The week between Xmas and New Year

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsHBeauty

Reaction score
Do you open, close, appointment only?

Xmas eve is Monday we will be closed Tuesday, Wednesday. Thurs - Sat are usually our busy times but not sure about this week.

How do you do it? How do you work it so its fair with all your staff? Do they take it as holiday? Or do you pay them as we'll as annual holiday?

:)

I'll be taking off Monday Tuesday and Wednesday, but open Thursday Friday Saturday and Sunday (usually closed Sunday and Monday), then closed Monday Tuesday and Wednesday. Depending on demand I might do 3 hours on nye and Xmas eve, but I would have to get a lot of demand, be booked back to back and take a 100% non returnable deposit. Xoxo

Il be working Xmas eve but only until 4 as I have young children and I need to be back to make everything ready for Santa :D.

Il be working 10 till 4 27th until 30th as busy with everyone wanting for new year. Also work 9 until 3 on 31st then it's party time and a big holiday for a week with the kiddies lol

I am closed xmas eve, xmas day and boxing day - back on the friday. Then closed new years eve and day. Then back :) but if we haven't got much booked in will just be hangin around for those treatments only.

The year before last I took £267 between Christmas and New Year, so last year we decided to close and refit the salon. No need for a refit this year but we'll be closed again. I work so damned hard the rest of the year, and there will be a lot of work to get ready to exhibit at the Pro Beauty Show in February, so it won't be a true rest, but it will be great to be able to faff about in my jimmy jams rather than having to get suited and booted!

The year before last I took £267 between Christmas and New Year, so last year we decided to close and refit the salon. No need for a refit this year but we'll be closed again. I work so damned hard the rest of the year, and there will be a lot of work to get ready to exhibit at the Pro Beauty Show in February, so it won't be a true rest, but it will be great to be able to faff about in my jimmy jams rather than having to get suited and booted!

I'm fully booked Xmas eve but that's it so far for that week so ill have 3 weeks off I think and re paint salon :) if I have a good Xmas I might get a new backwash x

We are open every day throughout Decmber then close at 2pm Christmas Eve. We then open on 2nd Jan. Im getting people want days in between Christmas and New Year, so I may open a day, but take 100% non returnable deposit.
xx

We used to close for the week but due to demand we started opening intbetween but we do shorter hours usually 9.30-6.30 but during Xmas week we do 10-5 that way it books them up more. It works really well for us and we do make a good extra bit of money

I close from Christmas Eve until the 2 January. Yes I could fill the time and make a bit more money, but frankly I would rather have the time off and enjoy it. There's nothing more depressing than going to work when everyone else you know is still in the festive spirit and enjoying themselves - there's more to life than money!

I close between after a full day on the 22nd and open again on the 2nd. My children are 11 and 13 and i'd rather be home with them whilst they still actually want to be with me. Definitely more to life than money!

That's were I'm torn at the minute. I have 3 kids 8, 6 and 3 but I would like my salon to open. I have never worked Xmas eve, we always head to soft play tires them out then home for an early night. My husband works what ever isn't a bank holiday, so I like to spend time with the kids. I have 3 staff and think ill operate on minimum hours, if there's nothing booked in then they don't have to come i.

Ill think a bit more about it.

Xx

Last edited:
That's were I'm torn at the minute. I have 3 kids 8, 6 and 3 but I would like my salon to open.

Xx

Exact the same for me, softplay is always so so quiet on Xmas eve so what better way to ensure I have 3 tired children! I have 2 weddings booked between Xmas and new year but that's all I will be working as hubby is working the whole time I am not :(

When I had a salon I found I was always fully booked for Christmas/ New Year's Eve, but often sat twiddling my thumbs as there would be so many no-shows due to last minute hitches. Even the best regular clients often cancelled last minute. So would recommend either opening and taking a non refundable deposit as some others here do, or having a well earned rest!

That's were I'm torn at the minute. I have 3 kids 8, 6 and 3 but I would like my salon to open. I have never worked Xmas eve, we always head to soft play tires them out then home for an early night. My husband works what ever isn't a bank holiday, so I like to spend time with the kids. I have 3 staff and think ill operate on minimum hours, if there's nothing booked in then they don't have to come i.

Xx

Just interested in this post because it will be my 1st Christmas with staff !
Surely if you have staff, that will have to be paid during Christmas period they could work what's needed and you could be at home with your family ?
I usually open just a day between Christmas and new year, and will probably get my therapist to do this.
Unless of course they are taking this as paid holiday.
What do other salon owners do ?
X

I was open last year aswell and the safe went in as normal and I didn't, this year I have actual hours in the salon as beauty therapist which would be 9.30-7 on the Thursday.

BUT I can do what I like so to speak, I can certainly close Thursday u til 2 when one of my therapists start.

I suppose we'll have to see nearer the time what the demand is like. I was think owning 4 hours Thursday, 4 hours Friday (4 hours for each therapist but not me) then as normal Saturday and Monday.

Last edited:
So if the girls don't want to take the time off as paid holiday and you don't want the salon to open, you will have to pay them their normal hours anyway ?
Think I need to look at this period ASAP as its fast approaching !

If they don't want to take it as paid holiday then I will let them open up, not have it off paid.

I might be think to much about them wanting time off, for a I know they may want to work.

Last edited:
I'm off from 22nd dec until 2nd jan, as people say I've worked so hard all year and I think I deserve the week off to get ready for Xmas with my two little girls, and a lot of my clients know this. And only had 1week off thought out this year :) so will be having a good Christmas this year x

We are open 24th and 31st 8am - 2pm, we are closed then closed the 25th, 26th, 1st and 2nd however because the girls are coming in 24th & 31st they are having the 27th and 3rd as days in lieu of this... we wil be open 28th and 29th and then back open from 4th Jan normal hours!

We are pretty much full up 24th and 31st, and we're filling up 28th & 29th. Its working quite well at the minute.

I have been open the last few years and found it just isn't worth it. This year I'm off to visit family in Australia, all my reg clients are aware and I've sorted their apps for 2 weeks before Christmas and they will all be due when I'm back. Yes we are all in it to earn a living but at christmas family come first. I am so flexible with my clients throughout the year, even opening up for them if im closed on a Sunday or a Monday and if they cant allow me time at christmas then BAH HUMBUG!

Latest posts

Back