10. me personnally go for exprince and on what ive seen -size dont come into it. think this is the same as nails, if you overweight, you shouldnt be doing it, but if you thin you should. its all wrong. the overweight girl can do just the same as the thin girl in my opinion - and i dont give a **** what size they are as long as they do a good job

:hug:

yeh i agree, when i went to a college taster day to see what it would be like if i go to that college all of the girls who would be on my course were all really skinny and pretty so it kind of put me of going there.

I'm old fat and ugly.....but my clients don't mind so long as they get great nails!

Dolly birds in salons put me off but that's just me as an old one!

It's your nail skills that matter, not what you look like!! ;)
I've never had anyone judge me on my appearance, one thing that did irk me though was when a client who had been booked in with me rudely requested for another nail technician to do her set, she wanted someone who had been doing nails for longer than what I have. There was no one else to do her, and she soon apologised when I had finished her fab set of l&ps ;)

lol thats what im a bit worried about tbh. people judging you by what you look like, im not ugly or fat but they still could lol

I hate stereotypes:eek:

A friend of mine introduced me to her friend.....then later she told me that they were talking about me,and her friend commented that she would not have placed me as a beauty therapist.....erm ok,i asked what she thought the "stereotype" was,and she answered,"oh the heavily made up" look:eek:

Apparently that was what she had been used to,and i hate that thats what pictures it for her for someone in the beauty industry....

i also see so many young girls,who seem to think its a breeze to work in this industry...the girls i trained with,over a half of them never pursued it once qualified.

As someone who was ex cabin crew aswell,the heavily made up pristeen look was a pre requisite which i hated!!!!

Im naturally tall and very slim,but i just hate to wear alot of make up.

As long as as i look presentable,wear a uniform,wear light make up,nails are well groomed and not too long,im happy in my skin:)

Oh and whats more important,can do my job with enthusiasm,and enjoyment,and the client is happy!

i also see so many young girls,who seem to think its a breeze to work in this industry...the girls i trained with,over a half of them never pursued it once qualified.

same happened withmy group

Im naturally tall and very slim,but i just hate to wear alot of make up.

dont blame ya hun

As long as as i look presentable,wear a uniform,wear light make up,nails are well groomed and not too long,im happy in my skin:)

couldnt agree more - im with you on this

Oh and whats more important,can do my job with enthusiasm,and enjoyment,and the client is happy!

which is the total point chicken lips

:hug:

it doesn't matter one bit to me what people look like in whatever field they do....as long as they can do it. But...i do think that its important to look the part....if i see a hairdresser with manky hair then of course i am gonna hope that she does my hair better than hers looks....i would expect a skin pro to have good skin.....and a nail tech to have good nails (enhanced or not)...size and looks are not important to me at all....slim, (hate the skinny word) or shapely, young or mature, it does not make anyone better than anyone else.

I am afraid we will never get away from stereotypes.

I remember when I applied to be a Governor at our local school, the Head asked the then Chair of Governors what I did and she said I was a nail technician - he was shocked and said but her children are so intelligent LOL - I have made him eat those words so many times since then as I am now his Chair of Governors. We do laugh about it though.

He is not so quick to jump to conclusions!

it doesn't matter one bit to me what people look like in whatever field they do....as long as they can do it. But...i do think that its important to look the part....if i see a hairdresser with manky hair then of course i am gonna hope that she does my hair better than hers looks....i would expect a skin pro to have good skin.....and a nail tech to have good nails (enhanced or not)...size and looks are not important to me at all....slim, (hate the skinny word) or shapely, young or mature, it does not make anyone better than anyone else.
my thoughhts exactly

I am so with you on this one......
The proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say, some look the part but thats all they can do lol.............look like and not do like !!!!!

When I started college , I was petrified that I "wouldn't fit it...
I was pleasantly surprised when i got there, and everybody was "normal" like me lol (well !!! )

People of all ages..youngest was just 0out of school...oldest was in her 50's

and it was great...
funnily enough..the only 1 "dolly bird" type thought she knew it all. as she had already done beauty...she knew **** all !
she was the one who when she opened her mouth the whole class went :rolleyes:

Anyway that's enough of me being a bit of a Meany ..(she just wasn't a very nice person either..this doesn;t have anything to do with her "look" btw)

My beauty therapist (who I haven't seen like forever)
was on the larger side (i hate saying that) she didn't wear make up and often had her hair scraped in to a pony tail....she worked from home.
and had just qualified...
I loved the bones of her...we walked in put the kettle on and made brews for whoever was waiting...

her house was constantly full....always people waiting there for their turn..

People loved her for her skill and personality...NOT what she or her house anything like that looked like ..

I actually said to my neighbour the other day, I need to change my appearance (weight, hair ..clothes etc...)
as I don't feel like I fit in the beauty industry ...

Now I am clued up...and hate when people judge others...and I have never really been judged on how I look....not for a long time anyway..

So I wonder why I still feel this way ????

All that matters to me is that they looked 'well cared for' in the area they specialize.

I have been to hairdressers who have styles and colours I wouldn't dream of, but I would only be turned off it was dirty or not styled.

I agree that I don't want my nails done by someone with poorly cared for nails, nor do I want a facial from someone with bad skin (which means I can never do facials...)

Size only matters to me if it's a personal trainer. I want to know that they practice what they preach - they should be an inspiration to me.

Other than than, size is irrelevant to me.

I would expect some one who was in the hair beauty etc industry to be well groomed but when it comes to size and age I really think its immaterial. Some times I find the young skinny pretty girls quite intimidating !

I don't mind size (let's just say you could make two people out of me!) , but when getting my "lady bits" waxed I prefer someone a bit older. I don't think I'd like to put a young girl through have to look at my old flabby "bits". Hygiene is important though, so she'd have to look "clean" and for me to see good practice.
Marion

I'm so glad I read this! I have to confess that I've been worrying about the "stereotype" and not conforming to it, I worry that I don't look "groomed" enough (wouldn't look tidy in a tin suit). When I think about it though, I wouldn't judge a hairdresser/nail tech/therapist on their looks (unless they had awful hair/nails/skin!) and I've had excellent services and customer care from all sorts of people. It's what's inside that counts I think. Funnily enough when I was nursing there was a shift where there was me and another girl on duty, both petite, young, blonde and madeup, and a relative said to us that she'd not expected much from two "dolly birds" but had been pleasantly surprised! I'm rambling now, sorry - what I'm trying to say is that I agree that you can't judge a book by its cover, and a good hairdreser/tech/therapist is a good one whatever they look like, providing they're professional looking.
And I've just had to deal with a very senior member of the medical profession who would sum up the word "bimbo" so there you go!

Latest posts

Back