The ultimate pedicure experience?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"spraying my tools with more disinfectant in front of my clients"

Disinfectant should not be applied again unless you rinse it as well. It is corrosive and should not be exposed to you or your client.

I treat all my pedicures as if I am giving them a facial. Gentle and fluid movements. Hot towels. Massage with every step. Scrubing the feet is with massage movements. Rinsing the feet massage movements. Nothing is rushed or rough. All natural ingredients are used at every possible step. Lemon and baking soda for callus care. Raw honey mask for hydration. Inhouse made sugar scrub with essential oils grapeseed oil and fine sugar. Massage with grape seed oil and an essential oil blend. I also have a diffuser with a nice essential oil blend going. I explain the benefits of each natural element to my clients and they feel totally secure. Using all natural ingredients is not only safe but also cost effective. I have cute ramikins for each setup which also makes for a good presentation. Seriously just rubbing a lemon on a clients foot makes them swoon. Check out some DIY natural beauty webpages and get some great ideas for your services. Your clients will be blown away!!

Yes that makes sense to me :)

Do many of you offer dry pedis and do you think the client's expectations/experience and/or the treatment's effectiveness is compromised at all? I'm not suggesting that it is, just wondering and interested :) xx
I'm curious about this also, I am mobile and have been looking at adding pedicures to my treatment list for some time. I have found a course at my young nails education centre using the Lomasi range which is for waterless mani and pedicures. My educator has told me that they will teach techniques on how to get the skin just as soft and remove calluses even better than you can with a soak. Greg has done a demo of a waterless Lomasi manicure on youtube but there is no video of the pedicure. I do have a lot of faith in my educator however I really would like to hear about someone else's experience with dry pedicures before I invest a lot of my money into it! I would 100% go for a normal pedicure with a soak if I was home based or in a salon but I think it does sound like a good idea for being mobile.

For waterless pedicures I just use callus peel. However I find a lot of ladies still like a soak and choose a traditional pedi. They're not to bad to do mobile. I used to have a pretty bag with my pedi products lined up in order of use. Personally I would do a traditional pedi course and buy products like callus peel for waterless, then you can keep all of your clients happy x

I've been looking into bowls for my pedis and have been reading about copper bowls - does anyone use these? I'm reading they help keep the water warm (makes sense being metal I guess) and are antimicrobial and reduces pain & inflammation which are very big claims indeed!
Anybody use one or have any knowledge of and/or comments?

Does anyone offer pedis to men, what's the deal with the massage and hairy legs please? I've had an enquiry from a client for her partner. Is it still enjoyable for them or would you skip that part? Thanks

Does anyone offer pedis to men, what's the deal with the massage and hairy legs please? I've had an enquiry from a client for her partner. Is it still enjoyable for them or would you skip that part? Thanks

Hi, yes pedicures for men are no problem. Same routines as for ladies but for the massage I would use an oil, and plenty of it, if they are very hairy so it doesn't pull. A warmed up ready blended oil with lemongrass or rosemary is popular.

If you want to do a posh pedi for men you could do:
  • sanitise feet
  • soak feet (get a cuppa for them)
  • cut & file nails
  • cuticle work if needed
  • apply hot aromatherapy oil, put in bag & heated booties for 10 mins
  • remove bag & carry out massage, adding more of same hot oil
  • sponge off excess oil, wipe with toner if still sticky
  • apply foot cream
Fab & you've gained a friend for life!

Hi, yes pedicures for men are no problem. Same routines as for ladies but for the massage I would use an oil, and plenty of it, if they are very hairy so it doesn't pull. A warmed up ready blended oil with lemongrass or rosemary is popular.

If you want to do a posh pedi for men you could do:
  • sanitise feet
  • soak feet (get a cuppa for them)
  • cut & file nails
  • cuticle work if needed
  • apply hot aromatherapy oil, put in bag & heated booties for 10 mins
  • remove bag & carry out massage, adding more of same hot oil
  • sponge off excess oil, wipe with toner if still sticky
  • apply foot cream
Fab & you've gained a friend for life!
Thank you, sounds amazing!

On a separate note, does anyone use anything to whiten the nails? Paste or a powder to add to the soak etc?

For waterless pedicures I just use callus peel. However I find a lot of ladies still like a soak and choose a traditional pedi. They're not to bad to do mobile. I used to have a pretty bag with my pedi products lined up in order of use. Personally I would do a traditional pedi course and buy products like callus peel for waterless, then you can keep all of your clients happy x
That's helpful thank you, I think I might do both courses because the waterless course goes very in depth into callus removal etc it seems like it is for more of a thorough pedicure than the usual spa pedicure. And then I might do a CND spa conversion so I can offer the spa pedicure as well, you need an existing pedi qualification to do the CND spa pedicure and there is no other decent training centres near me :(

Also when you're soaking your clients feet what do you tend to do? This is completely new to me as enhancements aren't so much of a spa experience where as a pedicure is, do you talk to your client or leave them to relax? I think if I was having a luxury pedicure I would want to just relax and not talk however I feel like just sitting there waiting in silence might be slightly awkward?

Hi hun you can use a slow cooker and keep it on low...

Ok so fresh from my course this week, we've been told calluses are on the "untreatable" list - you can do the usual removal of hard skin but no more as it can lead to it thickening again perhaps even worse if you remove a lot more, also leave new pink skin which is very tender. So basically refer to chiropodist

I was planning on getting Callus peel in as a stand alone treatment or an add-on, as crusty heels are surely one of the main complaints about feet but I feel there's a conflict ?

Ok so fresh from my course this week, we've been told calluses are on the "untreatable" list - you can do the usual removal of hard skin but no more as it can lead to it thickening again perhaps even worse if you remove a lot more, also leave new pink skin which is very tender. So basically refer to chiropodist

I was planning on getting Callus peel in as a stand alone treatment or an add-on, as crusty heels are surely one of the main complaints about feet but I feel there's a conflict ?

I offer Callus peel to clients, as do many other salons, it's been available for years.
Callus Peel works basically by dissolving the hard skin which you then scrape off. The company then advise to finish smoothing the heel with their smoothing file (which looks like white sandpaper really - 1 per client). In their instructions they specifically say not to follow with a 'grater' type rasp as this will encourage more hard skin to form.
So I think this covers your query.
The new UK Callus Peel is listed as a 'medical device' and is stated as being safe to use on diabetics (obviously more care with smoothing here) and pregnant ladies.

If you go onto Beauty Select website and go to the 'regulatory' tab you'll find all the PDF info sheets on both the original Callus Peel and the new UK Callus Peel.

I offer Callus peel to clients, as do many other salons, it's been available for years.
Callus Peel works basically by dissolving the hard skin which you then scrape off. The company then advise to finish smoothing the heel with their smoothing file (which looks like white sandpaper really - 1 per client). In their instructions they specifically say not to follow with a 'grater' type rasp as this will encourage more hard skin to form.
So I think this covers your query.
The new UK Callus Peel is listed as a 'medical device' and is stated as being safe to use on diabetics (obviously more care with smoothing here) and pregnant ladies.

If you go onto Beauty Select website and go to the 'regulatory' tab you'll find all the PDF info sheets on both the original Callus Peel and the new UK Callus Peel.
That does indeed answer my query, thank you CFBS for your (very informative) reply :)

Can I ask how long you'd carry out an "extended massage" for, for a luxury treatment? Is 10 mins appropriate (each foot/leg) or longer?

For my 'luxury' pedicures I add one of the following:
- Hot oil with heated boots
- mask with heated boots
- paraffin wax

I do a lower leg & foot massage that lasts no more than 5 mins per leg whether it's a luxury or traditional pedicure

In my ongoing quest to ensure that I am offering the absolute best treatments possible, I have turned my attention to my pedicures.

I am somewhat limited in that I unfortunately don't have the space to install a state of the art pedicure basin and big, comfy leather chair. However, I do the best with what I have available.

I always carry out a thorough consultation before each treatment, being sure to ask exactly what results they expect from the treatment.

I offer tea and filter coffee (well, in the form of coffee bags; individually wrapped) or bottled water, with a choice of individually wrapped biscuits - I work from home and don't want customers to feel like I've just lifted the opened pack from the kitchen :p

I use what I consider to be the best products. And explain why I'm using the products and how to maintain their results at home with aftercare.

I make a show of sanitising my/their hands and spraying my tools with more disinfectant in front of my clients - and the amount of clients who say this is the first time they've seen that is truly shocking!! I know there are dodgy cowboy places, but wow!

I make sure that my work is meticulous - cuticle work is perfect. I take my time with the massage and spend plenty of time on it, as this is my favourite bit as a client!

I have music playing in the background and follow their lead on talking. I don't have flowers in case some clients are allergic (and I haven't come across any really convincing fakes), but I do have some succulents on display and make sure that my workspace is spotless and always tidy.

My salon room is completely private and I don't answer calls/texts while I have a client, so my focus is on them.

I don't rush the job and help my clients on with their shoes - always recommending flip flops/sandals when they're having a treatment, etc.

I even have a stash of cheap umbrellas, just in case the rain comes on when they're due to leave.

If there anything else that you think makes a perfect pedicure? Or anything you recommend should be avoided! Lol!

I am making it my mission to experience as many pedicures as I can (it's a hard life, but someone's got to do it ;) ) but this takes time!

Thanks in advance :)

LOVE your efforts, have you considered developing your skill set further? - Do you know much about "Advanced Pedicure Treatment" or MEDI-PEDI?

LOVE your efforts, have you considered developing your skill set further? - Do you know much about "Advanced Pedicure Treatment" or MEDI-PEDI?
This is being discussed in another post re toenail reconstruction.
Do you have info re training please?

This is being discussed in another post re toenail reconstruction.
Do you have info re training please?
I've been looking at the medi pedi training and the one I can find is only for foot health care professionals. I would like some info on the training as well I think it would be brilliant to be able to offer

Latest posts

Back