The Sun: Fish Pedi Virus Timebomb!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveSparklesXXX

Reaction score
Anyone seen the front page of Brit Newspaper The Sun that fish pedicures are a virus timebomb and fears about Hep C and even HIV?

Fish pedi has been discussed before. But perhaps concerns about this treatment being raised so publicly will result in better reculations and professional standards for those providing it.

Perhaps this might build public attention like a little while ago in the UK when the issue of under 16's mis/using sunbeds became a hot topic and there has been changes in the law to safeguard young people.

Im not trying to dish fish pedi's, my sister's had one, but as our industry is on the front page of the biggest seller newspaper in the UK, I think its worth discussing. We may be asked about this by clients, friends, family etc and it good to share our thoughts

Any thoughts???

XXX

Fish pedi's sounded gross from the beginning and personally, I would never have one. I won't put my feet in a lake, let alone a spa with fish and everyone else's feet. :eek:

I guess the 'thing' to do is get a professional's word whether diseases can be spread in this manner or not.

If diseases CAN be spread in this type of environment, you will have one reaction/discussion, if not, than you would have another reaction/discussion.

I'm with Deanosnana here. I've always found the idea of fish pedis disgusting. Most states in the US have already banned them because they cannot be hygenically maintained.

After all, how do you sanitize a fish?

My opinion has always been the same from the onset about these fish pedicures. I wasnt suprised at all when i saw the front of the sun this morning. The article is also in my salon reception for others to decide what they think of it. Ive always aired the fact that I didnt like the thought of sticking my feet or anyone elses for that matter into a bowl of fish, sharing the same water and same fish that nibble on everyone else feet! Thats a whole lot of sharing I dont agree with!

They have never appealed to me to behonest, feet in a fish tank?! Sounds like something on celebrity get me out of here!
I think the risk is very low, but I do think it will put alot of people off.
And certain places in the US and Canada have already banned it as they dont think it's hygenic so there must be something in it?

I always was dubious too about the fish spa's. Also I read ages ago that they don't actually eat the dead skin they just release some enzyme on the skin and it makes the skin feel softer. The wee fishes still need fed don't they?

I feel sorry for the fish. Im a fish lover and a fish keeper. Im pretty damn sure if I had people stick their feet in and out of my tank every 20minutes Id end up with stressed and very unhealthy fish............saying that though Im hoping no-one would ever be daft enough to stick anypart of themself in my tank as I have piranhas lol x

I feel sorry for the fish. Im a fish lover and a fish keeper. Im pretty damn sure if I had people stick their feet in and out of my tank every 20minutes Id end up with stressed and very unhealthy fish............saying that though Im hoping no-one would ever be daft enough to stick anypart of themself in my tank as I have piranhas lol x

I just had to say... we too had 2 red bellied piranha and my husband put his hand in the tank every 2 weeks to do a water change, to remove old food, plants etc- and NEVER ONCE had a finger removed. Piranhas are actually very timid! lol xx

I just had to say... we too had 2 red bellied piranha and my husband put his hand in the tank every 2 weeks to do a water change, to remove old food, plants etc- and NEVER ONCE had a finger removed. Piranhas are actually very timid! lol xx

I have four redbellies...three are really timid and hide at cleaning time but the fourth isnt so timid , whenever im cleaning the inside of the tank with my scrubby thing (very technical i know lol) it will attack it ,chase my hand and generally be a pest lol I wouldn't put it past that one to bite if given the chance lol x

Suppiliers of dubious beauty and a tank of piranhas!! Ummmm interesting thoughts coming to mind he he he

XXX

I doubt very much whether HIV and HEP C are going to be passed on from one person to another , as firstly they are both blood born virus's and they both need direct contact with the mucous or blood of another person to penetrate the body's skin defence.
Unless 2 client's following each other have an open wound on their feet /lower legs in which case there is an extremely small risk but what are the chances of that happening??.

What can be infectious is the Verrucae virus, and other skin born infections.

And like most of you I have always been against them for this reason and also the fact that the poor fish are not in a healthy environment for themselves.
(I'm also a fish lover)

Suppiliers of dubious beauty and a tank of piranhas!! Ummmm interesting thoughts coming to mind he he he

XXX

If I could train my piranhas to use a file and polish I could make a fortune down at the local shopping centre im sure lol

If I could train my piranhas to use a file and polish I could make a fortune down at the local shopping centre im sure lol

This made me chuckle. xx

Lol!

I am with all you ladies; putting my feet in a tank of grubby water, let alone grubby water full of fish, after 10 other people has never appealed to me! A lot of my friends were first in the queue and thought I'd come round to the idea but no way. Also, I'm by no means a fish lover (petrified of them, even the tiny ones, don't ask lol), but am sure they are not being cared for properly in an awful lot of these salons. Just hope they are all responsibly sold on/re-homed in the fallout that will probably follow this article!

Just hope they are all responsibly sold on/re-homed in the fallout that will probably follow this article!

Guurrl, sit down. Let me explain sushi to you.

Guurrl, sit down. Let me explain sushi to you.

PMSL Awwwwwww Gr8 nailz!!!

I saw these fish for sale in Seapets the other week! xx

My thoughts re fish pedicures are on record here on this site .... I have always been very anti this gimmick treatment.

Not surprised at all to read what was said in the paper although I do question the Hep C and particularly the sensational remarks re HIV ... pretty rediculous I think. The thought of these pedicures is bad enough wthout the scare tactics.

My thoughts re fish pedicures are on record here on this site .... I have always been very anti this gimmick treatment.

Not surprised at all to read what was said in the paper although I do question the Hep C and particularly the sensational remarks re HIV ... pretty rediculous I think. The thought of these pedicures is bad enough wthout the scare tactics.

I do think the risks of catching Hep C or HIV would be pretty remote too; you'd probably be at more chance of catching something nasty by kissing someone!

I do think the risks of catching Hep C or HIV would be pretty remote too; you'd probably be at more chance of catching something nasty by kissing someone!

Absolutely agree with you and geeg! :)

Latest posts

Back