The ULTIMATE nail quiz!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ms.Matrix

Tweetacular Geek!
Reaction score
Alrighty guys....
As some of you know I plan to begin my manicuring classes this month so I can finally get my license! So I have to brush up on some of my nail technology and while I'm at it, you guys can too!

I am going to post a question,
someone will answer (hopefully) :rolleyes:
then that person will post a question

and we will all have a "mini refresher course"!

Ready?
Set......GO!!

What is the difference in Sanitation and Sterilization, and which should be practiced in the salon?

• Sanitisation refers to any procedure used in the salon to remove and reduce the risk of infection
  • Sterilisation is the complete destruction of bacteria and their spores
Sterilisation is therefore the most ' hygenic' option. It should be used in particular for tools -cuticle pusher, nipper, nail cutter etc. If sterilisation is used, the risk of infection to client or technician is less likely.

Sanitisation can be used for larger areas to be cleaned such as floors, chairs, reception area etc.

Q2 Limits to authority
Give two examples in the salon where you would seek the permission of others

Last edited:
  • Sanitisation refers to any procedure used in the salon to remove and reduce the risk of infection
  • Sterilisation is the complete destruction of bacteria and their spores
Sterilisation is therefore the most ' hygenic' option. It should be used in particular for tools -cuticle pusher, nipper, nail cutter etc. If sterilisation is used, the risk of infection to client or technician is less likely.

Sanitisation can be used for larger areas to be cleaned such as floors, chairs, reception area etc.

Q2 Limits to authority
Give two examples in the salon where you would seek the permission of others
Hellllo,
and thanks for playing!
Okay, one little correction :hug:

Sterilize means to make something germ-free by destroying all bacteria. The only way possible to have a sterile area is if it is sealed off from everything like air and human contact. So even for implements Sanitation is more practical. (In the State Board grading sense).

Okay....back to the Qti's question :D

Sterilize means to make something germ-free by destroying all bacteria. The only way possible to have a sterile area is if it is sealed off from everything like air and human contact. So even for implements Sanitation is more practical. (In the State Board grading sense).

Just to add and expand on this... Here are the full definitions:

Sanitation - To greatly reduce the number of pathogens (viral, bacterial, fungal) on a surface. The best sanitiser is soap and water. Other products such as hand cleaning gels (often mistakenly called disinfectants)

Disinfection - Destroys all living organisms (except funal spores) and is almost as effective as steralisation 99% of all living organisms. This can be achieved with bleach or a hospital grade disinfectant on hard surfaces and tools. It can not be performed on living tissue (us). This is the standard all salons/techs should strive for in their work environment.

Sterilisation - Complete destruction of all living organisms, including fungal spores. This requires extreme heat or steam, such as boiling or an autoclave and is more likely to destroy a lot of our equipment. This is a requirement for tools such as surgical equipment whenever blood is involved.

HTH's

Ah, that's what I want to hear!!! Get the old thinking caps on....and recall your glory days of class! :D

Alrighty....I'm a bit stumped by Qti's question so maybe we will move forward and await the answer from Qti (hope you don't mind, hun :hug:)

Next Question:
Give an example of a nail disorder and it's symptoms.

Ah, that's what I want to hear!!! Get the old thinking caps on....and recall your glory days of class! :D

Alrighty....I'm a bit stumped by Qti's question so maybe we will move forward and await the answer from Qti (hope you don't mind, hun :hug:)

Next Question:
Give an example of a nail disorder and it's symptoms.

OKaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy
Paronychia
Infectious inflammatory condition.
A cut or break in the skin that has been infected.
The cuticle and sidewalls are red and swollen.

Onycholysis
Nail seperation from the nailbed. Increased white area from the free edge.
Can be caused by trauma to the fe or length.

Q2 Limits to authorityGive two examples in the salon where you would seek the permission of others

Parental Permission to perform a service due to the client being underaged
Doctors permission to perfom a service due to contra indications

Question: contra indication and a contra action, what are these?

Contra Indication is a reason why a service should not be carried out.

Contra Action is a reaction to a treatment that has been given.

Q when performing a manicure on an elderly client with arthritis in the hands, which would be the best luxury treatment to give and why?

Contra Indication is a reason why a service should not be carried out.

Contra Action is a reaction to a treatment that has been given.

Q when performing a manicure on an elderly client with arthritis in the hands, which would be the best luxury treatment to give and why?

A. The best service for an elderly person with arthritis would be the Reconditioning Hot Oil Manicure, because the warmth will soothe the clients joints.

Q. How many phalanges are there in each hand, including the thumb?

Definately a paraffin treatment. Heat therapy can relax and help to heal muscle and soft tissue injury by increasing blood circulation. Heat also relaxes the muscles to increase mobility; espectially good to do before the client plans on doing any exercise.

Next Question: Can you perform services on a client with extreme Atopic Dermatitis? Can it be spread from person to person? Please define Atopic Dermatitis.

We answered at the same time Ms. Matrix!:smack:

Good answer with the hot oil mani!

Good question too, let me think on that one. . . .

A: 14 phalanges per hand? I think that's right . . .

I'll wait for a answer to my last before I post another question. I'll have to think of a really good one!

A. The best service for an elderly person with arthritis would be the Reconditioning Hot Oil Manicure, because the warmth will soothe the clients joints. Or a paraffin treatment for the same reason.

Q. How many phalanges are there in each hand, including the thumb?
Forteen

OMG I'm so slow LOL.

Next Question: Can you perform services on a client with extreme Atopic Dermatitis? Can it be spread from person to person? Please define Atopic Dermatitis.

Anyone feeling geeky enough to answer this one?

Definately a paraffin treatment. Heat therapy can relax and help to heal muscle and soft tissue injury by increasing blood circulation. Heat also relaxes the muscles to increase mobility; espectially good to do before the client plans on doing any exercise.

Whew! I had to go searching for this one!

Atopic Dermatitis is a form of Eczema characterized by itchy, inflamed skin. Atopic dermatitis is definitely not contagious; it cannot be passed from one person to another.

***I never knew that Eczema had different forms! See, this quiz is good for us all!***

Okay, next question:

Q: What is Bacteria? Give the two classifications of Bacteria.

I just wanted to expand the Atopic Dermatitis question to say that I would service the client unless the skin was extremely inflamed, broken or oozing. The condition itself is not contagious, but some other conditions the client may have could be spread through openings in the skin.

Whew! I had to go searching for this one!

Atopic Dermatitis is a form of Eczema characterized by itchy, inflamed skin. Atopic dermatitis is definitely not contagious; it cannot be passed from one person to another.

***I never knew that Eczema had different forms! See, this quiz is good for us all!***

Okay, next question:

Q: What is Bacteria? Give the two classifications of Bacteria.
Nonpathogenic (non harmful)
Pathogenic (harmful)

What muscles seperate the fingers and what muscles draw them together?

Latest posts

Back