The week between Xmas and New Year

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gosh, I am just reading all the posts and I am the total opposite!! For the first year ever I am taking Xmas eve off!!! But going in on Sunday 23rd (I'm usually off sun & mon) at the moment I'm fully booked on the 22nd and 23rd. Only a few spaces left on the 21st!!!! So I'm off on Xmas eve, Xmas day and boxing day. I normally take the 27th off but I'm going on holiday on the 30th dec....clients in an uproar!!!...so I'll be in 27th, 28th, 29th and I'm full on the 28th and 29th....and it's only bl00dy october!!!!!

This will be my first Christmas in my new salon but I have decided to close Christmas eve, though I will open Sunday the day before and taking a non-refundable deposit. It's the first Christmas eve I've had off in 16 years and I'm really looking forward to it.
I'm not sure what days I will be doing inbetween as it depends on how many booking I get. I will also be taking a non-refundable deposit vfor these days too.:)

I usually open xmas eve but not sure as it falls on a monday. We are getting booked up all the week up to 23rd Dec, so if takings are good and clients happy i may well close and spend time with my family.

Most of our regulars come to the salon inbetween xmas and new year, but maybe do shorter hours and staff rota their days.

Are you all busy in Jan/Feb or do you have extra hols too?

Hi!! I usually open for a day or two between Xmas and NYE but this year have decided to close the week Inbetween as its sooo busy up to Xmas I think we deserve a break too! My experiences opening between are that it is usually booked up but when you return to work you will be left with cancellation messages, no shows due to people having no money or so wrapped up In The festive spirits they forget! Also people who have nails for Xmas will still have a perfect set for NYE (shellac, extensions) I'd say have a break :) xxx

Just wondering who is opening their salons between christmas and new year...? Every time I have done it, I get an abundance of no shows so Im closing from 24th until 2nd Jan.
Slightly worried about 9 days with no income - but Im not sure its worth paying staff and heat and light etc for no shows.
What are you guys doing?
xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm opening Christmas Eve half day then closing until sat 29th, then half day on mon 31st and then reopening properly on 2nd jan! Xx

The salon I'm in is open on the Friday & Saturday between & N Y Eve half day, if it's open, so am I.

It's closed from 1st to 8th, so undecided to bring my kit back with me in case anyone calls me for mobile work.

We are usually quite busy between Christmas and New Year as people have parties to go to.
We are closed 24th,25th,26th and 27th and then open back up again on 28th,29th,30th and 31st.
Then we are closed until the 8th Jan-a whole week off-whoop!!

I am!
Closed half day xmas eve, all xmas day & Boxing Day then back to work until New Years. I wouldn't normally. I like to go away for xmas, but there were just not enough hours! Lol x

We close at 1 Xmas eve back in on the fri sat and New Year's Eve although shorter hours we have a lot of regulars who don't do their hair at all

I'm in 27th 28th 29th and 10-2 nye xoxo

oooh Am I the only one :eek:
Well, I plan to work my ass off 6 days a week in December to pay for the lovely 9 days off :biggrin: I just hope its enough! lol
Best start upselling more I think...
xxx

I'm working 24th 31st then nothing till 9th as having a spruce up x

Salon is open 7 days a week all December, we finish at 4pm on Christmas Eve, do our secret santa, have a glass of bubbly and talk about our Christmas plans, then we close for 4 days, reopen for Saturday 29th and Monday 31st December, 2 more days closed and then back to normal life.

x

I'm taking 8 days off.

CLOSED - 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th
OPEN - 27th, 28th, 29th
CLOSED - 30th, 31st, 1st, 2nd
OPEN - 3rd onwards

I work from home so all appointment only - I haven't taken any deposits but now thinking I should have done! I've got 62 appointments booked this month already.

xxx

I'm open until 22nd Dec. For the past 5yrs I've closed on Xmas eve as I used to get a lot of no shows and thats still with deposits taken.
However I am open 27th,28th and 29th and then off for a whole week. Yippee...

Close Saturday the 22nd re open on the 28th. I hate working between Xmas and new year as all my family live away and it doesn't give me enough time to visit. I miss my mum terribly and 3 days isn't enough for her to spend with her 3 grand kids when she only sees them twice a year however I have to use all my holiday entitlement in the summer hols and October half term so needs must :(

Hello fellow geeks...
who is working over Xmas and new year and what sort of shifts do you have to do..
i'm working right up untill xmas but xmas eve and boxing day off but working 10 till 7 new years eve then 9-6 new years day.. really not looking forward to it..:cry::cry::cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in everyday until Xmas day. Xmas day and Boxing Day off then back in till Hogmanay (9-2) then off 1st 2nd and 3rd. It makes u sick when clients come in bragging "oh I'm off for 10 days" blah blah! Ha xx

This being my first year in the business, I didn't realise just how much I took for granted my previous jobs getting a Christmas shutdown of 2-3 weeks !!

I'm in Christmas eve until 3, then off for 3 days, back in Fri & Sat & N.Y.Eve until 4, then off for 8 days.

But am thinking of taking my kit home in case anyone wants mobile nails in the mean time !!

Latest posts

Back